kallend

Where have all the deficit hawks gone?

kelpdiver

Actually there are minor differences between nations:

iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country

You don't see an obvious problem with a source that declares the average African to be mentally retarded?

IQ is supposed to be a measure of innate intelligence, but IQ tests in nearly all forms are really a measure of education, and this listing shows that rather clearly. These values are used to support racist and sexist beliefs; I'm a bit shocked to see you giving it credibility.

I'm open to the likelihood that there are small variations by ethnicity, but not two full standard deviations, or even one.

If you look at the literacy rates by country, that says a lot about why the continent of Africa would be low: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

Of course that also brings up the question of how they would measure IQ among people who can't even read the test.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Actually there are minor differences between nations:

iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country

You don't see an obvious problem with a source that declares the average African to be mentally retarded?

IQ is supposed to be a measure of innate intelligence, but IQ tests in nearly all forms are really a measure of education, and this listing shows that rather clearly. These values are used to support racist and sexist beliefs; I'm a bit shocked to see you giving it credibility.

I'm open to the likelihood that there are small variations by ethnicity, but not two full standard deviations, or even one.

If you look at the literacy rates by country, that says a lot about why the continent of Africa would be low: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

Of course that also brings up the question of how they would measure IQ among people who can't even read the test.

The test to which the site linked was entirely visual, IIRC, though it would undoubtedly have a much less intuitive format to someone who never took a standardized test before.

I took the test to see if it scored me where professionally administered tests have scored me, but at the end, I would have had to enable FB apps to see the results, so I don't know how I did.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>Well, exactly WHERE did the bulk of the tax cuts go?

To the little people who really need them.

Take this poor guy. Marcus Adolfsson, the chief executive of an online publishing company, couldn't afford any decent airplanes. He was looking at having to buy something like a PC-12, which would have been an embarrassment. How would he explain his prop plane to all the other CEO's? Fortunately, because of the new tax law, he was able to buy a used business jet for just under $2 million at the end of December - and managed to deduct every bit of the cost.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tax-change-helps-executives-afford-pricier-planes-1536763868

billvon

Take this poor guy. Marcus Adolfsson, the chief executive of an online publishing company, couldn't afford any decent airplanes. He was looking at having to buy something like a PC-12, which would have been an embarrassment. How would he explain his prop plane to all the other CEO's? Fortunately, because of the new tax law, he was able to buy a used business jet for just under $2 million at the end of December - and managed to deduct every bit of the cost.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tax-change-helps-executives-afford-pricier-planes-1536763868

Are you plane-shaming me for only having a prop plane?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

I've been like-kind exchanging aircraft and aircraft engines for years. That was initially called a Starker exchange, I think, and was a real estate thing until someone blurred the lines a little.

That scheme is no longer available with the new tax law. Instead there is 100% depreciation of any "new to you" business equipment in year one.

Under the old scheme when it was someday and you finally sold something for realsie's you paid ordinary income rates on the entire sales price. On a million dollar airplane that would be around +$400K. Ouch, but it was very fun and profitable along the way. The problem was that you needed to be a real business with real profits to protect and also needed to wait 5-7 years to fully depreciate.

Now you can sell it for a million and buy another for a million and bada bing you are fully protected from the tax consequences.

Next up? I reckon it will be blurring the like-kind lines again, bit by bit, until it makes perfect sense that an airplane is like a yacht or a Lamborghini or maybe even shares in Boeing. They are in the airplane business, too.