billvon

Government shutdown

So the government has shut down. Interestingly, the administration has ordered that parks remain open with no services; pictures of closed parks make for terrible optics.

Trivia question - who said this?

"Here’s the truth, the gov't doesn’t shutdown. ... All essential services continue. Don't believe lies."

"My sense is that people are far angrier at the President than they are at Congress re the shutdown—an interesting turn!"

What I find unfortunate is that while these "shutdowns" affect people like me directly (WRT being paid on time) is that the people in congress still receive a paycheck. If it were up to me they wouldn't be exempt. Guess we'll see if I'm able to pay my mortgage on the first.
Muff #5048

billvon

Trivia question - who said this?

"Here’s the truth, the gov't doesn’t shutdown. ... All essential services continue. Don't believe lies."

"My sense is that people are far angrier at the President than they are at Congress re the shutdown—an interesting turn!"

Hmmm.... tricky one. Here is another - who said this about the 2013 shutdown:

"The problems start from the top and have to get solved from the top. The president is the leader, and he's got to get everybody in a room and he's got to lead."
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

It is called the "Schumer Shutdown."

>1/19/18
Mick Mulvaney: ‘We’re calling this Schumer Shutdown’
Mick Mulvaney, Director of the Office of Management and Budget, says he’s perplexed as to why the Democrats in the Senate are opposing the budget bill when “they don’t oppose anything in the bill.” <

http://www.msnbc.com/velshi-ruhle/watch/mick-mulvaney-we-re-calling-this-schumer-shutdown-1140802627682
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Being a right wing Trump appointment of mercenary allegiance he would say that, wouldn’t he? Funny thing isn’t that if he wasn’t a Trump appointment he’s probably oppose it himself.

“Mulvaney, previously a stalwart deficit hawk, became a proponent of large federal deficits after his appointment to the Trump administration.”
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Tying Children's Health Insurance Program to a wall that is simply a waste of billion$$$ of dollars as well as deporting people brought here by their parents is disgusting.
This is ALL on Trump with Kelly pulling the trigger.
DACA AND CHIP should not be used as leverage and tied to other bills, they should have already been dealt with entirely on their own.
But Trump is a spoiled little bitch and isn't getting what he wants, so it's terrible 2 year old time.

millertime24

What I find unfortunate is that while these "shutdowns" affect people like me directly (WRT being paid on time) is that the people in congress still receive a paycheck. If it were up to me they wouldn't be exempt. Guess we'll see if I'm able to pay my mortgage on the first.

Couldn’t agree more. AND the presidents pay should be frozen.

If it happens twice to the same government I think there should be an automatic firing of Congress. What more proof do you need that they aren’t doing their jobs?

>You are talking about the current Schumer shutdown?

Given that they had a deal before Trump has his shithole tantrum - nope.

WaPo poll:

48% blame president/GOP if shutdown happens
28% blame democrats if shutdown happens

CNN:

47% president or GOP
31% democrats

====================
Donald Trump blamed for shutdown exactly one year after he took office

US President comes under fire as eleventh-hour negotiations fail, sparking lapse in federal funding

Lucy Pasha-Robinson
The Independent
1/20/2018

Donald Trump has come under fire after the US Government was forced to shut down for the first time in four years.

On the anniversary of the US President’s inauguration, Congress found itself locked in a stalemate between spending priorities and immigration, sparking a lapse in federal funding.

The Senate had until midnight on Friday (5am Saturday GMT) to pass a short-term spending bill.

But the motion – that would have funded the government up to 16 February – was blocked, triggering a shutdown.

The hashtag #TrumpShutdown rocketed to the top of Twitter's worldwide trending topics on Friday, as citizens criticised the former real estate mogul for the impasse.
=====================

millertime24

You are not alone! Trump can't get to his golf course. And you thought you had it bad.

There is a deal available that would pass in both houses. But Ryan and McConnell will not bring it up for a vote because they are afraid the indecisive, prevaricating dotard who has hijacked the oval office may have a hissy fit if he sees it as not making America more white like his supporters are demanding.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

billvon

>You are talking about the current Schumer shutdown?

Given that they had a deal before Trump has his shithole tantrum - nope.

And as a reminder, this is what Trump was saying about the bill on the 9th, (just 11 days ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQmUiD7Gyk
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

gowlerk

There is a deal available that would pass in both houses. But Ryan and McConnell will not bring it up for a vote because they are afraid the indecisive, prevaricating dotard who has hijacked the oval office may have a hissy fit if he sees it as not making America more white like his supporters are demanding.

Yes but people like Ron or Marc need to be told what to think and need to be told who to blame.

If you ask them to back up their accusation you will get the breitbart/fox talking points one by one.

>And as a reminder, this is what Trump was saying about the bill on the 9th

Which was "I will say when this group comes back hopefully with an agreement, this group and others come back with an agreement, I'm signing it. I will be signing it."

What he was saying, of course, was "I will say that when this group comes back hopefully with an agreement, I will call black countries 'shitholes' and destroy any deal they make." It's not his fault that liberals can't understand his genius prevarications.

SkyDekker

huh? Ryoder's credibility isn't in question with me, that's for sure.

Care to explain?

I'm pretty sure he responded to the wrong user's post.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***huh? Ryoder's credibility isn't in question with me, that's for sure.

Care to explain?

I'm pretty sure he responded to the wrong user's post.:D

Correct. Typing on a cell phone on a boat in the Caribbean.....

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***You are talking about the current Schumer shutdown?

It wasn't Schumer who claimed "I alone can fix it".

@RNC leadership should not be afraid of a government shutdown. They should be afraid of not defunding ObamaCare.
7:47 AM - Sep 18, 2013

Congratulations to @SpeakerBoehner on standing strong and tying government shutdown to defunding ObamaCare.
7:13 AM - Sep 20, 2013

It is outrageous and disgusting that families of U.S. MILITARY personnel killed in action will not be given money for burials. SAD!
5:39 AM - Oct 9, 2013

“Here’s the truth, the gov't doesn’t shutdown” http://apne.ws/16lbI86 via @AP. All essential services continue. Don't believe lies.
1:35 PM - Sep 23, 2013

83% of the government is still running during the shutdown while 41% of nondefense federal workers are furloughed. Room for cuts.
1:58 PM - Oct 7, 2013

Stocks rose yesterday during the first day of government shutdown. Markets like being left alone for a day.
2:32 PM - Oct 2, 2013

My sense is that people are far angrier at the President than they are at Congress re the shutdown—an interesting turn!
3:05 PM - Oct 7, 2013

either elect more Republican Senators in 2018 or change the rules now to 51%. Our country needs a good "shutdown" in September to fix mess!
7:07 AM - May 2, 2017

All trump tweets in support of the last republican shutdown.

"A shutdown falls on the President's lack of leadership. He can't even control his party and get people together in a room. A shutdown means the President is weak" -Donald Trump 2013

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

McConnell has refused to hear efforts to benefits for and to pay the military during the shutdown, even saying "I object!".
Senate Democrats asked for unanimous consent to pass an extension of CHIP. McConnell objected to that also.

McConnell has no chin nor spine.
It's sickening that the republicans are insisting on tying racism to this shutdown.

It's starting to sound like the WH chief of staff is playing a large role in holding out for a deal Ds can't support. Ryan and McConnell seem to be a little powerless and fearful without any real leadership from the POTUS. Something will give sooner or later. But not till one side or the other decides the cost to themselves is becoming too great. Part of the problem is that there are not two sides. There are many sides. All frightened to anger the portion of the population that they depend on.

I must tell you, it's fascinating to watch as an outsider. (Even though I've been in Eloy for the past 10 days)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.