oldwomanc6

OK. Game on!

Mouse.

Four days ago, a little rodent decided to make itself known.

It's the first one in seventeen years. There were a few,( initially, due to construction,of the house), but I deaded them (yes, that's what I did--it's a technical term) but none since.

But the darn thing is elusive . My cats are super vigilant (not really sure why but ...). Not sure how it got in or what it's going to eat, but it should be fun ....

Just stay away from my cars......
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I have a cunning plan...…...so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel. (apols to Blackadder)

Easy to catch. (If you don't like traps that squish the mouse, or using poison baits)

Set up a trap using a cup/mug and a coin.

Smear some peanut butter in the bottom of the cup, then balance the cup on the edge of the coin in a cupboard or somewhere where you know he frequents. Mouse goes to get at the peanut butter, touches the inside of the cup and it will fall, trapping him under it. Now you have a live mouse under the cup. Slide something flat under it, and pick it up, then you can do what you like with it.....

Release into the wild, or your nosey neighbours house, or kill it by drowning in a bucket of water. Don't release it in front of the cat.....my cat will just watch as the mouse leaves the scene at speed.

I caught four of the buggers within half an hour one time like that, and I've caught quite a few since. My girlfriend won't let me kill them, so I have to take them on a journey to a galaxy far far away and release them.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I saw a mouse in my kitchen just recently - first time in many years, but several times during the course of the day, which made me think he must have taken up residency.

I'm a sucker for small critters and I hate to kill them, but at the same time I can't have them running around the house, so I set up two traps side-by-side and left it up to fate which of them would catch the mouse.

The first was a homemade humane trap comprising a wooden ramp up to the lip of a large glass vase and a smear of bait on the end of some flimsy card attached to the end of the ramp.

The second was a good old-fashioned lethal shop-bought trap.

At least two weeks on, and I've managed to smash the vase within the first couple of days by knocking it over while walking about. Meanwhile, I've never seen the mouse again.

So I'm down a vase, plus the cost of the trap and the bait. :|

I like your cup-and-coin design better than mine. If that vase-ruining, money-wasting little bastard ever shows his face again, I might give it a try.

With regard to your cars, I spent the night at a cousin's who lives out in the middle of the high desert in Arizona, and he showed me how they prevent rodents from nesting in the engine compartments of their cars.

When they park their cars, they leave the hoods up. This makes the engine compartment seem less like shelter. I have also heard of some people that will also hang lights over their engines.

Don't know if it really works, but it makes sense.

my cat and mouse story from about 3 months ago:

Sitting in living room with wife reading. Wife hears a mouse (1st one in 7 years) under her couch. Freaks out a little bit, mouse runs under hutch. I grab a broom handle and work the mouse to the end of the hutch, it pops out and runs back across the living room. Cat sees it, pandemonium ensues. Within 5 sec or so mouse is half dead; I shoo the cat away.

I should have just drowned the mouse, but instead I tossed it into the woods. Who knows, maybe it made it. But it was nice to know that the cat is capable of helping to earn its keep.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Haven't had a mouse or rat in my house in 17 years. But during our first year we had one trapped in a hole in the wall and both of our cats were positioned outside the hole. So my wife opened the hole a bit more and coaxed the mouse into a plastic tub and took it outside.

Didn't have another one until a couple of years ago when I left a bag of grass seed open in the garage, and 5 or 6 large gopher rats got into it eating everything they could. I was about to go seed the yard and picked the bag up and the motherfuckers scrambled out, and I was like WHAT THE FUCK.

So yeah, next time I used a plastic cooler to keep the next bag of grass seed in. No problem since.

Sticky paper works too. My boss kept them in the old office, which did have mice getting into. I came in one morning and out of the corner of my eye I saw a mouse stuck on the sticky paper next to my desk. Told him about it, he said hit it with something. So I found a 3-4 lb piece of machined metal and WHACK, little fucker looked at me like WTF dude? And faded away.

