berkoz912

Where To Get Used Gear? First Rig

I searched through the forums and couldn't find anything recent, so I apologize if I missed something and this is a recurring type post - Mods, feel free to delete, if so.
----------

New A license holder (32 jumps) and was looking to get a used rig as I'll likely downsize. In school, I jumped a Nav 280 with a "big boy" reserve. I weigh 235lbs, 6'1'' tall and have a muscular build.

I'm part of a few FB groups that sell used gear and everything posted is nowhere at my skill level nor my body type. They also have fancy shmancy rigs that are typically running at $5k+.

Browsing the forums, I've noticed people getting their first used rigs at about $3k-$4k. Any suggestions on where to go to get a used rig (aiming to buy a 240 canopy)?

Also, any tips for buying / new skydiver downsizing? Things I should avoid? Scams? Upsells, etc.?

I just had money ready and waited until something came up. Something in the size you are looking for isn't going show up often though. You may be better off posting a Want To Buy (WTB) post to get people to look in their closets. Another option is to buy a new container that fits you properly and go with used canopies. This was the route I was getting ready to go before I found something.

Mirage systems has plenty of rigs that might fit you some for about $2000 as long as you purchase your own AAD and canopies you should be fine. Who knows they might even have the colors that you like and from my understanding they say that they’re used Riggs but they’re not really used they might’ve packed them or use them for photo shoot‘s or taken on tour and they call it used. Never jumped.

husslr187

I just had money ready and waited until something came up.

This right here, looking for gear is such a pain especially when you don't have the money. I just saved all summer and finally had enough to buy a used canopy. Once I saw the perfect one pop up after trolling for one over the past month it felt good to be able to negotiate pricing and pull the trigger.

I actually stopped shopping around for the second half of the summer because I hated seeing good deals pass me up because I didn't have the money.

Not exactly the best or most helpful advice, I know.

If you're not on the skydiving used gear page on facebook I highly recommend joining. That's where I've had the most success buying and selling used gear.

Guv

Also talk to major dealers like Square One, Chuting Star and Para-gear because they often sell used gear .... sometimes on commission. Some of them post used gear on their websites - with pictures.
Back when I rigged for Square One, I must have inspected a hundred bits of used gear. I am always honest when inspecting used g at and tougher than some other riggers. For example example, I will tell all involved - including the DZO - if someone tries to a Velocity 66 to a junior jumper. Southern California Rigger are fanatics about gear being fully functional before it leaves the loft.