sedsquare

Wingsuit Cypres

LeeroyJenkins

***Now that the wingsuit Cypres has been out for a little while, does anyone have any first hand reviews? Likes and dislikes? Is it worth it in your opinion if you wingsuit exclusively?

It really depends on what main you use for wing suiting if its worth it or not.How does the main have anything to do with it? The WS Cypress, as I understand it, basically operates in 'student mode' (45 MPH) until it detects a parachute activation, then it switches over to Pro or CP mode depending on how you set it so you dont have an AAD fire if you swoop your canopy in.

I dont really see the market for it personally. If your suit is so large that you're truly worried that an AAD in pro mode wont activate, then very likely you're also running a low WL on a wingsuit specific 7-cell which means you're not likely to swoop that in anyway.

Just take this for what it's worth, I don't really care if you buy one or not ;)

Pros:
1 - Might help in a very rare event (among very rare events) that has only been documented a couple of times; and for which we can't be certain an AAD activation would have been effective (supine righ rate flat spin at slow vertical speed; reserve deployment likely "impeded;" and the scenario is basically untestable because of risk to the jumper).

Cons:
1 - More bits = more things to break/fail/need batteries (lose your helmet (lost/stolen/etc) with the cypress dytter, AAD now temporarily useless.
2 - More complicated function of a device (all AADs) that aren't exactly error free. Also requires "user participation" i.e. you have to hear it to know it's working; I don't know about you, but I've missed an audible tone before.
3 - You can only ever sell it to WS ppl, smaller market, not everyone wants one, even smaller market.
4 - If I'm not mistaken, it is WS only, so if you ever want to do anything else, your AAD is useless because you have to turn it off (I'm not 100% sure on this one).
So, you be the judge.

OldGregg

Just take this for what it's worth, I don't really care if you buy one or not ;)

Pros:
1 - Might help in a very rare event (among very rare events) that has only been documented a couple of times; and for which we can't be certain an AAD activation would have been effective (supine righ rate flat spin at slow vertical speed; reserve deployment likely "impeded;" and the scenario is basically untestable because of risk to the jumper).

Cons:
1 - More bits = more things to break/fail/need batteries (lose your helmet (lost/stolen/etc) with the cypress dytter, AAD now temporarily useless.
2 - More complicated function of a device (all AADs) that aren't exactly error free. Also requires "user participation" i.e. you have to hear it to know it's working; I don't know about you, but I've missed an audible tone before.
3 - You can only ever sell it to WS ppl, smaller market, not everyone wants one, even smaller market.
4 - If I'm not mistaken, it is WS only, so if you ever want to do anything else, your AAD is useless because you have to turn it off (I'm not 100% sure on this one).
So, you be the judge.

Just a some info for you. You do not have to use the audible portion of it. It’s advised but if you trust it to save you you should trust it to switch modes. It works for non wingsuit jumps as well. The programming can tell the difference.

Thanks for the update LJ

I'm of the thought process that I definitely do not trust an AAD to save my life, if I ever do fire one and live to tell the tale, I'll probably stop jumping, because that is an epic f-up. I do however trust the big name ones in their decades long tested formats not to kill me during a regular jump. So for me an AAD is a hope and a prayer, not a life saving device I'm willing to lean on for assistance. But that's just my 2-cents.

(Yes I do jump with an AAD, yes I always turn it on; so I'm not "anti-AAD")

OldGregg

Thanks for the update LJ

I'm of the thought process that I definitely do not trust an AAD to save my life,

I think that AADs are quite reliable. They have saved thousands of lives so far between the three major brands. I can only think of one instance where an AAD failed to activate when the speed and altitude parameters were met. In every other case I've heard of the AAD activated as designed. There have been a few instances where the reserve did not open in time, but that could be possibly mitigated with a higher activation altitude setting.

OldGregg

works fine without the dytter ... you just have to rely on it switching

OldGregg

4 - If I'm not mistaken, it is WS only, so if you ever want to do anything else, your AAD is useless because you have to turn it off (I'm not 100% sure on this one). <- which is kinda a problem with their marketing.

after 8sec canopy flight it switches back from wingsuit to normal mode. you can choose if normal mode should be expert or speed. so you can use it for whatever you want.

When jumping a bigger canopy you dont need to use the audio device either. Ive never had it not signal deployment correctly. Though on smaller canopies, it would be recommendable to use, as you could potentially fire it (like a student AAD), should the mode switch not have detected the opening.

I actually have 2 of the dytters (in camera and non camera helmet), which helps with that as well. Its not that pricey to have a second audio unit.

4 - If I'm not mistaken, it is WS only, so if you ever want to do anything else, your AAD is useless

Incorrect as well. Its just a normal AAD, that on deployment switches to normal AAD function.
Only during freefall, it uses a different value for activation. So in freefall you technically have a student cypres, but on opening it reverts to normal mode.
There is zero difference in how it functions on a WS or normal freefall jump.

With more and more people jumping bigger wingsuits, chances of 'freefall' descend rates under those of AAD activation speeds are a lot bigger. In my view its worth the extra added safety for anyone who sees wingsuit as their main discipline.

3 - You can only ever sell it to WS ppl

Seeing how many people, ws and non ws, are always in search of AADs, I dont think resell vallue is ever an issue.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Please do not take this personally, but I sincerely hope no one takes things you write on this forum at face value.

I originated the idea of using a vigil in student mode, on here are a brain fart a few years ago when wingsuit cypres didn't exist. Now that WS cypres exists, and if I were to buy an AAD, I'd advise strong consideration for the device.

Purpose built components typically perform better than hacks.

But beyond that, I would absolutely advise against "just set your AAD to student / intermediate (mars) mode" because that is a recipe for disaster. Two outs are no joke.

Lots of people fly gear setups for which an activation speed of 40 mph is safe, but you absolutely need to do the homework to confirm that your particular gear setup will not trigger your AAD. I personally know a number of people for whom this is safe. And a number for whom it is not. If you don't know what to do homework-wise, please consult your local master rigger or canopy coach. Or better yet both.

Like all of the rest of skydiving, it is the respect and sytematic mitigation of the risks that drives safely.

Lots of people fly gear setups for which an activation speed of 40 mph is safe, but you absolutely need to do the homework to confirm that your particular gear setup will not trigger your AAD. I personally know a number of people for whom this is safe. And a number for whom it is not. If you don't know what to do homework-wise, please consult your local master rigger or canopy coach. Or better yet both.

This right here.

Most of us use flysights, don't turn it off for you canopy ride and compile a graph of canopy speed using excel, also after every jump check you AAD and get the speeds off of that. If you have a digital alti get the speeds from that, graph it, decide if you can safely use student mode. Personally I lowered the activation altitude of student mode and can use it because I fly a specter, so as long as I don't do any front riser spirals I dont get close to the activation speed.

Thanks for the update @mccordia

So basically it is a student Cypress until it "switches?" So the feature is a Student to Pro on the fly change?

If that's the case you may want to suggest they include such a description in their advertisements (I like to think I'm not stupid, and I read the website info on it and still wasn't 100% clear on how it works, esp if it doesn't switch for whatever reason).