BlitzPuppet

Main Lift Web Question

I'm 50 jumps in and downgrading from a 230 to a 210 canopy at my DZ with instructor approval. I currently rent from the DZ I jump at, and want to get settled into a canopy size before I buy my own rig next year.

I'm 6'5" so I'm obviously longer, and the 230 had a 17" and 18" MLW rig choice that I could use. I always felt the most comfortable in the 18" (Depending on how it was packed). They apparently only have 16" 210s at my DZ, and I'm more concerned on how this will fit me.

Anything I should look out for when trying on the 16" harness? Is it more possible to hurt myself (or my boys?) on opening or anything like that?

I'm honestly not sure what MLW would actually be best fitting for me as I haven't been measured. But I thought I'd ask here before strapping on the 16 and risk getting myself hurt.

At 6'5 I'm shocked that you can fit into even an 18" MLW. For reference, I'm 6'2" and use a 21" MLW. It dependent on the length of your torso. Some people are all legs and no torso, some are all torso and no legs. I imagine that the 16" is going to feel very tight on you and impede your ability to properly tighten your leg straps.

The best thing I found to prevent the feared ball-under malfunction is to tighten the leg straps as tight as possible on the ground. The tighter they are on the ground, the more comfortable the rig will be in the air.

And if the rig presses down on your shoulders hard as you tighten the leg straps, then the MLW is likely too short. Best way to figure out: try it.

I'm 6'3 (and half to be precise) and I jump a 19". I've jumped a 21" mlw and it was too long, torso length and I think torso thickness play into it.

I can see a leggy 6'5 being the same as my 6'3. I have jumped a 16" MLW, and it was not enjoyable, but it worked. The hip rings / junction will be too high, and the leg pads won't come around far. Make sure the pads do come far enough around, and that you can arch somewhat...that is my only advice.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

See this thread. MLW measurements vary between manufacturers and may depend on other measurements, so the numbers posted in this thread aren't comparable without that information.

"Strapping on the 16 and risk getting hurt" shouldn't be one of your options. Put the rig on and have an instructors evaluate the fit. Alternatively, send the container serial number along with your measurements to the manufacturer and they will tell you whether it will fit or not.

mxk

"Strapping on the 16 and risk getting hurt" shouldn't be one of your options. Put the rig on and have an instructors evaluate the fit. Alternatively, send the container serial number along with your measurements to the manufacturer and they will tell you whether it will fit or not.

I'll try it on the next time I'm at the DZ. Since my only options until the new year are rentals, and this canopy size only being a C16, my options are fairly limited.

I did a rough measurement on myself and I'm maybe a 20 or 21".

....... I did a rough measurement on myself and I'm maybe a 20 or 21".
—————————————————————————————

That was only a rough measurement.
Since few people can measure themselves accurately, harness factories only trust measurements made by Rigger’s or tailors.

Main lift web length is only one variable. Home length and width can also affect MLW fit.
Some shoulder yokes are short (from top of reserve container to 3-Ring), which makes them fit great on slender people (marathon runners), but too tight on people with large shoulders (weight lifters). The better manufacturers (e.g. Sun Path) write home size (A, B, C, etc.) on data panels. .... but you need a riggers’ assistance to decypher the code.

Backpack width also affects MLW fit. Combine BP width with the length of the lateral/horizontal straps and equations get complex.
Finally, leg pads that are too long (built for people with large thighs) can throw from any other harness measurement.

Your next step is getting measured by a rigger - or tailor - and bringing that new number back to the discussion .... combined with a detailed description of the data panel on your rental rig.

Another option is posting pictures of you wearing that harness.