AtrusBatleth

Album recommendations

I make a 5-6 hour drive on a regular basis and like to listen to music. Until recently I typically listen to random songs on shuffle on internet radio, but lately I have been enjoying listening to entire albums. I'm looking for recommendations. Ideally something that is intended to be listened as a complete album, not just a collection of independent songs. Something with recurring themes or continuing story (which seems to be a dying art form). For example, I recently finished a couple Pink Floyd albums and am working through several Rush. What are some of your favorites that form a cohesive album experience? Not looking for rap or country, or something loaded with profanity (I'm driving with my family), but pretty much anything else is game.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

Thanks folks, I'll try these out. I didn't even know the terminology to use, but now I do: concept album. This should keep me busy for several more trips, but if others want to contribute their favorites, the more the merrier.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

I know you said you like music but you might think about books on disc.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Anything by Pink Floyd.
Anything by Alan Parsons (he produced Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon)
Later Beatles.
"middle" Styx Pieces of Eight, Grand Illusion, Paradise Theater.
Prince, although his lyrics are not super 'kid appropriate'.
Any Rush

Lots more, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Dream Theater has 3 concept albums-

Metropolis 2- Scenes from a Memory
Six degrees of inner turbulence ( disc 2 )
The Astonishing

Also if you're a Tool fan look into the "holy gift" song order for the Lateralus album. It's a unique way to listen to it.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Vince Benedetti Meets Diana Krall - Heartdrops
Pink Floyd - Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here
Willie Nelson - Red-headed Stranger, Live 1978
Eric Clapton - 24 Nights
Ray Charles - The Genius After Hours
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Live at the Roxy, Babylon By Bus
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live Alive
Norah Jones - Live at Heineken Hall, Amsterdam
Wynton Marsalis (w/ Eric Clapton, w/ Willie Nelson) - Play the Blues (w/ EC), Here We Go Again, Two Men with the Blues (w/ WN)
BB King - Live … at the Regal, … in Cook County Jail, … at The Apollo
Grateful Dead - 1972-05-26, Lyceum Theatre, London; 1977-05-08 Barton Hall, Cornell Univ.

For me, 5-6 hours sounds like just enough time to listen to a couple Dead shows. I listed two great shows from prime eras, the 1972 show being the last show with Pigpen on vocals, and Cornell, considered by many Deadheads to be the grail show. I have 175+ shows in my library (mostly 1966-1980), so I'll play a random show from whatever era I want to hear; they varied a lot across the years, and even one night to the next on many tours.

I did include a bit of country, Willie, because he and his band are phenomenally talented, and the Grateful Dead, because they play a lot more than just country. Neither is Nashville-style country. Willie defined Outlaw Country, while Jerry Garcia could be described as California country. The former is what you get when a country-boy embraces hippy, while the latter was a hippy who embraced country and bluegrass. Two of the best guitar pickers ever.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

slotperfect

Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination

^ This

Jeff Wayne - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds
Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun (I haven't been able to find the original version)
Alcohol never really solved any problems. But then again, neither did milk.

You will have to playlist these, but:

Rush "Fear" set:

-Part I: The Enemy Within (from Grace Under Pressure)
-Part II: The Weapon (from Signals)
-Part III: Witch Hunt (from Moving Pictures)
-Part IV: Freeze (from Vapor Trails)

If you happen to use Google Play Music, PM me and I can share the playlist.

King Crimson Larks' Tongues in Aspic set:

-Part One (from Lark's Tongues in Aspic
-Part Two (from the same album)
-Part Three (from Three of a Perfect Pair)
-Part Four, all three versions or the 13 minute digital melting pot (from The Construction of Light)
-Coda: I Have A Dream (from the same album)
-Level Five (from The Power to Believe)

I haven't playlist these myself yet cause they are a little harder to find . . .
Arrive Safely

John

Some profanity, of course, but don't forget about Green Day:

- "American Idiot", almost a rock opera (and it was produced as a musical)
- "21st Century Breakdown", also a good collection of songs that semi-cohere.

Good to see this list, I'm going to download some of these tonight.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Its electronic music but Daft Punk - Discovery is great. They did an entire hour long animated cartoon set to the music for its music video that you can find online.

I'll second Green Day's American Idiot as one of the most recent rock opera releases that was actually good

Its 90' and you have to like some of the neo-soul tones like reggae and rap but The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is a great concept album.

Beach Boys Pet Sounds is a great example of Concept album if there is one.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

AtrusBatleth

I make a 5-6 hour drive on a regular basis and like to listen to music. Until recently I typically listen to random songs on shuffle on internet radio, but lately I have been enjoying listening to entire albums. I'm looking for recommendations. Ideally something that is intended to be listened as a complete album, not just a collection of independent songs. Something with recurring themes or continuing story (which seems to be a dying art form). For example, I recently finished a couple Pink Floyd albums and am working through several Rush. What are some of your favorites that form a cohesive album experience? Not looking for rap or country, or something loaded with profanity (I'm driving with my family), but pretty much anything else is game.

Ocean, by Eloy (link to YouTube). Underrated German band and mid-70's contemporary of Rush and Floyd. Something different from the usual, but still a highly polished concept album - considered Eloy's best work. See Wikipedia article.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

ControlFreak

***Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination

^ This

Jeff Wayne - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds
Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun (I haven't been able to find the original version)

^ What he said. Almost anything by Alan Parsons. I still listen to Pyramid nearly 40 years on.
mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."