ryoder

PA State Rep Daryl Metcalfe declares himself to be a heterosexual

I am not trying to stick up for any one in the particular instance. But isn't unwanted touching a form of harasment. What if Metcalfe was a female and objected to being touched in that manner?
I defiantly think the way Metcalfe addressed the matter was a bit of drama, but do we know if this is the first time or is it ongoing?
I work with a salesman that is constantly touching everyone. I have called him on it but he still does it. I don't work around him often so I have not made a big issue of it but if I worked around him everyday and had to put up with it I would defiantly complain to managment.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

No need to be so defiant about everything!
Relax!

To me, touching others has rules, limitations, and degrees of acceptance.
We should all be mindful of that, yet not all are.
I know plenty of people who simply do not nor will they ever understand the little social signals that people send out.

Oh I'm relaxed Normis.
I agree basically with what you say about touching people. Any more in a work place enviorment it should not happen in any way that would be perceived as unwarented by the touchee.
I was in the navy around the same time as you, was a hole snipe. We were verry touchy especially during greadings. I don't think that would go over good in the workplace today.
Like I say Metcalfe may have been overly dramatic there, but has this been an ongoing thing or only this one time? I don't know. If somebody else does it may explain his reaction. Maybe? Maybe not?
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

I finally got around to watching it. Metcalfe is somewhere at one far end of the touchy-feely spectrum (which Americans are pretty far over on anyway, but nowhere close to the Japanese as far as I know). According to stereotype, your average Italian man is somewhere over on the other end, and a touchy-feely Italian man would be WAY over there.

Bradford should be sensitive to this; it's in his job description as politician. Metcalfe was a dick about it, and didn't help himself at all.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When men guests leave or I meet a man I don't do that California huggy shit. If pressed I shake their hand. This man huggy crap started a while ago. I don't like it. I am not a dick about it though. I just shove my had out for a handshake if I feel like it. Most of the time I don't do anything. I say, "see you soon" or something like that.

I don't know when the "man huggy shit " greeting fad started, but for me, the sooner it ends, the better.

Women, on the other hand...if they want one - they get a hug. If they don't then I don't.

dpreguy

When men guests leave or I meet a man I don't do that California huggy shit. If pressed I shake their hand. This man huggy crap started a while ago. I don't like it. I am not a dick about it though. I just shove my had out for a handshake if I feel like it. Most of the time I don't do anything. I say, "see you soon" or something like that.

I don't know when the "man huggy shit " greeting fad started, but for me, the sooner it ends, the better.

Women, on the other hand...if they want one - they get a hug. If they don't then I don't.

The whole episode was about this topic, but the best part starts at 15:25:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x233a38:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm not sure about the "California touchy-feely" part. When I greet old Army buddies we "man hug" and we're not exactly a touchy-feely crowd.

If a hug is appropriate, I'll equally hug a man or a woman. It's only appropriate, for me at least, if the person is a very close friend, or if we've seen some shit together. Army buddies and skydivers get a hug. Work friends, people I'm meeting for the first time, and casual acquaintances not so much.

Touching someone on the elbow to get their attention is not over any line I've ever come across.

- Dan G

In Argentina it's common for male friends to great each other with a kiss on the cheek. Nothing homosexual about it, it's just how they do.

Hanging out on DZ's there where we're all family, I got caught off guard a couple of times when some dude I was just meeting went to plant one on me. I got pretty quick at shooting out my arm for a handshake!
I got nuthin

Dan G I agree with you. A few man hugs are Ok as you describe. Just not liking it to be an expected practice every time a man meets a man. Way too (as you say) touchy -feely for me. If a man hugged me because we just met I would consider it an invasion of my space, not a homosexual thing. Offensive on a 'my space' basis.

Metcalf's reaction was just being a dick. No need for that.

dpreguy

Not so much a new thing just depends what circles you run in. It's always been a "thing" in the biker world. I will hug family, close friends and guys I served with especially if I have not seen them for a while.

Some people are huggy and some aren't no biggie.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

>When men guests leave or I meet a man I don't do that California huggy shit.

Yep. Different places do different things. My wife (from Oregon) is still a little surprised when people want to kiss her on the cheek all the time when she goes to New York. In Oregon they tend to just hug.

Metcalfe really just needs a safe space, doesn't he, with no triggers :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)