Pat007

VOG audible altimeter

CrashProne

I can only help.
1. VOG does not require extra movements from a Skydiver.
2. VOG does not require the attention of a Skydiver. All information in free fall is sound clear and understandable.

What do these mean?

I’ll take a shot.

1. You don’t have to do anything. It turns itself on and off, and you don’t need multiple profiles for different types of jumps.

2. It just speaks into your ear at preselected altitude intervals. Simplest means of full time altitude awareness I’ve come across!

So how does one get the proper alarms for tandem, wingsuit, free fly, or belly alarms? Or different canopy alarms?

LeeroyJenkins

I can only help.
1. VOG does not require extra movements from a Skydiver.
2. VOG does not require the attention of a Skydiver. All information in free fall is sound clear and understandable.

What do these mean?

I’ll take a shot.

1. You don’t have to do anything. It turns itself on and off, and you don’t need multiple profiles for different types of jumps.

2. It just speaks into your ear at preselected altitude intervals. Simplest means of full time altitude awareness I’ve come across!

So how does one get the proper alarms for tandem, wingsuit, free fly, or belly alarms? Or different canopy alarms?

Easy, I just have mine set (by iPhone app) to tell me every 1,000’ from the door to 5k, then every 500 till pull, plus every 100 from 1,200 on down. I know that sounds like a lot, but in reality I don’t even notice it, I just ALWAYS know my current altitude. I don’t change anything no matter what the jump. When they first showed up at our DZ, everyone assumed all that talking in your ear would get annoying, but that’s absolutely not been my experience.
  • Like 1

LeeroyJenkins

You have the option of turning on or off any of the altitude settings with your phone app. It announces the altitude every 1,000 feet (or use metric setting) from 21K down to 6K when it switches to every 500 feet, and then at 1,500 feet it switches to every 100 feet. Last announcement is 200 feet. If you don't like all those announcements you can change them with the app. The announcement is in the language you set with the app. There aren't any alarms at set altitudes like other audibles. You just have to remember what the important altitudes are for you. It doesn't store different programs for different types of jumps, but maybe that's something they could program in the next software update.
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

Pat007

You have the option of turning on or off any of the altitude settings with your phone app. It announces the altitude every 1,000 feet (or use metric setting) from 21K down to 6K when it switches to every 500 feet, and then at 1,500 feet it switches to every 100 feet. Last announcement is 200 feet. If you don't like all those announcements you can change them with the app. The announcement is in the language you set with the app. There aren't any alarms at set altitudes like other audibles. You just have to remember what the important altitudes are for you. It doesn't store different programs for different types of jumps, but maybe that's something they could program in the next software update.

Does it literally announce it? As in say verbally what altitude you are at? If so that is cool.

Not really worth 400 IMO but I already own fancy gadgets.

LeeroyJenkins

Does it literally announce it? As in say verbally what altitude you are at? If so that is cool.

Not really worth 400 IMO but I already own fancy gadgets.

Yes, it speaks to you! You can hear a sample on their website: https://vog.ee/
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

I jumped it the last couple of days. At first I was sceptical if I would actually hear or understand what it is telling me, but it is super clear. I still had an audible in my helmet, but with Vog telling me altitudes every 100 ft I didn't really need it.
http://www.prostipad.si

Just got one.

Pairing with my iPhone was absolutely flawless. The app is so important when products features "connecting with phone" to the point that I check app reviews to gauge the product. And when you look at the Android app store, the app has a very high rating. The app is simple but it JUST WORKS! It connects so quickly!

First impressions are really, really good. Build quality is excellent - feels like the Airpods case (but slimmer).

No instructions included, unlike L&B's instruction sheet nightmare. But, I didn't need instructions! Super simple - plug in to charge, download app and get going. There's no buttons on the device.

I would like to see some things:

a) Simulated mode to test
 b) Small instruction sheet, highlighting where to get the app, wireless charging, etc. Or at very least help page in the app.
 c) Micro USB cable included, with charger.
 d) Online USA store to order from
 e) More fun stuff in the box - pull up cord?? Also the box needs a redesign. The audible is not secured in the box. It fell out because I opened the box wrong side up.

I'm really excited to see more features, like logging other than just a jump counter and more extensive settings/options/features (loud warning tone or "Pull, Pull Pull!" if you're travelling above a certain speed below a certain altitude?)

I will post an update after jumping tomorrow...

• Like 1

Got this a couple of months ago, but just got to jump it last weekend. I had to do some AFF recurrency evaluation  jumps for some instructors. I had been using an old single tone Ditter and an Optima with different profiles for AFF student, AFF eval and regular jumps. I sold my Optima after five jumps with the VOG.

Having altitude count down was not annoying. Not having to check my wrist mount for altitudes was great. The voice used IS annoying to listen to on the ground, but just right in free fall. Easy to hear, very clear. Much more precise than tones.

The app is straightforward, it charges pretty quick, changing the settings would be easy, but why would you need to keep changing it?

I kept my old ditter for a “stupid low save my life” alert.

i would recommend this to every jumper.

• Like 1

The talking isn’t new.  My Neptune 3 audible I was jumping with until 2012 speaks the altitude every 1000ft and also allows you to play music at the same time in addition to jump logging.  However, the smart phone connectivity and auto on/off sounds like a great refinement!

I tried the VOG audible and couldn't hear any of the free fall alarms even with the volume all the way up on tracking/ angle jumps. Kiss helmets hold the audible further away from the ear compared to other helmets with an audible pocket. The guy from VOG explained that this was why I couldn't hear the alarms. Although my hearing isn't great, I can hear my Quattro and Atlas audibles fine with my setup.