chuckakers

Larry Bagley

RIP, Larry.

The following is from Ed Scott, Executive Director the U.S. Parachute Association

"Larry K. Bagley, D-4522, passed away on Tuesday March 27, 2018 after a brief illness. Larry served on USPA’s board of directors from 1975-1995, and as USPA President from 1981-1989. He also served a number of positions on the USPA staff from 1995 until his retirement in 2011. In 2003 Larry was honored with the FAI Paul Tissandier Diploma. In 2013 he was honored by USPA with the Lifetime Achievement Award. And in 2016 he was inducted into the International Skydiving Museum’s Hall of Fame. A recap of his many contributions to skydiving and USPA will appear in the next issue of Parachutist."
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Very sad to hear this.

Larry was an amazing individual. When I was a young jumper, he was one of the big names in the sport, but always had time to sit and talk with us youngsters and make us feel welcome. Over the years, we didn't always agree on things and had some heated discussions, but he was always willing to sit down and talk calmly later and see other views. His mind didn't always change, but he at least took the time to listen.

Mostly, Larry was a warm, engaging man who loved the sport and the people in it.

Blue skies, Larry. Thanks for being such a great friend to many of us.

Jump more, post less!

I sure am going to miss Larry. I was just thinking of calling him a week ago, just to chat. He knew so much, including so much history and information about USPA. What an incredible resource he was to the sport of skydiving.

chuckakers

RIP, Larry.

The following is from Ed Scott, Executive Director the U.S. Parachute Association

"Larry K. Bagley, D-4522, passed away on Tuesday March 27, 2018 after a brief illness. Larry served on USPA’s board of directors from 1975-1995, and as USPA President from 1981-1989. He also served a number of positions on the USPA staff from 1995 until his retirement in 2011. In 2003 Larry was honored with the FAI Paul Tissandier Diploma. In 2013 he was honored by USPA with the Lifetime Achievement Award. And in 2016 he was inducted into the International Skydiving Museum’s Hall of Fame. A recap of his many contributions to skydiving and USPA will appear in the next issue of Parachutist."

Damn

Hi Chuck and "ALL!!!,"
The "Bags!!" has "Gone On!!!" ... Just cruzin' along..then "Gone!!" just like in a "Country Song!!"......

I can't let this pass without my "Best Bag's Story!!!!" So, settle down Kiddies, pop a fresh Beer or pour a good shot of 3 fingers of Jack over 5 rocks...(an "Old Blue Eyes!!") and listen...

Back when Men were Men... i believe it was 1981? or somebody re/arrange my brain cells .. when the "El Cap" Bullshit came down the pike!! (Ya have to know the "WHOLE STORY!!!!" Anybody remember the "FLAT BED 11???" Who got booted out of USPA for some Yosemte violation?? well they all got booted for a year!!! well, the "Late" Max Kelly was one of them!! I worked with him at the as we called it at the time...(fun daze)... "Drugless Aircraft company" (inside joke) and after he got booted''' that was that.... well Ray Cottingham The renouned photographer got told by Benny and Diane that he couldn't jump at Perris because he was "Booted!!" "Then Benny found out!!" that MAX was still jumping at the "USPA DZ Elsinore!! and he to was booted so Benny said "Screw U USPA I don't want your "Insurance" anymore and Left the ranks of "USPA DROPZONES!!!!!!" well the "Beat Goes on!! SO!!!! To try to bring back Benny to the fold.... the "Powers that Be" at USPA sent "BAGS" to Perris during the Labor Day Boogie to try to "patch up old wounds!!!!" That what's it was all about..... HOWEVER!!!!!! ...there is a side note!!!!!!!! While there..... the now "Late" "Dick Pedley" was getting his (I THINK??? BUT DON'T QUOTE ME!!!!!) 4,000 jump wings!!!! So this is where the "Fun Begins!!" Great boogie however some troops are getting "careless" ..humming it down and subsequently getting "GROUNDED!!!!!!!" quite a few as I recall ...."The Beat goes on!!" well at the time I was a USPA JM & I at Perris and Billy Reed was going to put up a "DC-3 Load Of Students!!" at the time as a "Back up JM I think the deal was $5 and a "Free Jump" how ever high the plane goes!! Well I'm free at the moment and jump on the load!! Back up Billy!! "THEN!!"I notice Dick Pedley who was doing the "Shoot all the student exits with his 35SLR!! and behind him was ........You Guessed it...."BAGS!!!!!!" .... I said."WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?????" Bags said,"I'm going to give Dick his 4,000 jump wings in Free Fall after we dump the students!!!".... As the Late Frank Gallop would say in his Throaty, Baritone voice,"REALLY!!!"... I say..."NOT WITHOUT ME!!!!!!" (Note: Dickand I are Old Friends!!) SO, Students dumped... Billy and his crew exit, Ron does a quick climb and we get out at 4500' .....Long story short... Dick and Bags get a hook up and I "miss" on the first pass!!! They hold it and "Finally" I "CONNECT!!!!!!!!!!!" YAHOO!!!! Till??... I notice the outside edges of the student Target at Perris and the dirt clods are gettin' "BIG!!!" Down and Dirty about 1500' or so!!!! as we walk in from the target , Mark Smith admonishes us!! Big time but not much else was said!! at least to me and I'm sure not to "BAGS!" later, Dick told me he got "dressed down for that fiasco!!" Hehehehehhehe!! But the thing is...after that.. every time I'd see "Bags" somewhere, we'd run into each other, our eyes would meet, and it was a big GRIN!!!!!,,,, and 1500' at Perris and we would just,"LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I miss you Buddy!!

