drdm

Tunnel exercises for aspiring camera flyer?

Hey skyfolk,

Aspiring potential camera flyer here (and before you jump on me with "at just over 200 jumps?," in Germany you can start jumping with small GoPro type camera after 100 jumps, so I've got 70ish jumps with a camera, including a dozen or so dedicated "outside camera" attempts on 2- to 4-ways), with a question about outside camera flying training / practice... A bit before the end of the season, some friends and I put together a beginner class 4-way team, with me as outside camera (which I really enjoy, as I have all the fun and challenge of chasing and staying on-point through the different configurations without having to actually remember the turns ;), plus an extra minute of canopy time, which I find quite relaxing)... Anyway, on to the actual question.

The rest of the team is planning on doing a big tunnel session over the winter for training. I was joking around with them "yeah, so I'll get in first, wait in place at the top of the tunnel for 2 minutes, and then get out last," but that joke got me thinking... Experienced camera flyers, are there any tunnel exercises that you've found useful for getting better at camera flying? At this point it's just belly flying, and no wings, as I'm rather small and light, so keeping up with the team is more of a concern than sinking out. Thanks, and blue skies!

If you are serious, get a camera suit. Small or not, the angle is important. Some of the exercises my coach put me through are: Burble flying (start high and slow and make sure the coach is good at avoiding you). Dropping straight down vertically. You have played catch up with a funnel. It works great. Ascending vertically. When you come off the plane a bit early.... Relax and have fun with a game of "TAG". The coach touches a place in the tunnel and you touch it. Doing the same moves as your coach. Just a few suggestions. Good luck and have fun.
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Thanks for the pointers! I'll talk to my instructors and some of the local camera flyers about flying with a suit when the next season starts up, and in the meantime, see if I can squeeze in some of the other exercises you mentioned in the tunnel. Blue skies!

A few things I like to practice in the tunnel:
1. Without wings slow fly. Try to fly as slow as possible. Learn the optimal body position and how engaged I need to make my legs.
2. Focus on keeping my head stable. You can really spend time on locking your head and the helmet in the tunnel. A shaky head=shaky video.
3. Mantis position. Slide slides. Using your knees not your arms. Basic belly to the earth body flight will make you such a better flier.
Depending on your wings setup you may need to wear a climbing harness and tape up any exposed metal in the tunnel. I personally would spend as much time working on belly skills before working with wings.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC