wmw999

Puerto Rico a few months later

Realizing there are stories, I'm sure, of devastation in Houston and Florida still, it doesn't really matter -- devastation is devastation, and saying that every single person in Houston has to be helped before we can worry about Puerto Rico is BS.

This is a local builder where I live now; he's a real person, and not some pundit with an agenda.

Puerto Rico as beautiful and romantic as ever even though it is wounded and in shock.

There's misery everywhere; someone close to you has more problems than you do. And you can't solve everything (or probably completely solve much of anything), but we can each remember that individuals can be helped, and that help is real.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I discussed this somewhat with my stepson, an electrical contractor in FL, over Christmas. He is pessimistic about the opportunities in PR. He agrees there is plenty of work to be done. However, he said the main problem now, that he is aware of, is assurance of payment for work completed.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Great story.

I was disgusted by this:

"The so-called congressional tax overhaul includes a new 12 percent tax on goods made in Puerto Rico on U.S. patents, as if they were a foreign country. Kick them again, harder, when they are down."

I'm not sure why _anyone_ finds that at all acceptable.

Good article, saw nothing exaggerated or false. Thats how it is today.
Less than 50% has power, government says more than 70% :D
Getting back up slowly thanks to ourselves and volunteers, federal government has done the minumum. FEMA gave me $325 for my 100% gone house, and I spent $1200 just cleaning debris hahah...thank you fema!

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

billvon

Great story.

I was disgusted by this:

"The so-called congressional tax overhaul includes a new 12 percent tax on goods made in Puerto Rico on U.S. patents, as if they were a foreign country. Kick them again, harder, when they are down."

Thats what colonies are for. Exploit them, take everything you can for as long as they allow you to. Give back 10% of what you take, call it "help" and make them believe they will starve without you. Welcome to PR!
That 12% tax equals thousands of jobs lost, and thousands more moving to Orlando and Kissimmee :D
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

yeyo

***Great story.

I was disgusted by this:

Thats what colonies are for. Exploit them, take everything you can for as long as they allow you to. Give back 10% of what you take, call it "help" and make them believe they will starve without you. Welcome to PR!
That 12% tax equals thousands of jobs lost, and thousands more moving to Orlando and Kissimmee :D

This could have been the chance for the US to show PR that it's worth being a state. In my opinion PR should break away from the US or entirely stop paying federal tax. If the US doesn't support its own citizens then why should they pay the nearly $4 Billion they do annually into the national treasury.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher