oldwomanc6

OK. Game on!

In California, it is no longer legal to trap and "road trip" tree squirrels and such (those considered fur bearing game mammals). You can kill them, if they are causing property damage, but not relocate them. You probably have to have a license. You can no longer drown them after capture, or crush their lungs after capture. My neighbor has a fox problem -- the foxes have dug extensive ground works, chase her cats, and have nearly toppled her (she's 93 or 94, with a walker) a couple of times. They get on my roof in the middle of the night and run back and forth. They can be trapped and "euthanized," but nobody really wants to do that -- just want them to go away.

The relocation restriction stems from the concern about spreading animal diseases to new areas.

Ground squirrels, on the other hand, can be offed with impunity. They do a lot of tunneling, some destructive, around here. Poison is frowned upon, as predators (hawks, foxes) are killed by eating the dead squirrels/rats/mice. This goes for in-house mice/rats also, as they often go outside to die.

Ground squirrels, on the other hand, can be offed with impunity. They do a lot of tunneling, some destructive, around here. Poison is frowned upon, as predators (hawks, foxes) are killed by eating the dead squirrels/rats/mice. This goes for in-house mice/rats also, as they often go outside to die.

So, poison would potential solve both the rodent and the fox problems?

We have a lot more raptors than foxes.

A few years ago, another neighbor showed me her phone video of a fox writhing in agony in her driveway -- almost certainly a poisoning, most likely from eating a poisoned rodent, maybe from direct bait ingestion.

Can't really shoot them here, in the city limits of San Jose.

If the neighbor's fox problems were mine, I would keep closing off their tunnels and maybe they would move on. They do usually go off in the fall, and return to bear offspring in the spring.

headoverheels

In California, it is no longer legal to trap and "road trip" tree squirrels and such (those considered fur bearing game mammals). You can kill them, if they are causing property damage, but not relocate them. You probably have to have a license. You can no longer drown them after capture, or crush their lungs after capture. My neighbor has a fox problem -- the foxes have dug extensive ground works, chase her cats, and have nearly toppled her (she's 93 or 94, with a walker) a couple of times. They get on my roof in the middle of the night and run back and forth. They can be trapped and "euthanized," but nobody really wants to do that -- just want them to go away.

The relocation restriction stems from the concern about spreading animal diseases to new areas.

My dad has had issues with squirrels getting into and fucking his shit up for years. He keeps a scoped pellet rifle handy. I took one down with a head shot this past summer. There is a law against hunting them for sport without a license, but when they are a destructive nuisance, it's game on bitch.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban