pchapman

Re: [brenthutch] Trump saves the planet

EDIT: This is a reply to brenthutch's "Trump saves the planet" post which was in Bonfire but somehow his original post disappeared when it got moved to Speakers Corner.

Leaving me replying ... to nothing.

Whatever, I'll just leave my reply up.

Anyway, he mentioned a news article from Germany where Trump's America was lauded for CO2 reductions (in some recently calculated couple years?), something which other places like the European Union didn't achieve.

I argue that the achievement was despite Trump, not because of Trump.

==================

That 23 million metric tonnes [that the US saved] is a 0.5% reduction. [ie, a small relative amount]

And the UK with a much smaller population achieved a savings of 15 million, largely through CO2 pricing as I understand it (reading the original Die Welt article) The US had the biggest per country reduction, but not per capita.

Can you tell me what Trump did in particular during his tenure to achieve that reduction??
Enlighten me.

The Die Welt article suggests that improvements in the US in recent years were largely due to energy sources that reduced CO2 emissions. First, increased natural gas (eg, through fracking) at the expense of coal. Increasing renewable sources have also contributed.

For all I know, Trump may have spearheaded some policies reducing CO2 emissions. But given his distrust of global climate change theories, and support of the coal industry, I figure the headline shoudn't be:

"Trump saves..."

But should be more like:

"Despite Trump's efforts, the US improves ...

I see that the Die Welt's headline is now being trumpeted at places like CFACT, which wikipedia says is a "nonprofit organization founded in 1985 that advocates for free-market solutions to environmental issues,but has increasingly turned to climate denial".

Well, when someone is banned from SC, and then posts "SC grade" material in the BF, it's generally frowned upon.

Kinda funny that an increase in renewables was part of the reason.

Somebody thinks that renewables are just a scam.

And I have to wonder exactly what this publication is.

I've never heard of it (which doesn't mean a whole lot), and the Wiki page on it is a bit sparse.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Just to give some perspective, "Die Welt" (The World) is considered a quite biased news outlet by many, akin to Fox News. Though not necessarily centered on Trump, they like the populistic world view.
I'd not read too much into this news article in terms of general opinion in Germany.