grimmie

Drop Zone Emergency Preparedness

I have been the first person to get to an injured jumper many times. I have been trained in first aid at many jobs, and also attended the seminar Rich put on at Elsinore. Gear is never worth someones safety!!! On one occasion I responded to a jumper(in her mid 60's) that had a rough landing. She was talking and laying flat, face down. I knew her personally and she asked me to try to remove her rig as it was brand new/custom. I said I will try but your health is more important. I was able to reach underneath her and push the leg strap webbing back through the friction bars on both leg straps and the chest strap WITH OUT moving her or placing her in more danger. We picked the rig straight up with no trouble. While she was recovering from bumps and bruises she sent me a thank you card(her husband ,also a jumper delivered it) thanking me for taking care of her, and getting her rig off so it did not get cut off.

Other scenarios, it was not possible or safe to remove the rig. Cutting it off was the only option.

The knowledge and experience Rich has is far from, as you put it "home brew opinions". You obviously are not aware of his former line of work. When EMT's show up and we explain what happened they usually have a lot of questions and need more info to understand MOI. The EMT's that usually show up at Elsinore we are familiar with and vice versa, and they attended and helped with the seminar that Rich put on at Elsinore.

ChrisD2.0

***A rig has three points to be undone. Two leg straps and a chest strap. You can undo them and wait for a backboard.

When I host the training sessions, it is for the professionals. Not folks at the DZ. I show them a mechanism of injury video, the gear and how to get it off without cutting. Also helmet types and removal techniques to hold c-spine. We also suit a jumper up in a wingsuit so they can see what that adds to the issue.

We put a person in a rig and cover ways to backboard and c spine in various positions.

I have developed these techniques after treating far too many injuries at various drop zones over the years.

Signed,Former DZO, Exotic boogie organizer and 31 year firefighter/EMT

Sorry man, but I have a big issue with your home brew opinions and training ideas.

So will any family, First Responder, or any individual responsible for another's treatment that isn't in the book. You want to "train" others to follow your point of view? AGAIN, your all alone on this one. You have neither the experience or training to create your own treatment protocols, nor do you have any authority to do so. But yet you persist in framing your opinion as some kind of sanctioned activity in a vain attempt at creating some kind of plausible conduct that does nothing to help the injured person. Again, your eloquent attempt to shift the care of the injured to protect gear is insane. You have your priorities messed up. Spend the same amount of time elsewhere, because believe me, I have seen the result of this kind of insanity many times,.... you will end up in court, alone. Attempting to explain why the damage you caused to a defenseless individual was so important. And when you start to explain you felt that saving the Gear was more important,.....Good luck with that.

Again, prioritizing gear instead of caring for a casualty sends an insane message. Your priorities are screwed up man!

Why do so many of you persist in saving gear, the can be easily repaired, is just a heap of nylon, Why do you continue to place such a high value on equipment, that isn't even yours, as compared to the pain and suffering, potential irreparable damage to someone else's health, and a delay of care? All to protect gear??? The logic is inane.

ESPECIALLY when this same amount of effort could be spent on actually doing something good?

And your comments about First Responders, and Medics don't know anything about skydiving is just irresponsible and irrelevant. Knowing how to care for an injured person has nothing to do with the activities of skydiving other than the MOI. Like I said, my scissors cut nylon like going thru butter. And if in my opinion a harness is in the way of actually caring for a fellow skydiver that harness is history and you will end up arrested if you interfere. You have NO RIGHT to interfere with another's care to save a nylon strap.

Folks, ChrisD2.0 is clearly the same ChrisD who appeared for a while about 5 years ago, with a phony profile of inflated jump numbers, and posted as if he was a seasoned instructor, with a cock-sure attitude quite often contradicting actual seasoned instructors on all sorts of issues, particularly training and safety.

So much so that it prompted several to find out who he actually was, and expose the fact that he was a phony masquerading as an knowledgeable and experienced expert. He then posted a sad mea culpa, and then disappeared. But clearly he is back, doing the exact same thing. He is as much an expert in all that he claims now as he was back then.

The end of ChrisD (1.0):
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4581656

He also seems to be an experienced plumber, with expertise on codes. And an EMT/first responder of considerable advanced training and knowledge. Clearly a man for all seasons.

Or at the very least an expert at researching a broad number of topics.