yoink

Hawaii ballistic missile alert!

muff528

******I'd rather be tired of SPAM; than hungry for SPAM.

Good point.

Agreed. (I like Spam, BTW)

We ate way too much government cheese and government meat when I was growing up. I got sick of spam and velveta almost before I ever had spam or velveta. Every time Union Carbide was on strike or had a layoff we got boxes of those shiny metal cans.

wmw999

Maybe I haven't had enough of it. I still like creamed chipped beef (as well as creamed hamburger). Chicken a la king not as much, it's not as savory.

Wendy P.

Me too. I never had a problem with it even when I was in the army. But then growing up in a navy household we had fried bologna for a few days before payday.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Since there are several alerts there, and I wouldn't want to be the person who sent out a false alarm for a tidal wave either, I think they should have a sign next to it with a word that has to match the condition you've selected.

incoming missile alert selected. enter MISSILE to confirm.

Tidal wave warning selected. enter BIGWAVE to confirm

and so on.

ryoder

Tweet with photo of menu that was used to send wrong alert: https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/953127542050795520/photo/1

What in the actual fuck. Forget punishing the guy who clicked the wrong thing, he gets a pass. Whoever "designed" that interface though, hoooo boy....
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

What in the actual fuck. Forget punishing the guy who clicked the wrong thing, he gets a pass. Whoever "designed" that interface though, hoooo boy....

Even then, the page is so crude it looks like something whipped out just to test the functions, where nobody went back to design the "real" page before the system was rolled out.

pchapman

Even then, the page is so crude it looks like something whipped out just to test the functions, where nobody went back to design the "real" page before the system was rolled out.

I kept thinking it was a page from the system log, but nope.

Bob_Church

I kept thinking it was a page from the system log, but nope.

I think the real mystery here is why this has only happened once!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

nolhtairt

though I'm not sure where they got the numbers

Right.....only go there for the articles.....

Don't look at me. I've never been to Hawaii.

I have. You should go. Especially Maui. Bucket List. Worth it.

Unfortunately, never flying commercial again is already on my bucket list. It's a long way from Southeast Ohio to Hawaii.

Bob_Church

Unfortunately, never flying commercial again is already on my bucket list. It's a long way from Southeast Ohio to Hawaii.
OK I am curious. That seems an odd thing to aspire to - why? (If you don't mind me asking?)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

OK I am curious. That seems an odd thing to aspire to - why? (If you don't mind me asking?)

No, no problem. I just don't deal with the whole cattle car thing very well. I guess it's part of being spoiled, even at work I didn't have to deal with other people much more than I wanted to. i've only flown commercial twice in my life and I hated it both times, and that was before 9/11. If I need to then sure, I will but I'm fortunate enough that I don't need to fly for work or to visit family. And our favorite vacation spots are in Wisconsin and in Gulf Shores Alabama and either of those are easy drives. In fact, when you figure in having to rent a car and pare down what you take I think it's easier to drive to both. And the fact that the nearest airport is a little over 100 miles away doesn't help. That's not a big factor but they add up. It's like getting a root canal, I can if I have to, but I'd rather not.