billvon

School shooting solutions

wolfriverjoe

been attacked over her clothing, appearance, and what patches she has on her jacket.

There's a meme running around and it said something about taking her serious with a communist flag on her sleeve. The flag was Puerto Rico. :S

No, it was a Cuban flag. Her father was born there.

Snopes

Did you hear, about 5.8 million millennials could not attend the marches last Saturday? Planned Parenthood killed them.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>Did you hear, about 5.8 million millennials could not attend the marches last Saturday?
>Planned Parenthood killed them.

Did you hear about the 80 million millennials that couldn't attend because God killed them? (That's the rate of fertilized eggs - babies, to you - that fail to implant; about 4 million a year in the US.)

No? You didn't? How odd, given that you knew about the other unborn babies that were killed.

wolfriverjoe

been attacked over her clothing, appearance, and what patches she has on her jacket.

There's a meme running around and it said something about taking her serious with a communist flag on her sleeve. The flag was Puerto Rico. :S

Snopes

I stand corrected. Forgive my "quick look" and thinking Puerto Rico and not Cuba. Must be some kind of senile thing to invert the colors. :S;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

I stand corrected. Forgive my "quick look" and thinking Puerto Rico and not Cuba. Must be some kind of senile thing to invert the colors. :S;)

It's all good. She seems to wish to acknowledge her father's heritage (he immigrated in '68, according to the Snopes article).

But...

The 'haters' feel a need to attack her.

Not her position advocating gun control.

Her.
Gotta wonder how many of these attackers have said things about how bad 'bullying' is?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yeah, Joe. I listened to her and read what she said. I don't see where anything she said was any different than some of the things we've discussed here. As for her father coming from Cuba in '68... sounds like he made something of himself.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

RonD1120

Snopes

Did you hear, about 5.8 million millennials could not attend the marches last Saturday? Planned Parenthood killed them.

Your ignorance is breathtaking. No shit, Ron, you need to take a basic biology class (and this time pay attention) or STFU. Have you heard of a Chimera, for example? That's when fraternal twins join to become one embryo. I'll leave it to you eminent theologians to distribute the extra soul when that happens.

Science, Ron, science, not some fools interpretation of an obscure biblical text is what is real. When you scratch your ass you destroy more cells than die when a blastocyst is miscarried. Same as when you wank.

billvon

And your one warning. Attack the idea, not the poster.

Bill,

I respect the warning, will conform, and am thankful for what must be a long list of forbearances to date. But good googaloo, there are times when someone drops a turd in the punchbowl that the required response goes beyond "Oh, my!".

And the latest right wing attack on the Parkland survivors - they are "Hitler youth." Mary Franson, republican state rep from Minnesota, first shared a comment calling David Hogg “Supreme Leader Hogg" - then quoted a passage from Nazi Germany propaganda about "Hitler Youth." (This isn't new for her; in the past she has compared anti-bullying legislation to fascism.)

Especially ironic given that the republicans have an actual Nazi running in Illinois.

They must be terrified of these kids and what they can accomplish.

Hi Bill,

They must be terrified of these kids and what they can accomplish.

That they are.

And the people of Oregon want to accomplish something:

https://www.ceasefireoregon.org/our-plan/

I fully expect this to get the req'd number of signatures to get on the May ballot.

I will be sending them a check later this week.

Jerry Baumchen

Calling them nazis is going too far. However, Hogg appears to have lied. There's an interview where he admitted to being at home during the shooting, rather than at school when it happened. Lots of questions about his background. Poor guy, being used by the media to promote their anti-gun agenda.

Calling them nazis is going too far. However, Hogg appears to have lied. There's an interview where he admitted to being at home during the shooting, rather than at school when it happened.

Cool. I can trace where you got that specific lie, too.

Poor guy, being used by the media to promote their anti-gun agenda.

Given all the lies you've been fed, and eagerly believed - I don't think that Hogg is the one who is being used.

billvon

Calling them nazis is going too far. However, Hogg appears to have lied. There's an interview where he admitted to being at home during the shooting, rather than at school when it happened.

***Poor guy, being used by the media to promote their anti-gun agenda.

Given all the lies you've been fed, and eagerly believed - I don't think that Hogg is the one who is being used.

Its almost a losing cause to compete with the FSB, Fox news, Breitbart, etc. They work 24/7 to supply the uninquisitive with brain numbing drivel. Which the target audience laps up like Pavlov's dogs.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/david-hogg-on-campus-rumor-hoax/

Phil1111

Its almost a losing cause to compete with the FSB, Fox news, Breitbart, etc. They work 24/7 to supply the uninquisitive with brain numbing drivel. Which the target audience laps up like Pavlov's dogs.

Far more that they supply the lies that the targets for their propaganda want to believe. They really aren't 'uninquisitive'. They simply want to believe their version of the story more than they want to hear the truth.

