20_kN

HMA vs Vectran?

I am told that HMA is just the material name for a product called Technora. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that Vectran, Dactron and Spectra are just brand names. Vectran is a liquid crystal polymer and Spectra is a type of UHMW polyethylene. Dacron is polyester.

Anyway, does anyone know the differences between Vectran and HMA as it related to skydiving? My understanding is that both lines stay in trim until the lines need replacement (unlike Spectra). So what is the advantage of one over the other? Why would one chose HMA over Vectran or vise verse? I know that Vectran is less prone to spontaneous failure than HMA, but that's the main difference I know about.

20_kN

I am told that HMA is just the material name for a product called Technora. Does anyone know if this is true?

Try using Google. It has lots of answers :-) HMA is High Modulus Aramid. Technora is a brand name of aramid line just like Spectra is a brand name for polyethylene line etc.

20_kN

Anyway, does anyone know the differences between Vectran and HMA as it related to skydiving? My understanding is that both lines stay in trim until the lines need replacement (unlike Spectra). So what is the advantage of one over the other? Why would one chose HMA over Vectran or vise verse?

HMA offers reduced drag due to it being a thinner line than traditional Vectran lines, although some newer designs of Vectran braid are simliar in dimension to comparable HMA lines. Traditionally I would expect Vectran line to outlast HMA although some coated HMA lines are very resilient.

20_kN

I know that Vectran is less prone to spontaneous failure than HMA, but that's the main difference I know about.

It is not that HMA is "prone" to spontaneous failure. It is that once it starts to appear visually worn it's near its end of useful life. Vectran on the other hand can look like crap for a long time before it finally gives up.

***I am told that HMA is just the material name for a product called Technora. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that Vectran, Dactron and Spectra are just brand names. Vectran is a liquid crystal polymer and Spectra is a type of UHMW polyethylene. Dacron is polyester.

Anyway, does anyone know the differences between Vectran and HMA as it related to skydiving? My understanding is that both lines stay in trim until the lines need replacement (unlike Spectra). So what is the advantage of one over the other? Why would one chose HMA over Vectran or vise verse? I know that Vectran is less prone to spontaneous failure than HMA, but that's the main difference I know about.[/quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAoiLl2B6M

Just recently had a conversation with the manufacturers of the lines. So basically all HMA is Technora that is coated.
HMA will stay smooth and look normal till it gives out without warning. Vectran will look like hell and still hold up. But the wear on items like your canopy will not be good.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"