Bob_Church

Bible School demo

Since religion is being tossed around in here I thought I'd throw this in. Of if you'd prefer look at it as a community thing.
My favorite jump in many years was a demo into a Bible School event a few years back. When we moved out here from Athens I noticed this Church on the way. It sits up on a hill surrounded by fields and I knew I just had to jump there. Somehow. Then one year there were signs all over the place about the upcoming Bible School and the theme this year was Flight. This was it. A friend that I worked with is an Elder there and we have lunch about once a week so I asked him about it. I was surprised at how little interest he showed. Oh well. Then as we were leaving he said "do you always have to jump at that airport?" He thought I was talking about bussing all the kids out there to watch me jump then back to the Church. When I told him that we (Scott and I) would jump at the Church he got a lot more excited about it.
So here's where it gets really interesting, I think. They had a new youth pastor and this was his first year, and going by his age I suspect it might be his first job. He really wanted to do a great job with this event, it being his first and all and got to work finding something Flight related. His first try was for a hot air balloon. It turned out that even if he could afford it, (did I mention that he had a very limited budget?) they explained that you just couldn't do those things with a balloon. Ok, so then he called the outfit up at Lancaster airport that gives lessons in and rents helicopters. After they got the misconceptions worked out, no they weren't trying to sell him a helicopter, that's really what it costs to rent one for an afternoon, he knew he was whipped. He was out of ideas and he just didn't have anyway to make this particular event special. Joe didn't know any of this at the time but he said that when he got to the guy's office he was leaning back in his chair looking pretty low. dejected and his feet weren't even touching the floor. Hey, even youth pastors are human. He sort of muttered hello to Joe who then said "a friend of mine was wondering if you'd like for him and a buddy of his to skydive into your event. It wouldn't cost you anything."
Joe said he somehow went instantly from leaning back dejected to standing in front of him with a huge smile.
And it went perfectly. This guy was a ball of energy and a few weeks later when the time arrived he'd marked off a big square where he wanted us to land. He had each child put their name on a paper plate and these were laid in that area. Scott and I would land on one each and those two would get prizes. And they were nice ones, big electronic stuff that I wanted. And the weather, the big spoiler in the sky, literally couldn't have been better, liquid blue sky with just a few puffy white clouds to give it that 3-D look and a six mile wind in the perfect direction. My biggest problem was resisting the urge to land on the inflated sliding board.
And here's the funniest part. Scott and I had just stepped out of an aircraft at 5k, went into freefall, flew around under our.. well, you all know. And yet Scott and I together weren't pumping half the adrenaline of this guy. Like I said, you can see it as a Church event or a community support thing but it was a really good feeling to help out, and all out of the blue.

aftermath.jpg

Erroll

Lovely story.

(Quite a small target for the demo, eh? Well done!)

PS. I'd like to see this thread moved elsewhere. It is likely to be sullied by the denizens of this forum.

Too late.

And thanks for sharing that, Bob.

Really cool story.

Regardless of my issues with organized religion, showing the kids something really cool is special and very kind of you (yeah, I know you wanted to jump there anyway).

Kids are the best spectators.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

(yeah, I know you wanted to jump there anyway)

That was one of the things I really like about it, it worked out well for everyone. Harry the pilot even gave me a break on the fee, $75 total. That's ferry to and from Vinton County / Albany Airport and two jumpers. Not bad at all.

Bob_Church

***Most excellent, thanks for sharing. I've made several church demos and they were always a blessing.

And you can never beat the food.

Always thought the portion sizes were a little small. Little cracker and a sip of wine if you are lucky.

SkyDekker

******Most excellent, thanks for sharing. I've made several church demos and they were always a blessing.

Always thought the portion sizes were a little small. Little cracker and a sip of wine if you are lucky.

You have to experience a Methodist or Baptist feast to believe it. The spread at Leon Wv when I'd jump for their Ultralight Weekends was close, but nothing quite matches a Methodist pot luck.

Bob_Church

*********Most excellent, thanks for sharing. I've made several church demos and they were always a blessing.

You have to experience a Methodist or Baptist feast to believe it. The spread at Leon Wv when I'd jump for their Ultralight Weekends was close, but nothing quite matches a Methodist pot luck.

^This. Big time.

This is Southeast Ohio, right? My mom grew up there. Cuisine in the central Appalachian region (is that the Allegheny range?) is basic and 'standard American fare', but is absolutely amazing. Fried chicken as good or better than any in the 'south'; casseroles that you never would have thought of, and likely never would think would work that are delicious; cakes, pies and other desserts that make you wish you hadn't eaten so much of the other food.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

************Most excellent, thanks for sharing. I've made several church demos and they were always a blessing.

^This. Big time.

This is Southeast Ohio, right? My mom grew up there. Cuisine in the central Appalachian region (is that the Allegheny range?) is basic and 'standard American fare', but is absolutely amazing. Fried chicken as good or better than any in the 'south'; casseroles that you never would have thought of, and likely never would think would work that are delicious; cakes, pies and other desserts that make you wish you hadn't eaten so much of the other food.

Yep, that's us. And by what I'm sure is coincidence, the most obese area in the US.

This is the coroner for Ashland Kentucky (part of the tristate area an hour or two drive from here) with other county officials trying to warn kids to stay away from heroin because it's bad for your health. You tell them and tell them that their health is the most important thing in the world and they act like they don't even hear you. Damn kids!

(this was sent to me by a friend who added the text and arrow)

DeadManWalking.jpg

Yep, that's us. And by what I'm sure is coincidence, the most obese area in the US.

By my observation that distinction belongs to the state of Iowa.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wolfriverjoe

************Most excellent, thanks for sharing. I've made several church demos and they were always a blessing.

^This. Big time.

Where did she grow up?