wmw999

Book recommendation for USians

I just finished reading The Constitutional Convention, a Narrative History from the Notes of James Madison. It’s an abridged version of his notes (I.e. they leave what they think is the less interesting stuff out, and modernize some but not all of the language).

As an illustration of how the men involved expressed their thoughts on some of the more basic and/or controversial issues before them, it’s wonderful. As an illustration of how hard it is to balance all the needs and wants, while still achieving a goal, it’s wonderful. And as an illustration that even at the time, there were participants who didn’t support the result, it’s also wonderful.

Personally, I think it should be required reading for anyone who holds office, legislative, judicial, or executive, in the US. With the caveats that
  • a. Madison probably did some editing of his notes (although in the back matter, the authors of this say they tried to stick to clearly unedited notes, and clarify with other participants’ less-comprehensive notes)
  • b. The framers themselves didn’t want their thought processes to override judicial interpretation. That’s why the notes weren’t published until after Madison’s death.

On Amazon, the two negative reviews are silly. One because it’s a complaint about the audio being bad, the other because he doesn’t like that notes were left out (it says right on the cover it’s abridged).

Wendy P.
    There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ron Tarnow's two books; Hamilton, and George Washington, a Life are both must reads for anyone who wants to go digging into the earliest days of our country. Without both of these two founders, America as we know it might well have never existed. Hamilton established the financial foundations of America, starting with addressing and consolidating our national debts that came from the Revolution. Washington navigated our country through the political pitfalls and hazards of the earliest years under our Constitution. He was often vilified as a closet royalist in the press, especially during his second term.
    Both books make clear what a fragile and vulnerable country the U.S. was in those days, something that is not taught in our schools. Washington at the Constitutional convention even took Hamilton aside and told him he didn't think the whole thing could last twenty years.
    By the way, the Washington bio does not shy away in the least from the contradictions of Washington's owning over 200 slaves, or his unrealistic belief that slavery would somehow wither and die of its own accord.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Thanks, Wendy. I'll check it out! As an instructor of diplomats, I will consider whether it should be added to our recommended reading list. Our students are expected to be able to explain and defend the way our system works, so I look forward to taking this book for consideration. :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!