swotcox

Ban period?

raff

******What I do see is you coming here and asking a bunch of us our opinions. But not being there, not knowing you, only hearing your side of the story, and a general lack of information and context make our opinions completely irrelevant.

You were not there, not knowing me, but you're pretty sure that I have exhibited bad judgement in the past.
WOW!I can guarantee you've exhibited bad judgement before. You are coming here to solicit support against the person/persons who have disciplined you at your home DZ. That speaks volumes about your judgement. You have a lot to learn about getting along in the culture; this one and/or any other.

I think that's a bit rough. You dont know him or what he has or has not done before. You may be right, but you dont know for sure.

I've nearly been unfairly grounded before. I had my new B license and I was visiting a new DZ. I had only jumped at my home DZ prior so this was my first jump at new DZ. Anyway, the rule was first down sets the pattern at the new DZ I was visiting (which is not the rule at my home DZ). I ended up doing a high pull so I landed way, way last. I looked at the pattern of the last person who landed a few min before me and I copied their pattern. Well, they landed in the wrong direction apparently and the GSO chewed me out for copying her. In reality, I was the last person (by far) to land, so there was no risk of jousting anyway. He threatened to ground me, even though it was my first time jumping at that location, I followed the pattern of the last person I saw land, and there was no one around so it dident really truly matter what direction I landed.

He ended up letting me go, but I would have been pissed (and taken my business to another DZ), if I got grounded for that considering there was no safety risk and I did what I was told to do in the briefing.

My point is sometimes people make legitimate mistakes and the punishment should fit the situation. If he was in trouble lots before, then grounding is appropriate. But in some cases it's not.

My point is sometimes people make legitimate mistakes and the punishment should fit the situation. If he was in trouble lots before, then grounding is appropriate. But in some cases it's not.

Very true. I've no idea if he was treated fairly or not. I just found it rather odd that anyone would look here for support on such a thing.

swotcox

In your opinion how long should a jumper be banned who exited while no lights on?

It depends. Are you usually a pain? Are you someone who helps out around the DZ? Did you land off on your last jump? Are you an excellent packer? Am I just generally pissed off that day? Do I need you for a Tandem on the next load? Do you run to the internet crying instead of owning it and saying you F'd up, you are totally sorry, you get it and you will fix this shit?

As you can see, it can get very complicated. That said, if it was just a one off dumb ass move I'd give it to the experienced jumpers and let them sort you out.

swotcox

seems you know everything. but umm.. i dont have a home dz.
anyway its nice to meet you raff the GOD.

There is no such thing/person as a skygod. Get that out of your head.

Anyone arrogant enough to consider themselves as a skygod, is nothing of the sort. Wanker would be a much more appropriate description...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

***seems you know everything. but umm.. i dont have a home dz.
anyway its nice to meet you raff the GOD.

There is no such thing/person as a skygod. Get that out of your head.

Anyone arrogant enough to consider themselves as a skygod, is nothing of the sort. Wanker would be a much more appropriate description...

In my understanding the two terms are pretty much synonymous. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Westerly

He ended up letting me go, but I would have been pissed (and taken my business to another DZ), if I got grounded for that considering there was no safety risk and I did what I was told to do in the briefing.

You were told to follow the person before you in the briefing despite the DZ rule was follow the first down?
Somehow I doubt that.

Regarding Westerly:
yoink

You were told to follow the person before you in the briefing despite the DZ rule was follow the first down?
Somehow I doubt that.

So how is a high puller supposed to see the first down? He might be well be a mile away at 5000 ft when jumper #1 is about to land.

(It might not be impossible to spot the jumper, but much of the high puller's focus during the first minute of canopy flight might have to be looking carefully at the DZ area, to the detriment of anything else they might be doing.)

So I could see that someone just follows the prior jumper when approaching the DZ, expecting that everyone else has gotten into the correct pattern.