BeerRunner98

Alternative to downsizing

Hello all, I was wondering, if instead of downsizing AND switching to a more aggressive canopy, would it be a more prudent choice to simply stay at the same wing loading and go to a more aggressive canopy? Say switching from a Saber II 170 to a Katana (just a general example and this is one of the more aggressive canopies I could think of off the top of my head.) 170? New jumper taking his first canopy course soon at 46 jumps, not looking to switch my canopy soon but just asking people's opinions, thanks, guys!

Maddingo

Get ready for the shitstorm my man. But no, you should not think about a Katana with 46 jumps.

I wasn't, I was just wondering if this was something people did. I am very happy with my Saber II 170. I will continue to jump it until I get bored with it. Which I don't see happening for the foreseeable future. The progression is part of the fun! I was just wondering if people did this so they didn't get the dangers of a higher performance canopy and a smaller wing loading.

>Say switching from a Saber II 170 to a Katana 170?

That would be a bad idea.

However, there are canopies that "fly small" that work well for what you want - that fly like they were smaller canopies without giving up too much forgiveness. For example, the Silhouette.

There are many factors to take in, but one of the important ones is that some designs are not made for low wingload in mind.

One of them is the Katana, so if you fly a Sabre 2 under 1.3 there is absolutely no sense in going to a 170 Katana directly. You would gain much more and be safer going to a 150 Sabre 2 for example... but afcourse at certain point it makes more sense to switch the canopy profile more than going smaller.

The general idea is to never go down and switch profiles at the same time but do it one by one.

Your general supposition is correct.

Downsizing is one thing.

Changing planforms (from 'square' to 'elliptical') is another

They should be done as separate steps, not simultaneously.

You might want to read Brian Germain's Downsizing chart, it's a sticky in the Canopy Control & Swooping forum. It has size/experience recommendations, but it also has a good bit of info on skills needed before downsizing.

BillVon's Downsizing checklist article in the "Safety" section is also a good read.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Your general supposition is correct.

Downsizing is one thing.

Changing planforms (from 'square' to 'elliptical') is another

They should be done as separate steps, not simultaneously.

You might want to read Brian Germain's Downsizing chart, it's a sticky in the Canopy Control & Swooping forum. It has size/experience recommendations, but it also has a good bit of info on skills needed before downsizing.

BillVon's Downsizing checklist article in the "Safety" section is also a good read.

Good to see that I am in the safe portion of the range on the downsizing chart! Thanks for the recommended reading! I would rather be safe than cool!

BeerRunner98

Good to see that I am in the safe portion of the range on the downsizing chart! Thanks for the recommended reading! I would rather be safe than cool!

Don't worry, typically that lasts for about another 100-ish jumps. ;)

You're on the right track. But instead of looking at it as an alternative to downsizing, you can think of it as an additional risk to avoid while downsizing.

Downsizing and changing platform should be done separately, and some people don't ever change planform. Ellipticals can be a pain in the arse and require more care and feeding (and frankly, risk) than people can be bothered with - the juice is not worth the squeeze.

But having decided to change planform (I get that your Katana is merely an example, could be a Zulu or a Crossfire or whatever, and you're not thinking about doing it now anyway), you should definitely do it in a size you are already well experienced with.

If in the future you do decide you want something more aggressive than what you have now, it should almost certainly be a slightly smaller version of the class of thing you have now ;)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

yoink

Don't worry, typically that lasts for about another 100-ish jumps. ;)

Wait you're telling me swoopers get laid? Looks like I am buying a Peregrine 67. ;) (In all reality I have fun on front riser dives at like 3000 ft with my Saber II! I am taking a canopy course with it and I couldn't be more excited!)