Phil1111

God, Indiana and the Bible

An Indiana county just halted a lifesaving needle exchange program, citing the Bible

“People will absolutely die as a result.”

That’s how Chris Abert of the Indiana Recovery Alliance described the consequences of an Indiana county’s decision to stop a needle exchange program, which provides clean syringes to drug users in an effort to stop the spread of infectious blood-borne diseases like HIV and hepatitis...

Lawrence County commissioners’ reasoning: morals — and the Bible
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/20/16507902/indiana-lawrence-county-needle-exchange

Perhaps the bible should be banned?

Phil1111

An Indiana county just halted a lifesaving needle exchange program, citing the Bible

That’s how Chris Abert of the Indiana Recovery Alliance described the consequences of an Indiana county’s decision to stop a needle exchange program, which provides clean syringes to drug users in an effort to stop the spread of infectious blood-borne diseases like HIV and hepatitis...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/20/16507902/indiana-lawrence-county-needle-exchange

I disagree with their decision. It is too legalistic from a Christian perspective. They better have a huge community health service budget.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***An Indiana county just halted a lifesaving needle exchange program, citing the Bible

I disagree with their decision. It is too legalistic from a Christian perspective. They better have a huge community health service budget.

News flash: only a few addenda in "The Bible" are "Christian." The basic documents predate anything similar to 'Christianity' by centuries, and are greatly at odds with most Christian or Muslim dogma - despite being used for credibility by both wannabe religions.

winsor

******An Indiana county just halted a lifesaving needle exchange program, citing the Bible

News flash: only a few addenda in "The Bible" are "Christian." The basic documents predate anything similar to 'Christianity' by centuries, and are greatly at odds with most Christian or Muslim dogma - despite being used for credibility by both wannabe religions.

I'm not sure that many Jews believe in stonings any more, either.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

winsor

******An Indiana county just halted a lifesaving needle exchange program, citing the Bible

Are you referring to the Sanskrit writings? I know that many of the spiritual concepts found in the Bhagavad Gita are carried forward.

Bottom line for me is that the writings in the Old and New Testaments uplift my spirit and give comfort to my soul. I could never find that until I accepted Christ into my life. That is why I refer to Jesus as my Lord and Savior.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I like to defer to math over some religious moral ground, if you follow the math it doesn't really matter if you have personal feelings that junkies are morally wrong beings that deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions.

Needle exchange program cost < health costs resulting from dirty need use borne by the rest of society.

Needle exchange wins, saves us all money. It is also the compassionate thing to do!!

Same goes for housing the homeless.

Cost of housing even if fully subsidized doesn't come close to the cost of people living on the streets interacting frequently with medical services with frequent ambulance transport and ER visits.

These people can't comprehend what they are reading in the bible. I don't think it is the bibles fault, I think they are just really fucking stupid people.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Not even stupid. Just want to be reassured that the rules they follow are the rules.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DougH

These people can't comprehend what they are reading in the bible. I don't think it is the bibles fault, I think they are just really fucking stupid people.

No, they aren't really all that stupid.

Ignorant, prejudiced and judgmental perhaps, but not stupid.

They read what they want to into their Bible, and ignore the rest.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

No, they aren't really all that stupid.

Ignorant, prejudiced and judgmental perhaps, but not stupid.

They read what they want to into their Bible, and ignore the rest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bible-thumpers are even worse than Hanlon's Razor because they chose to limit their knowledge.

Hanlon's Razor says: "Never attribute to malice decisions that can be blamed on stupidity." ........ in this case: lack of knowledge.

Wow!
All the posters agree on this topic: stopping needle exchange programs is a bad idea.

My bias towards needle exchanges is based on what I see when driving buses through Vancouver's nastier neighbourhoods.
Vancouver has instituted a variety of harm-reduction programs (needle exchanges, supervised injection sites, soup kitchens, open churches, etc.). The end result is a lower cost to the taxpayer and slower spread of infectious diseases among the general public.
Since many Vancouer junkies work in the sex trade - to support their bad habits - they are at high risk of sharing their diseases with casual sex consumers and casual drug users. Customers in this gray area Rd the ones who take nasty diseaes home to their wives and kiddies.

Journalist Malcolm Gladwell uses "Hockey Stick" theory to support needle exchange programs. Gladwell starts by stating that a tiny percentage of patients absorb the bulk of medical spending. If a visit to the emergency on costs tax-payers $10,000 (emergency room staff, X-Ray technicians, ambulances, police, fire crews, etc.) and the average junkie visits the emergency room more than 3 times per year ..... it quickly becomes cheaper to provide them with 3 hots and a cot and public health nurses.

As an aside, Vancouver has lots of junkies, homeless, unemployable, soup kitchens, flop houses, needle exchange sites, etc. because Vancouver has the mildest climate in Canada. It rarely snows in Canada. These same homeless people would freeze to death in most other Canadian cities.

DougH

I like to defer to math over some religious moral ground, if you follow the math it doesn't really matter if you have personal feelings that junkies are morally wrong beings that deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions.

Needle exchange program cost < health costs resulting from dirty need use borne by the rest of society.

Needle exchange wins, saves us all money. It is also the compassionate thing to do!!

Same goes for housing the homeless.

Cost of housing even if fully subsidized doesn't come close to the cost of people living on the streets interacting frequently with medical services with frequent ambulance transport and ER visits.

I agree with everything you've said except for the last sentence. I understand the frustration of thought where you would think that they are F***king stupid.

IMO a fixation of thought and thinking whereby a combination of blaming the victim. A lack of understanding of the dependent nature of the brain. Under the effects of drug dependency, depression and other physical, socioeconomic factors. Leads to the ideology whereby these programs are viewed as supporting and encouraging a dependent mind, a dependent person.

Be it needle exchange, or a anti-addiction program. A combination of counseling, support services needs to be in place. To be ready to move addicts off dependency, off the street and into working life. Stories have been told before from the point of view of the cops,the judges, who deal with these people, the drug support nurses working these needle exchanges.

It saves tens of thousands of dollars a year between health care, prison time,etc. to get these people off dependent chemicals and the streets. I seem to recall a story where ER expenses alone exceed the cost of a cheap apartment for a homeless person on a annual basis.

https://www.forbes.com/2006/08/25/us-homeless-aid-cx_np_0828oxford.html

"U.S. adults with both a mental health disorder and a substance use disorder indicates that only 9.1 percent of those adults received both types of care over the past year, and 52.5 percent received neither mental health care nor substance use treatment. ..

3.3 percent of the adult U.S. population, or some 7.7 million individuals, suffers from both a mental health and substance use disorder.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/news-events/news-releases/2017/10/study-highlights-unmet-treatment-needs-among-adults-mental-health-substance-use-disorders

kallend

***Don't blame me;
I left Indiana in 1991.:P

You can take the boy out of Indiana, but can you take Indiana out of the boy?

I never belonged in IN.
I was born and raised there by mistake.
As soon as I graduated from college, I was outta there!:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.