Andrewwhyte

John Smith (Aphid)

I'm so sorry to hear that. I loved reading his thoughts on things.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Such a nice guy (as long as you didn't piss him off!), an amazing camera flyer and a pretty certifiable badass.

So glad to have had the opportunity to have shared a few drinks with this guy and to have had the pleasure of knowing him, Blue Skies John!
I got nuthin

Echoing what Rich said, another one of the great ones gone. I will miss our conversations dearly.

:|

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

I first met John over 20 years ago and our paths crossed many times over the years.

He considered Eden North and SD Arizona home, even though he was from Vernon, British Columbia.

He was well known on the national and international stage as a videographer for the Canadian Plaid Jackets (National CF Team) and the Tropical Fish (National FS Team).

By the end of his skydiving career he had just under 5000 jumps and 50 hours of FF time.

He will be missed by many as one of the true characters of the sport.

BSBD,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Did he ever get back to the USA in recent years?

He had a little issue at the US border some years back, heading down in his camper for the winter, carrying a pile of extra cash for living down there for a few months or something, legal money but not declared, fell out of favour with the border guys. Something like that. (I think he even asked for advice on DZ.)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Andrew,

Re: John Smith (Aphid)

One of my last messages to him said that I hope we will get the chance to meet one day.

C'est la vie.

Out of nothing but curiosity; how old was John?

Jerry Baumchen

You two would have hit it off tremendously.