20_kN

Long versions of containers for wingsuiting?

I am getting a new Icon and I noticed that the wingsuit option includes converting the container from the standard shape to the long shape. I am not that serious into wingsuiting yet. I am still a beginner and fly a small suit. I also intend to use the container for other stuff like freeflying and such. Accordingly, since I am getting the extended bridle and open corners, it looks like it is the same cost regardless of what shape container I get. If I buy the long version of the rig, is it going to suck for everything not related to wingsuiting? What would be the best option--standard shape or long shape, for an all-around rig that will be used for some low level wingsuiting?

Not saying there’s anything wrong with icon or anything but you are aware that there is other container manufacturers who offer a wing suit mod on a standard container that will allow you to sit fly and so on. The shape of the container will depend on your body and canopy sizes, and since you’ll probably be getting another Rig after this you might want to consider getting a fully articulated harness versus a standard harness for resell or if you lose weight or gain weight it is easier to resize.

I have an Icon V in their I5 size which doesn't allow the tall option. I do have the wingsuit corners, semi stowless and I ended up getting a skysnatch from squirrel. The skysnatch isn't required but if you get the wingsuit corners they give you the long bridle and wider pilot chute as part of the rig.

If you get an Icon V its Freefly ready even with the wingsuit options. The long option isn't that much bigger and you will be fine freeflying it. I think the hard part about mixing freefly and wingsuiting seriously is keeping a docile parachute for wingsuiting while wanting a more aggressive fun canopy for other jumps.

I don't know much about the Icon range but as you're a beginner I'd say get what is best for all-round jumps. It will be fine for wingsuiting. But more importantly ask the manufacturer what they think.

Personally I feel like discipline-specific gear is more for later on down the track when you are already doing said discipline and know 100% that you're sticking with it.

How tall are you?

At 6ft I found when trying on rigs that the long versions of a vector or Icon in a small size made for an easier pull, even without a wingsuit

For someone on the shorter side not that into wing suiting a regular/wider container makes sense.