Now if you don't want to kill them, put them outside a good distance from the house. Snakes eat them. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

NewGuy2005

With regard to your cars, I spent the night at a cousin's who lives out in the middle of the high desert in Arizona, and he showed me how they prevent rodents from nesting in the engine compartments of their cars.

When they park their cars, they leave the hoods up. This makes the engine compartment seem less like shelter. I have also heard of some people that will also hang lights over their engines.

In some parts, if you do that, you'll wake up to find your engine has gone.....

obelixtim

***With regard to your cars, I spent the night at a cousin's who lives out in the middle of the high desert in Arizona, and he showed me how they prevent rodents from nesting in the engine compartments of their cars.

In some parts, if you do that, you'll wake up to find your engine has gone.....

When you get in your vehicle, just pop the hood and blow the horn a good bit. See what scatters.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ground jalapenos or habinaros. Sprinkle along the wall, behind frig, etc, outside is even better if you can figure where they come in (notice the-they, there's no such thing as one mouse). They will walk in it, lick their paws and not return. You can check this, as I got the idea from a story about a zoo that did it to keep mice/rats out of their bird exhibit.
I put it in my motorhome every year=no mice.
And if you live where there are snakes , cut the grass short near the house, of the snakes will follow the mice in the house, then die in a wall, which stinks to high heaven.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

ryoder

Check out this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos

The guy has tested about 10x more kinds of traps than you ever imagine existed.

I'm curious about the non-lethal mousetraps. So it works and I now have an angry/scared mouse in a box - what am I going to do with that?

I also live in London, so where is this wilderness that I am to release it, so that it lives out its days with its mouse friends?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I'm curious about the non-lethal mousetraps. So it works and I now have an angry/scared mouse in a box - what am I going to do with that?

After finding at the DZ that nylon webbing becomes excellent nesting material when chewed by a mother mouse my policy is a death sentence to any that I can catch indoors. They are vermin. No mercy in my heart to them at all. None.

I use traps and bait stations and watch carefully for signs of them. If I see that bait has been taken I double up on my counter measures.

RMK

I also live in London, so where is this wilderness that I am to release it, so that it lives out its days with its mouse friends?

Release it on the Tube, and let it choose its own station to get off?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

RMK

Are there no parks?
Are there no back alleys behind restaurants?
;)
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Are there no parks?

Behind restaurants you really don't like, perhaps?

I've pondered making a ratapult for the area outside near the car. A long tube with a one way flapper door that lets them get in (with some peanut butter or something as bait) then a compressed air tank to launch them a few hundred feet into the canyon. What stopped me was the valve; you need a very large diameter valve that opens very fast under remote control.

Of course the neighbors might start to wonder.

billvon

Are there no parks?

Behind restaurants you really don't like, perhaps?

I've pondered making a ratapult for the area outside near the car. A long tube with a one way flapper door that lets them get in (with some peanut butter or something as bait) then a compressed air tank to launch them a few hundred feet into the canyon. What stopped me was the valve; you need a very large diameter valve that opens very fast under remote control.

Of course the neighbors might start to wonder.

You could use a modified potato cannon. But it might be considered "cruel and unusual punishment".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RMK

***Check out this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos

The guy has tested about 10x more kinds of traps than you ever imagine existed.

Sell it on eBay?

London is a bit of a jungle anyway, you must be able to find a spot within a couple of blocks. Plenty of places I could think of within a few blocks of where I lived in NW London, or N London.

>You could use a modified potato cannon. But it might be considered "cruel and unusual punishment".

Well, I guess I could just kill them. But this way they get a little freefall time and at least a fighting chance (that part of the canyon is all bushes.)

a couple years ago I remarked to my neighbor how I didn't see any squirrels around anymore. He smiled and said he'd been live trapping them and then releasing them when he got to work 30 miles away.

he moved last year and now the squirrels are back.