ajm297

Rig cost question

Hello,
I am looking at purchasing my first rig, and it has been a pretty difficult journey. Hoping to have found one but it seems like the price is a bit high. Its a 2013 Vector 3 Micron 308, with a Optimum 126 reserve and Vigil 2 AAD. It only has 50 jumps on it all but they are asking 5k and does not come with a main. From what I found, you can get these containers for around 2300 new. Would like your thoughts on a fair price? Or is this a fair price?

Its a 2013 Vector 3 Micron 308, with a Optimum 126 reserve and Vigil 2 AAD.

*Emphasis Mine

Price aside, First rig with an Optimum 126? Do you have a rigger or instructor you are working with to make sure the gear is right for you?
=========Shaun ==========

Full retail on a new Vigil is $1200, an Optimum is $1730. You've already priced the container new at $2300. So, you do the math. Bear in mind that if you are a careful buyer you will not have to pay full retail prices for this stuff.

I have never heard of anyone ever buying a first rig with a reserve or container that small. Even a 100 lb girl. If you are for real and you buy this your journey will probably become even more difficult. Your DZ will probably refuse to allow you to jump it and if they do you will probably get hurt. You will not be able to fit a large enough main into it.

Good luck.

This is my opinion in this matter.

Buy a new custom rig, with the right reserve and main. You should have it for 250-500 jumps depending on your progression.

You need to develop confidence in your gear, and it needs to fit you and your ability. There is no reason to develop gear fear at this stage.

Skydiving is a great sport, but not so forgiving.

50 jumps or no 50 jumps, that's full price (more or less) for a 5 year old rig.
I would pass on that one.

2nd - As was noted, a 126 reserve is quite small for a newer jumper.

There are a few places where you can find recommended wingloading for your skill level. Figure out what that is now.
Base your reserve size on that as a minimum (going a size bigger is not a bad idea).
Then pick your main size. Do not pick it based on where you expect to be in the future (either skill level or weight target).

Pick your container based on those numbers.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo