tylerhayes68

Flag Jumps

tylerhayes68

What's up everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding Flag Jumps, specifically recommendations on carrying the flag in freefall until it is deployed. Does anyone have any advice on some type of chest mounted container that holds the flag. Thanks everyone!

I use a fanny pack designed for fishing. Works great and has extra pockets for a phone or whatever.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Allen-Eagle-River-Lumbar-Pack/productDetail/Fishing-Packs/prod99999034185/cat116991

Plenty of room for a 6x10 flag.

Do not trust a plastic buckle and do not trust a coil zipper if your suspending with a weight. You can get away with it until you don't. Get with someone who you know has experience building freefall suitable accessory containers. Don't take advice from me or anyone else you don't know over the internet.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

Do not trust a plastic buckle and do not trust a coil zipper if your suspending with a weight. You can get away with it until you don't. Get with someone who you know has experience building freefall suitable accessory containers. Don't take advice from me or anyone else you don't know over the internet.

What are you getting on about? The poster asked about a way to store a flag in freefall. They didn't ask about any options for rigging the flag.

For all those reading it was suggested by Gary Mancuso who is the main dude on the Mile-High Demo team that said to use a fanny pack. When someone starts out they shouldn't be using drop flags anyway. Eventually you will want to move to custom containers and drop flag set ups but starting out a small flag and fanny pack will work well.

Chest mounted demo containers have always been a bad idea. The chest containers cover up your view of your handles.

Councilman is correct. Don't trust plastic snaps or zippers.

If a demo container can't be taken to terminal, it is an inherently bad design. Strapping on a piece of demo gear always has the risk of killing you. If a demo gizmo can't survive terminal velocity, you increase the risk.

councilman24

+1.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

The neatest flag container - that I ever owned - was made by a Master Rigger in New Brunswick. He sized it for a flag 1 or 2 metres long with a packing weight hanging from the bottom of the flag. It was made of Cordura nylon and the lid closed with 2” Velcro.
It had a strap on the back that wrapped around a leg strap or chest strap. I preferred leg strap mounting.

I personally use a leg-mounted flagbag. It holds a flag that attaches to my foot on the bottom end (via an easily released connection), and can hook into my risers on the top end. Added advantage is that there is no weights to deal with.

This bag can be taken to terminal without issues (as long as it is tight enough, so don't understuff it).

Made of parapac, binding tape, webbing, chest strap hardware and a main cutaway cable. Any rigger with some sewing experience and the ability to set grommets can sew it for you.

IMG_3305.JPG