cetti

Watch your back while leaving the plane

https://youtu.be/RaC-a72kmCQ

Since i've turned out along the wall in the plane the flap opened unintentially. Short after exit the wind hit the bridle and the pot went out.... and then the mess started with ending in a cutaway. since we left the plane at 4000m i had plenty of time to deal with it. but i could have avoided that one easily with turning through the open door and not along the wall...

voilsb

This method of packing a pilot chute also helps by significantly reduces the chances of a horseshoe malfunction, reducing your problem to a high pull. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCeYlY_6io

While that pilot chute packing method works well on most rigs it should IMHO never be used on rigs that use a cordura BOC. It can lock up on the inner fold on that type of BOC causing a hard or potentially a non pullable condition. I found that on my first rig and was lucky that I found out at home while practicing and not in the air.
I actually had a short conversation with Brian about this’s few years back and at that time he agreed.

Later while jumping in Florida I had an opportunity to meet a salesman from Sunrise and talked with him about this and even packed this into his personal rig that had a Cordura BOC. On the first try we completely lifted his rig sideways just holding the hackey, but it pulled right out on the second attempt. He said he was going to talk with the folks at the factory about it but I never heard anything else about it.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

BKS60

***This method of packing a pilot chute also helps by significantly reduces the chances of a horseshoe malfunction, reducing your problem to a high pull. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCeYlY_6io

While that pilot chute packing method works well on most rigs it should IMHO never be used on rigs that use a cordura BOC. It can lock up on the inner fold on that type of BOC causing a hard or potentially a non pullable condition. I found that on my first rig and was lucky that I found out at home while practicing and not in the air.
I actually had a short conversation with Brian about this’s few years back and at that time he agreed.

Later while jumping in Florida I had an opportunity to meet a salesman from Sunrise and talked with him about this and even packed this into his personal rig that had a Cordura BOC. On the first try we completely lifted his rig sideways just holding the hackey, but it pulled right out on the second attempt. He said he was going to talk with the folks at the factory about it but I never heard anything else about it.

Could you elaborate on how this packing method could cause problems with a cordura BOC? Besides the initial fold of the pilot chute (where you are ensuring that it is cocked), the only difference I see is that with the linked method the bridle comes out the front of the "burrito" (next to the hackey) as opposed to coming out the other end.

Basically the roll grabs the inner fold on the BOC stopping the pilot chute from extracting. Hard to give a mental image but it does/can cause issues. When I was jumping that style rig I started packing a longer thinner method and had no issues. Another jumper had this happen on a wingsuit jump and while he did get it out he was dirty low by the time he did.
I have a few customers that have this style BOC. I’ll try to remember to make a short vid of it the next time one comes in for a repack.

BKS60

Basically the roll grabs the inner fold on the BOC stopping the pilot chute from extracting. Hard to give a mental image but it does/can cause issues. When I was jumping that style rig I started packing a longer thinner method and had no issues. Another jumper had this happen on a wingsuit jump and while he did get it out he was dirty low by the time he did.
I have a few customers that have this style BOC. I’ll try to remember to make a short vid of it the next time one comes in for a repack.

Cool deal. Thanks for the info. I just got a Wings container with a cordura BOC that I will be jumping for the pre-second time tomorrow. Since I use Brian Germain's pilot chute packing method, I know now to look for possible ways that I might get in trouble with this combination. Definitely glad I ran across this thread!

BKS60

Basically the roll grabs the inner fold on the BOC stopping the pilot chute from extracting.

This happened to a friend of mine not once but twice with his cordura BOC, resulting in reserve rides both times. The pilot chute material wadded up at the mouth and stopped it from extracting (and he's a strong dude).

He liked the cordura and was aware of how to pack it but it turns out not all packers are... in the end he just replaced it with a Spandex pouch I think.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Doesn’t a spandex pouch have a seam in the mouth too? I’m just not seeing how that small seam would prevent PC extraction using Brian’s technique and how a different folding technique would matter. The only difference between the way you fold it is where the bridle exits. So specifically is getting hung up on the cudora seam? A video would help a ton.

Many of the cordura pouches have an inner fold about 3/4” back from back from the mouth of the pouch. This allows for an elastic band at the mouth that reduces the mouth area and a larger main pouch area.

BKS60

by longer thinner do you mean you just skip folding the pilot chute in half? I would also love your video because I'm having a hard time visualizing it.
Brian