Dick passed several years ago, now "BAGS"... I guess when I Go I'll have to swoop them up there!!!!

skybill
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

skybill

Hi Chuck and "ALL!!!,"
The "Bags!!" has "Gone On!!!" ... Just cruzin' along..then "Gone!!" just like in a "Country Song!!"......

I can't let this pass without my "Best Bag's Story!!!!" So, settle down Kiddies, pop a fresh Beer or pour a good shot of 3 fingers of Jack over 5 rocks...(an "Old Blue Eyes!!") and listen...

Back when Men were Men... i believe it was 1981? or somebody re/arrange my brain cells .. when the "El Cap" Bullshit came down the pike!! (Ya have to know the "WHOLE STORY!!!!" Anybody remember the "FLAT BED 11???" Who got booted out of USPA for some Yosemte violation?? well they all got booted for a year!!! well, the "Late" Max Kelly was one of them!! I worked with him at the as we called it at the time...(fun daze)... "Drugless Aircraft company" (inside joke) and after he got booted''' that was that.... well Ray Cottingham The renouned photographer got told by Benny and Diane that he couldn't jump at Perris because he was "Booted!!" "Then Benny found out!!" that MAX was still jumping at the "USPA DZ Elsinore!! and he to was booted so Benny said "Screw U USPA I don't want your "Insurance" anymore and Left the ranks of "USPA DROPZONES!!!!!!" well the "Beat Goes on!! SO!!!! To try to bring back Benny to the fold.... the "Powers that Be" at USPA sent "BAGS" to Perris during the Labor Day Boogie to try to "patch up old wounds!!!!" That what's it was all about..... HOWEVER!!!!!! ...there is a side note!!!!!!!! While there..... the now "Late" "Dick Pedley" was getting his (I THINK??? BUT DON'T QUOTE ME!!!!!) 4,000 jump wings!!!! So this is where the "Fun Begins!!" Great boogie however some troops are getting "careless" ..humming it down and subsequently getting "GROUNDED!!!!!!!" quite a few as I recall ...."The Beat goes on!!" well at the time I was a USPA JM & I at Perris and Billy Reed was going to put up a "DC-3 Load Of Students!!" at the time as a "Back up JM I think the deal was $5 and a "Free Jump" how ever high the plane goes!! Well I'm free at the moment and jump on the load!! Back up Billy!! "THEN!!"I notice Dick Pedley who was doing the "Shoot all the student exits with his 35SLR!! and behind him was ........You Guessed it...."BAGS!!!!!!" .... I said."WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?????" Bags said,"I'm going to give Dick his 4,000 jump wings in Free Fall after we dump the students!!!".... As the Late Frank Gallop would say in his Throaty, Baritone voice,"REALLY!!!"... I say..."NOT WITHOUT ME!!!!!!" (Note: Dickand I are Old Friends!!) SO, Students dumped... Billy and his crew exit, Ron does a quick climb and we get out at 4500' .....Long story short... Dick and Bags get a hook up and I "miss" on the first pass!!! They hold it and "Finally" I "CONNECT!!!!!!!!!!!" YAHOO!!!! Till??... I notice the outside edges of the student Target at Perris and the dirt clods are gettin' "BIG!!!" Down and Dirty about 1500' or so!!!! as we walk in from the target , Mark Smith admonishes us!! Big time but not much else was said!! at least to me and I'm sure not to "BAGS!" later, Dick told me he got "dressed down for that fiasco!!" Hehehehehhehe!! But the thing is...after that.. every time I'd see "Bags" somewhere, we'd run into each other, our eyes would meet, and it was a big GRIN!!!!!,,,, and 1500' at Perris and we would just,"LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I miss you Buddy!!

Dick passed several years ago, now "BAGS"... I guess when I Go I'll have to swoop them up there!!!!

skybill

Yea. !! so we go low!! Just hope we don't end up in Hell!!
skybill
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out