Not unlike some to the religious zealots.

Not surprisingly, many of them fall into both categories.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

billvon

Well, the attacks on these kids are continuing.

Laura Ingraham tweeted that he was "whining" about not being accepted to colleges he's applied to.

Classy.

Fortunately, he didn't simply sit there and take it.

He targeted her. Through her advertisers. You know, the ones who pay for her show.

5 of 12 have either pulled their ads or announced that they won't buy any more airtime on her show.

So, of course, she apologized. After she found out she's losing her ad revenue.

Classy.

Something I think would help would be centralized security stations. Equip schools with secure doors that can be closed and latched remotely. This would be not just for protecting students but isolating the shooter. Ideally you'd have them stuck between secure doors in an empty bit of hallway.
The schools would need video cameras that show all the critical spots with these feeding to a central spot, maybe a room in the closest police building or a standalone but central building. When they see something suspicious on a video camera they can send a signal to the principal to make sure the person approaching the school follows the old rule of going straight to the school office. If not it gets escalated with doors latched and police notified. Part of the lowest level alert could have police cars getting into the vicinity, circling the block but no flashing lights. Then if need be increase as necessary.
But I think the centralized security would help a lot.

Putting a security guard with their own office in every school is expensive and counterproductive. It's expensive so sooner or later corners will get cut. You'll end up with a bunch of retirees who see this as a step up from Walmart and being so many of them supervision will be next to impossible. They'll be in their "secure office" and the sound of gunshots will wake them. In their confused and panicked state who knows who they'll shoot.
By having a centralized system you need far fewer security personnel. They can hire for quality rather than quantity and supervision will be much easier. Or better yet add a room with the equipment to the local police station and man it with police officers.

Phil1111

They know that if their target audience doesn't hear what it wants to hear, and I'm not talking about reality, they'll just turn off the tv or radio and go to the internet to find cites that will never tell them anything that conflicts with their world view.

Bob_Church

Something I think would help would be centralized security stations. Equip schools with secure doors that can be closed and latched remotely. This would be not just for protecting students but isolating the shooter. Ideally you'd have them stuck between secure doors in an empty bit of hallway.
The schools would need video cameras that show all the critical spots with these feeding to a central spot, maybe a room in the closest police building or a standalone but central building...

...Putting a security guard with their own office in every school is expensive and counterproductive...

So putting a guard in every school is 'too expensive', but remote secure doors and cameras isn't?

>So putting a guard in every school is 'too expensive', but remote secure doors and
>cameras isn't?

They'd cost way more to install, but presumably it would be a one time expense. The more expensive part of the premise would be the person to monitor the system and maintain the equipment.

wolfriverjoe

***Something I think would help would be centralized security stations. Equip schools with secure doors that can be closed and latched remotely. This would be not just for protecting students but isolating the shooter. Ideally you'd have them stuck between secure doors in an empty bit of hallway.
The schools would need video cameras that show all the critical spots with these feeding to a central spot, maybe a room in the closest police building or a standalone but central building...

...Putting a security guard with their own office in every school is expensive and counterproductive...

So putting a guard in every school is 'too expensive', but remote secure doors and cameras isn't?

Personally I don't care what we'd have to spend if it would work. But one, I think the centralized security system would work better regardless of cost. The other thing is that we go through times when we see a problem as urgent and lots of people, even the ones in control, are either willing to spend the money to solve it or not willing to admit to the voters that they aren't. So, the money is there. But it won't last. The centralized security systems seems like the hardest one to screw up with budget cuts down the road. The biggest expenditures are now, while people are willing to pay for it.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bob,

Personally I don't care what we'd have to spend if it would work.

Have you ever voted against any school budget?

I have known many, many people who say this must be done or this or whatever; but when it comes to paying for it, they will not vote Yes.

Jerry Baumchen

Absolutely not. The one school levy that we had trouble with was one that exempted us because we were over sixty. That made no sense to us and we let them know (this is a small village, it's easy to voice your opinion to the mayor and she passes it on. We saw no reason why we should be exempted and if we were we shouldn't have a say in it. But no, we don't even mind paying for the schools.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bob,

we don't even mind paying for the schools.

Good for you. And I am happy to pay for schools.

I consider school budgets one of the most important votes that any of us will ever make during our entire lives.

Jerry Baumchen

My wife and I are on fixed incomes. What we can't figure out is why this is supposed to be bad.
Seriously though, neither of us ever had children so we always do whatever we can to help, since we took a pass on the hard parts.

Edit: I think it's time society rethinks the whole "those poor elderly" mentality. We have all the money but get offered discounts. When I was 23 getting married and building my first house I really could have used the discounts I get offered now. One thing though, any waitress that doesn't automatically offer me the discount gets a bigger tip.