Bob_Church

Who's next then

I mean this as a serious question, even if the situation isn't. Probably.

Let's say it all blows up and the government throws Trump and Pence out of Washington and tells the Democrats, "ok, your turn, appoint a President and get on with it."

Who gets the job?

Or maybe a little more realistic, who do the Democrats run in the rapidly approaching Presidential elections. They'll get here sooner than you think. It just seems like forever when the campaigning starts.

Democrats don't have to worry about this, because, frankly, there is a succession plan built into our government. And even if I think Pence might be worse than Trump in some ways, I'm glad there's a settled plan.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Let's say it all blows up and the government throws Trump and Pence out of Washington and tells the Democrats, "ok, your turn, appoint a President and get on with it."

Even this Canadian knows that is not how your US system works. How did you ever dream this scenario up?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

However, we should start to see someone capable and younger looking presidential for 2020. If the Dems run Hillary and Bernie I’ll say rude things.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Top 15 Democratic presidential candidates in 2020
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/311436-top-15-democratic-presidential-candidates-in-2020

Trump in 2018: The year of the mobilized Democrat
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/12/27/trump-in-2018-the-year-of-the-mobilized-democrat/

Record numbers of people are running for office, donations are soaring, political action committees are training volunteers and would-be candidates. And while there was a schism in the Democratic Party, still raw from the presidential primary battle, one man has risen and shown that his leadership alone is powerful enough to unite the Democratic Party.

That is President Donald trump.

Republicans John Kasich

wmw999

However, we should start to see someone capable and younger looking presidential for 2020. If the Dems run Hillary and Bernie I’ll say rude things.

Wendy P.

I'll add Biden and Pelosi to that list although I know Pelosi isn't interested.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

gowlerk

Even this Canadian knows that is not how your US system works. How did you ever dream this scenario up?

Let me break this to you gently. Turing machines have no I/O

DJL

***However, we should start to see someone capable and younger looking presidential for 2020. If the Dems run Hillary and Bernie I’ll say rude things.

Wendy P.

I've heard Pelosi mentioned but the discussion always ends with "but....."
I think we're due for another governor.

DJL

***However, we should start to see someone capable and younger looking presidential for 2020. If the Dems run Hillary and Bernie I’ll say rude things.

Wendy P.

Pelosi? Do it! Please!
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Mentioning Pelosi made me wonder about something. Has the US ever had an 80 year old President. No, I didn't pay attention during history class. I thought maybe Reagan but I think he was still barely 79. And that was leaving. Pelosi would turn 80 a few months after taking office in 2020, provided of course a multi-millionaire Liberal from San Francisco would have a shot at it.

Bob_Church

Mentioning Pelosi made me wonder about something. Has the US ever had an 80 year old President. No, I didn't pay attention during history class. I thought maybe Reagan but I think he was still barely 79. And that was leaving. Pelosi would turn 80 a few months after taking office in 2020, provided of course a multi-millionaire Liberal from San Francisco would have a shot at it.

I'd welcome Pelosi running. It pretty much guarantees another four years with Trump or his Republican replacement. Though I'd like to see somebody younger on the Republican ticket if Trump feels like he's a one term and done.

airdvr

******However, we should start to see someone capable and younger looking presidential for 2020. If the Dems run Hillary and Bernie I’ll say rude things.

Wendy P.

Pelosi? Do it! Please!

I'm not sure if you're saying to put her on the list of people not to run or put her on the list of people TO run. I'm guessing the latter because she's be another Clinton candidacy where she loses and brings down the entire party. I'm not a fan of her. Under her the Democratic party has stagnated in lameness.

Edit: Ha! Looks like nolhtairt agrees. I don't think you guys understand how many Democrats don't like her either. She encompasses all the spinelessness that I used to hate in the D party, people afraid to make moves, have stances because they were afraid of offending people.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher