jclalor

A picture is worth a thousand words.

There is a big problem with the 'apology' / defence of 'it was supposed to be a joke' in that making fun of groping someone is surely a huge contributor to normalising the culture of it being ok to grope people.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm sure Franken will resign right after Trump steps down for that whole "grab 'em by the pussy" thing and Moore bows out of the Alabama race.

The country lost any moral authority to demand politicians step down for sexual misconduct following Bill's impeachment and lack of follow through.

melch

I'm sure Franken will resign right after Trump steps down for that whole "grab 'em by the pussy" thing and Moore bows out of the Alabama race.

The country lost any moral authority to demand politicians step down for sexual misconduct following Bill's impeachment and lack of follow through.

Right on the money.

Now the US is paying for this lying, acceptance of a moral swamp and license. That politicians have been given.

I remember when Billy-a-bob-Clinton said "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". The start of a license.

As I have stated many times, America is paying the price for decadence. The slippery slope has become a downhill slide.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Unlike all the others dealing with their past of bad behavior, Franken has to deal with that picture. Worth a thousand words? More like a million. He will probably survive on his apology if, and only if, more women don't come forward with more stories. But if he did it to one there are probably more stories to come....
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

normiss

I'm confused why Bill Clinton continues to be attacked for a consensual act.
It's not the same as the others by any measure.

It wasn't just the consensual act with Monica. There are plenty of women that have accused him of sexual assault back in his days as Arkansas Governor and before.

RonD1120

As I have stated many times, America is paying the price for decadence. The slippery slope has become a downhill slide.

The behavior Moore is accused of happened back in the 70s.

Trump's accusers go back decades. So do Weinstein's.

There are a variety of accusations coming out in Congress that go back a long, long time too.

This is not a 'new' problem. Simply that women finally feel that they will be believed if they come forward.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

In France its almost a given that powerful men have a mistress. I exaggerate, but such conduct is between two consenting adults. Is accepted. I personally have no issue with what consenting adults do, sexually.

Monica Lewinsky was a 22 year old WH intern. The issue with Bill was started by Paula Jones sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill.

It ended as far as the law is concerned:

"While Clinton can no longer practice law in front of the highest court, it’s not accurate to say that he was disbarred from either the Supreme Court or from practicing law in Arkansas. Clinton’s license was suspended in Arkansas, but he was not disbarred, and while Clinton did face the possibility of being barred from arguing in front the U.S. Supreme Court, he resigned before the ruling was handed down.

On his last day in office in 2001, Clinton agreed to a five-year suspension of his Arkansas law license in order to head off any criminal charges for lying under oath about his relationship with Lewinsky. Clinton has been eligible to seek reinstatement of his license since 2006, but as of 2013 he had not applied to do so.

Shortly after Clinton’s license was suspended in Arkansas, the U.S. Supreme Court suspended Clinton from presenting cases in front of the highest court (which he had never done) and gave him 40 days to contest his disbarment (which Clinton did not do). Instead, he resigned from the Supreme Court bar:

Former President Clinton, facing the possibility of being barred from practicing law before the U.S. Supreme Court because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, has resigned instead, his lawyer said.

“Former President Clinton hereby respectfully requests to resign from the bar of this court,” his lawyer, David Kendall, said in a two-page letter to the high court’s clerk. Kendall did not elaborate on why Clinton decided to resign.

Clinton’s resignation from the Supreme Court bar will have little practical impact. Clinton has not practiced before the Supreme Court and was not expected to argue any cases in the future.

He also paid a $25,000 fine over the Lewinsky incident.

In addition to agreeing to a five-year suspension of his Arkansas law license, Clinton accepted a $25,000 fine:

Clinton was fined $90,000 for giving false testimony in the Paula Jones case.

In April 1999, U.S. District Judge Susan Webber Wright found Clinton in contempt of court for giving false testimony in the Paula Jones sexual harassment trial and fined him over $90,000:
https://www.snopes.com/bill-clinton-fined-and-disbarred-over-the-monica-lewinsky-scandal/

The arguments of "what is,is" were never pursued. The fines and suspensions for perjury in the Jones case was accepted by Bill and paid. Defacto admittance of perjury by Bill, setting aside the Lewinsky perjury.

The impeachment dismissal by congress set all of these facts aside for political reasons. Just more ammo for Fox, the Christian right and a skeptical American public.

RonD1120

Slide started with:

Clinton
Kennedy
Eisenhower
Harding
Charles II
Henry VIII
Henry II
Pope John X
Pope Benedict IX
Saint Peter
Caligula
Julius Caesar
Alexander the Great
Cavemen.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wolfriverjoe

This is not a 'new' problem. Simply that women finally feel that they will be believed if they come forward.

This is what makes America great and other western countries with a free press. Without a free press none of this would be coming out. Since this is all being tried in the court of public opinion.

