Chris-Ottawa

Similar to Katana, but newer design?

Looking for opinions/help on where to go for my next canopy.

Currently jumping a Katana 97 (@1.54), and I'm looking for an updated wing, not necessarily more performance. I did buy a VE84 last year and honestly didn't care much for it. Jumped a Gangster 96 recently and it was amazing, but I'm too cheap to buy new (plus it was a bitch to pack so I'm definitely looking used).

Most people do the Katana to VE/VC transition, or maybe to the VK, but I'm not out for more performance. I like the Katana, but wonder of I'm missing out on newer tech. Maybe I should just stick with the Katana, it is still a blast.

I'm considering the following:
Crossfire?
Neos?
Smaller Katana?
Suck it up and get a VC?
JFX?
What about the Mamba?
Gangster (If I can find a used one)
Something else I haven't heard of?

Opinions/Thoughts/Recommendations?

Thanks!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Gangster is definitely your best bet. I have about 500 jumps on Katanas and after having recently jumped a Gangster, I can honestly say that the Gangster represents everything the Katana was supposed to be. It has the dive and recovery of a high performance elliptical, power behind the rears and toggle inputs (where the Katana severely lacked), and harness inputs that fall in line behind cross-braced counterparts (such as the Velocity) but ahead of the tamer canopies (such as the Sabre 2). Where it completely destroys the Katana is in the openings. Out of my canopy flying experience, which is extensive (I take advantage of demo programs like they're going out of style), the Katanas were the most lacking on opening, and Fluid has done a great job in enhancing the opening experience. I currently own an Airwolf but have flown the Gangster, Helix, HKT, and HK, each in multiple sizes and have discovered they all have good to great openings.

I unfortunately only got to jump the Gangster 96 once (on a breezy day), but I agree, the opening was absolutely incredible and it dove like hell. Maybe I'll have to head south and arrange a few demos (Gangster & JFX ideally).

Thanks for the input and great comparison to the Kat!

*For the poster above, I've never seen a Zulu or known anyone who's jumped one, so I'm not sure about it. I'll do some digging though.

You're contradicting yourself.

If you want a newer design you're automatically gonna get better performance then from your katana, and it's gonna cost you if you go for a new design.

So, if you want to hold on to your nickels but still upgrade, should probably try JFX or a VC (since you didn't like the VE), at least then you would upgrade to a newer tech, not the latest, but still newer.

My opinion is that the Mamba is a far superior wing then the Katana and they are dirt cheap, takes a bit to get used to openings and flying in set brakes.
Don't bother with the Zulu, it's not what you're after.

I would think it's a little snappier than a Sabre 2 or a Saf. Close to maybe a stiletto, but still more forgiving. I really like it, but it has a pretty quick recovery. I haven't flown a crossfire, but I would think they are about the same level of sporty but the Zulu has a very short recovery arc.

"She's a beauty, and a beast. Crossbraced performance - crossfire-type ease. The perfect low hassle first crossbraced canopy or a fun everyday swoop wing. We love version 1.0...but something new is coming soon....

#JFX2 #onestepahead "

JFX2 is out-ish, just showed up on NZAerosports FB page

ringleader

"She's a beauty, and a beast. Crossbraced performance - crossfire-type ease. The perfect low hassle first crossbraced canopy or a fun everyday swoop wing. We love version 1.0...but something new is coming soon....

#JFX2 #onestepahead "

JFX2 is out-ish, just showed up on NZAerosports FB page

Interesting...you're telling me that the market is about to be flooded with v1.0 JFX's? just like Velos when the VK came out? This news pleases me! Lol

I went from a Katana to a JFX and love it. The biggest difference is the openings. Katana openings I always found to be a bit aggressive. It feels like a throughbred horse on the start line ready to go. The JFX is much more smooth and feels quite docile on opening, but once you release the breaks its very zippy and responsive. I found the JFX takes a bit more skill from the pilot to get the performance out of it, but once you learn how to fly the canopy its a great wing.

Katana is a fantastic canopy, I had 3 Katanas over my jumping career. There's not really any reason to move from it if you are happy with it. But that JFX is amazing, I am very happy I went to it. So worth trying to fly one if you can and see if you like it.