Bob_Church

Church and getting older

I think we, the boomers, are the first generation in the US where a lot of us, probably the majority, don't belong to a Church. It will be interesting to see how much impact that has on us as we age. Churches aren't just about the religious aspect, they had a huge social aspect. They helped, and still do of course, battle loneliness and on occasion help around the house, that sort of thing.

There are a lot of crossroads type mega church's popping up - probably to fulfill the need of community without the historical 'judgement' of organized religion.

There are also other community organizations to belong to that will help us boomers cope with life's meaning or lack thereof. The best quality of church (IMHO) was the charity and giving back to the community.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Bob_Church

I think we, the boomers, are the first generation in the US where a lot of us, probably the majority, don't belong to a Church. It will be interesting to see how much impact that has on us as we age. Churches aren't just about the religious aspect, they had a huge social aspect. They helped, and still do of course, battle loneliness and on occasion help around the house, that sort of thing.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently having gone to a Unitarian church growing up and then to a non-denominational church. They're great communities with good people and if they served mimosas on a Sunday morning I'd be game. I'm not interested in hearing about religion or activism but there are plenty of other things that bring a community together and create activities for people of all ages.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

There are a lot of crossroads type mega church's popping up - probably to fulfill the need of community without the historical 'judgement' of organized religion.

Draw crowds with entertainment, coffee shops, McDonald's style "play places" for the kids, and messages with weak theology lacking much biblical teaching...but...appeals to the masses because it's what makes them "feel" comfortable and gives them lots of the self-help, self-centered advice most people are looking for with just enough Christianity sprinkled here and there for them to call it a church. But...they do have good coffee!

I've always felt that as people age and get closer to dying they turn to the church in fear. Fear of death has always been a huge marketing tool. You know...the heaven and hell thing. ;)

As far as the boomer thing goes I'm at the end of the boom (born in 1958). I wonder what all the assisted living facilities and mega-churches will do when we're all dead.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

jaybird18c

Draw crowds with entertainment, coffee shops, McDonald's style "play places" for the kids, and messages with weak theology lacking much biblical teaching...but...appeals to the masses because it's what makes them "feel" comfortable and gives them lots of the self-help, self-centered advice most people are looking for with just enough Christianity sprinkled here and there for them to call it a church. But...they do have good coffee!

You no doubt see a downside here?

jaybird18c

Not interested in a Christian church with its zealotry, bigotry and brainwashing. There are some good parts too, I'll give it that but there are also texts and messages from every other point of the compass that do a better job at expressing moral values. You certainly don't need Christianity sprinkled in to call it a church.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

My father (who believed deeply, but personally), thought that church was a really good opportunity to spend an hour a week thinking about what it meant to be a good person. There are other ways to do that, but a structured time to think about that isn't a bad thing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When I was a broke grad student in 2014, it occurred to me that it would be cheaper to spend the summer on a bicycle tour than it would be to pay rent and utilities for the summer. So that's what I did.

The plan was to ride through the Southeast US, stopping to visit friends along the way. Most nights, though, I planned to stealth camp. I was already a bicycle commuter, so I had most of the bike gear. I had no camping equipment, so I bought that, mostly well-reviewed REI clearance items.

I learned early on that I didn't much care for camping. I didn't mind the tent, I just found the wild pretty unappealing. So I started camping on church lawns. I asked permission whenever possible, but churches are often vacant during the week. I kept with the "leave no trace" approach. In most cases when there was someone there I was made to feel welcome, in some to the extent of feeling like an honored guest. There were only a few who were unwelcoming.

I attended several services that summer. A few gave me much to ponder, even without the dogma. I can see the appeal.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

For me the desire to attend church, regardless of age, is simply the desire to fellowship with those with whom I share like experience.

It is similar to the kind of fellowship with other jumpers following a day at the DZ.

The experience of salvation in Christ is so overwhelming that it produces a need, want or desire to be with brothers and sisters. For each of us the phenomena of being totally engulfed in the forgiving love, Agape, of God is an eternal Holy Instant. To share that love is wonderful. Those are the true believers.

There are also make believers and non-believers that attend church. They have different agendas.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

For me the desire to attend church, regardless of age, is simply the desire to fellowship with those with whom I share like experience.

It is similar to the kind of fellowship with other jumpers following a day at the DZ.

Sounds like the same reasons we go.

airdvr

I've always felt that as people age and get closer to dying they turn to the church in fear. Fear of death has always been a huge marketing tool. You know...the heaven and hell thing. ;)

As far as the boomer thing goes I'm at the end of the boom (born in 1958). I wonder what all the assisted living facilities and mega-churches will do when we're all dead.

Some use the church for other marketing:
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/381037-prominent-pastor-charged-with-defrauding-seniors-in-investment-scheme