Some might think and argue that its a distraction. Its not.

Its the sound of rubber meeting the road of the conscious. Its not the:
"Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) said Tuesday that the House has paid out $15 million in harassment settlements over more than a decade, though a spokesperson later clarified that figure does not only account for sexual harassment claims."
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/360398-jackie-speier-the-house-has-paid-out-15-million-on-behalf-of-sexual-harassers

Its part of cleaning up the political, the workplace and the reeducation of men. To learn a new paradigm of respect for women.

Learn a new paradigm of respect for womenpeople.

Fixed it for you. Making fun of men, those "practical jokes" that hurt -- that's also not cool. It's about abuse of power; those who have it just don't understand the dynamic of not having it. While they fight to keep that power.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

normiss

He used his position of power to take advantage of a younger, much more vulnerable individual. Or...he lacked the moral fortitude to know his actions were wrong...and when faced with overwhelming evidence he lied about it.

Looks like Al will be thrown on the bonfire much the same as the others...all deservedly so.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

wmw999

Learn a new paradigm of respect for womenpeople.

Fixed it for you. Making fun of men, those "practical jokes" that hurt -- that's also not cool. It's about abuse of power; those who have it just don't understand the dynamic of not having it. While they fight to keep that power.

Wendy P.

I agree with the principal of the concept that you are making. White men who are a little alpha on the spectrum, for which skydiving has many. Need to have an intrinsic sense of fairness for all around them.

Be it for gays or straight, religious or non-religious and advantaged or non advantaged. Whey you surround yourself with similar thinking people the aspects of equal and fair treatment can go by the wayside.

airdvr

***I'm confused why Bill Clinton continues to be attacked for a consensual act.

He used his position of power to take advantage of a younger, much more vulnerable individual. Or...he lacked the moral fortitude to know his actions were wrong...and when faced with overwhelming evidence he lied about it.

Looks like Al will be thrown on the bonfire much the same as the others...all deservedly so.

Have you commented in the Moore thread?

Anyways, what Franken did was definitely wrong. Seems like he has apologized and it would appear the apology has been accepted.

I see quite a difference between how Franken is dealing with this and how for instance Trump and Moore have dealt with their accusers.

wolfriverjoe

Well that's the slippery slope, isn't it? It starts with these women thinking they're entitled to attack a strong, conservative christian voice in government because he gave them a bit of extra attention they should have been grateful for anyway, and where does it end? The slide could be arrested if we all stood up and reminded them that their place is in the kitchen or sat on our laps, but our wishy washy modern liberal society lacks that moral fortitude.

(The alternative, that Ron thinks sexual harrasment by powerful men is a new problem, is simply too absurd to contemplate. So I'm pretty sure he meant the first thing.)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>The slippery slope has become a downhill slide.

The fact that women can now come forward and name their attackers is a GOOD thing.

Don't forget the failure of the ERA. States like AL are the reason.

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, and Virginia.

Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***>The slippery slope has become a downhill slide.

The fact that women can now come forward and name their attackers is a GOOD thing.

Don't forget the failure of the ERA. States like AL are the reason.

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, and Virginia.

IL is not remotely like AL.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

IL is not remotely like AL.

Not your part of IL. How much time have you spent in the southern and rural parts of IL? It's one of the most backwards places I've ever been to. Jesus and the Holy Gun Lobby have more billboards there than in GA. Ted Nugent country. Il is two very different cultures. Chicagoland, and the rest of it.

Lawndarter

***As I have stated many times, America is paying the price for decadence. The slippery slope has become a downhill slide.

And yet people like you keep voting for it.

You are absolutely correct. Whenever a righteous candidate rises up the progressive liberal left crucifies him because they represent an evil agenda. They know a righteous candidate will have a negative effect on their illusion of joyful living. We therefore are only given the choices of relative evil. We have to choose the least offensive.

We can never make a better world. We can only choose our individual path to truth. That path starts with surrender of the ego at the foot of the cross of Calvary. That is the way of repentance, the way to allow Christ and the Holy Spirit into your life.

America is paying the price for legalized abortion.

Psalm 106:
They served their idols,
Which became a snare to them.
They even sacrificed their sons
And their daughters to demons,
And shed innocent blood,
The blood of their sons and daughters,
Whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaanlust;
And the land was polluted with blood.
Thus they were defiled by their own works,
And played the harlot by their own deeds.
Therefore the wrath of the Lord was kindled against His people,
So that He abhorred His own inheritance.
And He gave them into the hand of the Gentiles,
And those who hated them ruled over them.
Their enemies also oppressed them,
And they were brought into subjection under their hand.
Many times He delivered them;
But they rebelled in their counsel,
And were brought low for their iniquity.

Substitution mine
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.