1 1
skytribe

Wings ReserveBoost Service Bulletin

JerryBaumchen

Hi JJ,

more info would be nice

My guess is that it might have been too easy for it to come loose when around the metal '0' ring. By going thru the Type 4 webbing, it can lock down tighter.

Or it might be something completely different.

Jerry Baumchen

I wonder if someone routed the ripcord through a loose larkshead?:$

My experience is that after 2 deployments with reserve boost the larks head on the line was really worn (maybe 2/3 of line left), my speculation is that with this alternate attachment method the line is better protected during rsl deployment.

A "little" late, but I wanted to provide some insights for everyone, to learn / improve nonetheless.

The mentioned hesitation did not leat to a fatality, I am still alive and came out of it with just some bruises...

After opening I recognized a flip-through malfunction, which was caused by myself due to packing directly on a field after an outside landing the jump before. In hindsight, I could have most likely landed it without issues, but in that moment decided otherwise as the canopy above me was not "good".

As practised, I grabbed both handles with one hand. I pulled my right hand until full arm extension and tried to pull my reserve handle after that but I was unable to pull the handle at all, it did not move even a little.
I turned my head to the left and saw my main still attached by something and my reserve pilot chute being out. My first thought was, that it might be that I did not pull the cutaway cable all the way, so I cleared the cutaway cable from the housing completely.
But I was still hanging from my main by something I could not identify in that moment. I instinctively grabbed that thing from what I was hanging, tried to pull up and just before I wanted to pull on my reserve bridle to get my reserve out, the hangup cleared.
I saw and recognized that I was no longer attached to my main but due to my body orientation and possibly low speed, my reserve could not be extracted.
I turned back to my belly and waited for the reserve to come out, which it thankfully did after a moment. 

Basically my reserve cable and pin was not able to pass the RSL ring to which the extension cord was attached. It looks like the edge of the pin got stuck at the back of the knot of the extension cord and due to the tension locked there. So I was still connected to my main by my reserve cable and RSL. I just grabbed whatever I was hanging from and thankfully the pin cleared the ring possibly due to me grabbing the pin or releasing some tension.

Trying to find the root-cause for this incident myself, I also tried misrouting the reserve-cable through the knot, but this does not happen easily. You have to put way more effort in misrouting it, than in doing it the right way.
In the end, Sunrise Manufacturing issued this service bulletin for it.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Suha said:

A "little" late, but I wanted to provide some insights for everyone, to learn / improve nonetheless.

The mentioned hesitation did not leat to a fatality, I am still alive and came out of it with just some bruises...

After opening I recognized a flip-through malfunction, which was caused by myself due to packing directly on a field after an outside landing the jump before. In hindsight, I could have most likely landed it without issues, but in that moment decided otherwise as the canopy above me was not "good".

As practised, I grabbed both handles with one hand. I pulled my right hand until full arm extension and tried to pull my reserve handle after that but I was unable to pull the handle at all, it did not move even a little.
I turned my head to the left and saw my main still attached by something and my reserve pilot chute being out. My first thought was, that it might be that I did not pull the cutaway cable all the way, so I cleared the cutaway cable from the housing completely.
But I was still hanging from my main by something I could not identify in that moment. I instinctively grabbed that thing from what I was hanging, tried to pull up and just before I wanted to pull on my reserve bridle to get my reserve out, the hangup cleared.
I saw and recognized that I was no longer attached to my main but due to my body orientation and possibly low speed, my reserve could not be extracted.
I turned back to my belly and waited for the reserve to come out, which it thankfully did after a moment. 

Basically my reserve cable and pin was not able to pass the RSL ring to which the extension cord was attached. It looks like the edge of the pin got stuck at the back of the knot of the extension cord and due to the tension locked there. So I was still connected to my main by my reserve cable and RSL. I just grabbed whatever I was hanging from and thankfully the pin cleared the ring possibly due to me grabbing the pin or releasing some tension.

Trying to find the root-cause for this incident myself, I also tried misrouting the reserve-cable through the knot, but this does not happen easily. You have to put way more effort in misrouting it, than in doing it the right way.
In the end, Sunrise Manufacturing issued this service bulletin for it.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Why did you drop your cutaway handle? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Bryguy1224 said:

That could of made the plane crash.

this is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in incidents. you are saying if you drop your cutaway handle it could get wrapped around the plane's propeller and cause it to crash? smh.

<edit>ok so Bryguy1224 was just making a joke. I don't know the poster at all and got sucked in.</edit>

Edited by SethInMI

4 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Which reminds me - 

Anyone done any cat chasing lately? I used to throw my cutaway pillow at them in freefall to distract them so I could grab them without getting scratched.

Sorry...

Everyone knows vets always land on their feet...and survive.....try another joke....that one sucked