urowolf

Renegade Canopy

urowolf

Stickied it for you. Ant that opening looked funky. And why would you need airlocks on a low performance 7 cell? Doesn't seem worth the extra pack volume which seems to be a good selling point on a wingsuit canopy, lowest pack volume to fit a larger canopy in a tiny container.
Whats the point of living if you aren't doing what you love?

DanielRistow

And why would you need airlocks on a low performance 7 cell?

Presumably to create something a bit sportier than a "low performance 7 cell." Airlocks also add stability in turbulent conditions which can be plus for those of us jumping in the desert.

I think it's a fair statement that many of the new WS canopies are making a compromise where they give away a meaningful amount of flying performance in exchange for improved opening behavior. This appears to be an attempt to find a more desirable middle ground. I haven't flown one, but I don't see the value in knocking his idea.
Apex BASE

I believe the point of airlocks is solely to help prevent collapses and increase stability in turbulence by keeping the cells pressurized. I am not sure that airlocks are intended to have much benefit on performance. I dont see how having them would change the flight of the canopy under normal conditions.

Anyway, the Renegade has three sections in the outer cells (as opposed to two in the other five cells), making it unique. I dont think I've seen that before.

Here is another video of the canopy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=49&v=BxhfCpOJFjI

Here's an excerpt from an admittedly old article on this site about air locks:

"Simply put, an 'Airlock' is a system designed to contain the internal pressure of a ram-air canopy, and therefore its airfoil shape. In short, the air goes in, but it doesn’t go out. If the wing’s shape is not reliant upon the relative wind (created by airspeed), then the performance range is consequently expanded and enhanced in every respect. In addition, the theory holds, such a self-contained airfoil will not distort or be otherwise adversely effected by turbulent flying conditions."

If I'm understanding correctly the argument is that increased stability should lead to more consistent performance, which could certainly be considered a performance benefit. I do think I understand your point though, in that air locks in and of themselves won't change flight characteristics (aside from consistency).

At the end of the day it's another option, and it's different from what else is out there. That's good for jumpers...so yay Renegade!
Apex BASE

Helmut

wonder how different it is from the lotus.

Well for one the Louts is a 9 cell with a higher aspect ratio and the Renegade is a 7 cell with a lower aspect ratio. I suspect the Renegade is closer to other non-WS specific 7-cells like the PD Storm than it is to a WS specific canopy like the Epicene. I dont think Brian would make a canopy that is extremely vanilla and boring to fly. However, that's what WS specific canopies are. They are usually LPV low bulk PN-9 type fabric that's intended to be as reliable and predictable as possible. I've flown the Epicene and the Horizon and found they fly like a semi-truck with flat tires, but that's the trade-off when you want opening reliability. I am not sure that anyone can make canopy that flies like a sports car while also making it rock-solid stable with 15 linetwists after a bad WS opening.

Of course this is speculation as I have not flown a Renegade, but I'll report back if/ when I do. :)