bellringer

Sony HDR-CX155E 4 way question

For 4 ways it depends how far from the formation you fly, but for big ways you will probably need a wide angle lens. That is 24mm and bellow. I'd strongly advise buying a sony action cam or gopro for this purpose. IF there is no need for editing you really only gain bulk.

so there are better cameras that the cx155E for video. Why are you choosing that one in particular? Just curious.

That being said if you are going to use that camera the correct wide angle lens depends on your flying style. meaning how close you fly to the team. I typically used a .5 wide angle lens it was side enough for me to make sure I got a good exit and to keep the team in frame when I was flying. If you fly super tight with your team you'll need something wider.

Honestly for big ways I didn't use a wide angle lens. I flew high enough above the formation to keep it in frame without a wide angle lens.

You'll have to play around a little bit to find the set up that works with your style of flying. I'd recommend starting with the .5 wide angle lens and going from there. Make sure you buy one that matches the threads on the camera, try no to use a step down ring if you don't need to they can cause some problems on some cameras. Also another thing to think about is, are you going to shoot stills. You want to make sure that the lens for your camera match your wide angle lens so your photos match what your shooting on video