pr3d4t0r

Speed skydiving - helmet + camera + speedometer

Greetings!

Can you please help me figure out the optimal setup for producing videos of my speed skydiving training jumps? I'd like to have a combination of in-helmet video and the speedometer showing progress as in this video (duration 1:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2yZiA8VcgQ

I'm aware that the speed is added in post production. I use FlySight as my data source, may have to cave in and get an inaccurate ProTrack (or two) if the EU competitions still use them next year, and if it's the only data source.

I prefer the camera in-helmet (Bonehead AERO with special springs set up) to eliminate drag. My helmet has two ColorAlti altimeters inside, there's room for a small camera between them.

If mounting the camera on my body is a better idea please let me know.

tl;dr: recommend camera, camera mount, and software please.

Thanks in advance and blue skies!

pr3d4t0r
Eugenio, home: Bay Area Skydiving, CA USA

Adding a camera on your head will not give you any useful info.
I've seen a lot of footage from ankle mounts that let you see most of your body as well as vertical orientation. A chest mount pointing downwards *might* work as well, but a helmetcam will only show you the horizon in relation to your head, not much to be learned here...
As for the ProTracks, don't buy them just yet.
The world championships supposedly were a testbed to decide wether to change the official measuring device to Flysight, so the decision on how to go forward (Flysight or dual Protracks) should not be that far away.

Adding a camera on your head will not give you any useful info.

A camera almost anywhere else will introduce drag. I think of the camera as a POV fun device, not as an aid in training. You make an excellent point, though.

As for the ProTracks, don't buy them just yet.
The world championships supposedly were a testbed to decide wether to change the official measuring device to Flysight, so the decision on how to go forward (Flysight or dual Protracks) should not be that far away.

Excellent, I didn't know that. Did you compete in Australia? I couldn't go due to a prior commitment in Japan, would've loved to join Kyle, Joe, and the rest of the competitors there!

Blue skies and thanks for your comments,

pr3d

A camera on your head will also introduce drag, depending on your body position, and it will change the burble as well.
I never take cameras with me while speedskydiving unless I want them as a training aid, but when I do, I am aware that this will slightly change my speed profile.

Nope, I was not in Australia. I am German, and as you might know, we have some quite good speeders :D
Still a pretty good gap between Moritz, Marco and the rest of us, and since they both are dedicated speeders while I am mainly freeflying, I don't see me being nominated over them any time soon.
But it sure is fun!

A camera on your head will also introduce drag, depending on your body position, and it will change the burble as well.
I never take cameras with me while speedskydiving unless I want them as a training aid, but when I do, I am aware that this will slightly change my speed profile.

Agreed -- I'm thinking of having the camera inside the helmet, something small, that I can sync with the FlySight for the speed read out. More for fun than as a training aid. The FlySight pitch and speed sound (real-time) plus data dump (off-line) and the tunnel are my main training aids.

By the way -- do you know what software it's used for adding the running speed/altitude to the video? I'm a n00b on that. And in reality I may not do it if I can't fit the camera inside the helmet. It's for fun, after all. "This is how you get ground rush at 11k..." kinda thing :)

I am German, and as you might know, we have some quite good speeders :D
Still a pretty good gap between Moritz, Marco and the rest of us, and since they both are dedicated speeders while I am mainly freeflying, I don't see me being nominated over them any time soon.

Yes -- but that gap won't be there for long! ;)

Augusto and I will spend 2 weeks training in Krutitsy, Russia in mid- to late winter, then maybe head to Germany before next year's rounds start. I'll ping you when those dates come, perhaps we can jump and share a beer at some point!

Blue skies, thanks for your replies!

pr3d

Sorry, I don't know which software could do that automated.
My guess so far was either that this was either manually generated with best-guess numbers or tied in to Paralog, which can do a re-run of the jump profile, just not with such nice graphics.

Sure, please drop me a note when you're around, not sure about the jumping during the off-season (most DZs here will still be closed), but we have beer all year round ;)

That was my last info from the ISSA board, given to me by a competitor who is frequently in touch with Arnold Hohenegger and Holger Enderlin.
Let's see. I personally do not believe that ProTrack delivers 100% accurate readings above 450km/h, but as long as the readings are the same for all competitors, that at least gets results that are comparable and which can be used for judging.

ProTrack are notoriously inaccurate, and make it impossible to score after a high speed tumble. FlySight has much higher pilot tolerances. GPS is more accurate than barometric measurements. My understanding is that ProTrack (and ColorAlti, which I use for altitude awareness) use the same Bosch barometric sensor. Good enough for lower speed data capture and accurate enough for altitude awareness.

I used FlySight, ProTrack, and ColorAlti for training. Barometric readings are too variable and inaccurate. Let’s hope we go GPS.

Cheers!

pr3d