Rashiid

HUD Altimeter inside a full face helmet

Would anybody be interested in a HUD altimeter projecting on the visor of a full face helmet? It sounds like a good idea to have such a thing projecting on the upper right hand corner of the visor .. but the only thing I thought about is where to mount the projector inside the helmet and a million other things to think about. It seems like a an interesting idea that I would love to work on for my senior project class next semester, any tips or help/thoughts about this project would be appreciated !

I rarely look at my altimeter and use it as a back up for my eyes. I keep it mounted on my mudflap and glance at it around pull time and canopy deployment. The rest of the time, it's rarely used. Audible is used that way too. I don't think the market would be very large or justify the time and effort to design, build and then market. My $0.02....
Dano

Been using the Hypoxic Led for years now. Right in front of my eyeball, really grabs your attention esp. when your busting your target altitude.

Simple, reliable and brainless. There is such a thing as TMI, same reasoning as in raising altitude anytime you do anything new or different.

On the other hand under canopy, the garmin gps's they gave us for calculating slope and distance to target really are the balls as well. Nothing like popin out of cover right over the target to realize those things are great,...but not for all occasions.

I really can't recommend having the likes of a pinball machine in your face during free-fall. Again, TMI. Too big of a distraction. The single red led blinding you at 2200 is just fine to jog anyone's memory.

On the other hand under canopy, the garmin gps's they gave us for calculating slope and distance to target really are the balls as well. Nothing like popin out of cover right over the target to realize those things are great,...but not for all occasions.

Are you claiming to be some sort of military jumper now? This oughta be good.

- Dan G

LeeroyJenkins

That would be sweet awesome to use wing suiting.

While not recommended to use as an altimeter, I use my Flysight alarms to voice the altitude at 10,000, 9,000, etc all the way down to breakoff.

Recently I was a breakoff leader in a bigway event. I could keep my eyes 100% fixed on my formation references and still know where I was in the altitude. 7,000, 6,000, and then just waiting for the audible altimeter to beep at 5,000.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

DanG

I train Military personnel.

Garmin has a number of products as described.

Do you have a point with your posting? Or are you just an idiot with a big mouth?

Software updates are available for many units.

They are a lot of fun to use in the clouds and at high altitudes as well.

They are very easy to read and invaluable in stronger winds aloft situations to determine if your going to make it to the target. And or in assisting in locating alternate landing sites.

JVXReBornFU

I train Military personnel.

Garmin has a number of products as described.

Do you have a point with your posting? Or are you just an idiot with a big mouth?

Software updates are available for many units.

They are a lot of fun to use in the clouds and at high altitudes as well.

They are very easy to read and invaluable in stronger winds aloft situations to determine if your going to make it to the target. And or in assisting in locating alternate landing sites.

Nice. A brand new poster with no profile and a REALLY cool handle jumping into defend ChrisD. I wonder who it could be?