skytribe

Airworthy C9 Canopy

slotperfect

If you would like to consider a TSO C-23f upgrade to the 50+ year old C-9 design,

This would be the new Strong 30 ft Lopo. I just installed one today in a mdl 306. Very impressive. It's rated for 300lbs @ 175 kts. I thought it would be a scaled up 26ft Midlite but it's got some interesting features. An extended skirt, and, when flaked out on the packing table it doesn't appear to be a true conical shape. There is camber, as viewed from apex to skirt. I wonder if this improves the inflation speed.?

rmarshall234

***If you would like to consider a TSO C-23f upgrade to the 50+ year old C-9 design,

This would be the new Strong 30 ft Lopo. I just installed one today in a mdl 306. Very impressive. It's rated for 300lbs @ 175 kts. I thought it would be a scaled up 26ft Midlite but it's got some interesting features. An extended skirt, and, when flaked out on the packing table it doesn't appear to be a true conical shape. There is camber, as viewed from apex to skirt. I wonder if this improves the inflation speed.?

It is indeed a conical canopy (in-flight photo attached). The extended skirt, which modulates the opening forces, was also the key in being able to open quickly being both heavy & fast, and light & slow. Check out this video: https://youtu.be/EerdPfcUoIY
Arrive Safely

John

30 Footer.jpg

The 30 Footer fits in all of our containers that were previously built for the C-9. It packs up just slightly bigger. We currently have two back rigs, one chair, and two seat rigs configured for this canopy.

It has been popular with:

-Pilots looking to upgrade from their C-9
-Heavier Pilots
-Pilots flying in high elevation (e.g. mountainous) environments

It is also standard in our rig made specifically for the L-39 Albatros.

And thanks (about the opening). That's Paul from ZHills - he's awesome to work with . . .
Arrive Safely

John

(edited)

Sorry, what is a "half stow diaper"? Is that the type where you only lock it shut with half the line groups and the rest of the lines go in the pack tray?

If so, when I was rigging I always tore my hair out trying to make sure that there was a tiny bit of slack in the line group that locked the diaper, to ensure that it only tensioned at the very last moment to prevent premature diaper release while the lines were playing out of the pack tray. The amount of slack was minimal to the point it probably would have accomplished nothing but I felt better about it.

Was that a useless effort on my part?

Edited by crapflinger2000