wmw999

The last on-fire thread

Was the previous "another mass shooting" thread. It's on p. 7 right now. I'm not willing to look past p. 15 for the previous one.

That's kind of depressing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Was the previous "another mass shooting" thread. It's on p. 7 right now. I'm not willing to
>look past p. 15 for the previous one.

>That's kind of depressing.

But somewhat emblematic of the problem in the larger world. Lots of outrage, lots of work, even more work to ensure nothing changes.

Lots of outrage, lots of work, even more work to ensure nothing changes.

Change is going to be a very heavy lift in your country. The 2nd really boxes you in and the bar to amend the constitution is extremely high. My guess is that the courts will eventually "adjust" the meaning of it. But only when the people clearly demand change. And so far the majority are not.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

> But only when the people clearly demand change. And so far the majority are not.

The majority are. But so far it's being ignored.

I imagine what it will take is for the majority to become single issue voters. "He supports gun rights? I am voting for the other guy." It will be sad to see it get to that point, because then we 1) get lousy leaders (i.e. ANY single issue voter makes poorer choices than someone who looks at all the candidate's stances) and 2) then you are going to see draconian changes that remove basic gun rights.

But as far as I can tell, that's what it will take. We have too many people who are single issue voters the other way to make any reasonable change.

billvon

>Was the previous "another mass shooting" thread. It's on p. 7 right now. I'm not willing to
>look past p. 15 for the previous one.

>That's kind of depressing.

But somewhat emblematic of the problem in the larger world. Lots of outrage, lots of work, even more work to ensure nothing changes.

Unfortunately Bill, it is the changes that have been pushed by the left for the last four decades or more that have gotten us to where we are now. It's not about gun control. And I think even deep in your heart you know it!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

> But only when the people clearly demand change. And so far the majority are not.

I imagine what it will take is for the majority to become single issue voters. "He supports gun rights? I am voting for the other guy." It will be sad to see it get to that point, because then we 1) get lousy leaders (i.e. ANY single issue voter makes poorer choices than someone who looks at all the candidate's stances) and 2) then you are going to see draconian changes that remove basic gun rights.

But as far as I can tell, that's what it will take. We have too many people who are single issue voters the other way to make any reasonable change.

Yup, totally agree. We want an easy decision based on oversimplified labels which obscure the real issues, we want our labels on the headlines, neatly packaged, easy to digest, half the calories, for $5.99 in 30 minutes or less or your next one is free. The answer isn't a 1 or a 0? It's too much work to apply any critical thought, so people want others to do the work for them and make it easier to vote for a sound byte.

I personally have 3 thoughts on political or international issues: 1) The truth is almost always more complicated than you think, 2) You need to apply a critical eye to EVERYTHING you read or see in the news and use multiple sources, and 3) Don't live in an echo chamber: if everyone around you and everything you read or hear agrees with your viewpoint, you should probably check yourself.
The best things in life are dangerous.

I personally have 3 thoughts on political or international issues: 1) The truth is almost always more complicated than you think, 2) You need to apply a critical eye to EVERYTHING you read or see in the news and use multiple sources, and 3) Don't live in an echo chamber: if everyone around you and everything you read or hear agrees with your viewpoint, you should probably check yourself.

Nicely put.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well put! Very true.

billvon

Being anti-gun is still political suicide. One a countrywide scale, no Democrat is going to beat a Republican by running on a gun restriction platform. It's too easy for a Republican to use that to get voters into the booths and Democrats are too lazy to overcome those odds.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***> But only when the people clearly demand change. And so far the majority are not.

Being anti-gun is still political suicide. One a countrywide scale, no Democrat is going to beat a Republican by running on a gun restriction platform. It's too easy for a Republican to use that to get voters into the booths and Democrats are too lazy to overcome those odds.

Depends on the districts represented. Heavy Democratic leaning districts are still going to vote in Democratic candidates.

nolhtairt

******> But only when the people clearly demand change. And so far the majority are not.

Depends on the districts represented. Heavy Democratic leaning districts are still going to vote in Democratic candidates.

Definitely, I was trying to quantify that to mean on a Countrywide scale. You'll see Democrats make safe moves and we definitely won't see it in a President.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher