Bob_Church

Another Memorial Day disaster

All this talk about Trump reminded me of another Memorial Day disaster. It was a few years back but 'The Sizzlin' Steak House' in Parkersburg Wv announced a free meal for veterans and their families. By the way, one of the hardest things I've found to explain to non-English speakers is deliberate misspellings like this. I had a friend from Beirut. It drove him nuts and that's saying a lot considering where and when he grew up.
But, back to the Pburg one. SSH is one of those all you can eat type restaurants. It's like unlimited minutes but with a fork. So once you get in there there's no big hurry to leave. Neil decided to take Joy and the kids but when traffic stopped, flat out stopped, while still a mile away they thought something might be wrong.It wasn't wrong exactly, no terrorist attack or gas leak, just lines of people clear down the sidewalk waiting to get in with a mile or more of cars from both directions trying to get close enough to stand in line. Or anywhere since the SSH sits at the border of Vienna and Pburg and nobody was going anywhere. According to Neil you'd have thought it was the last choppers leaving Saigon. Vienna is what used to be called a small bedroom community just outside of Parkersburg but first they built the Grand Central Mall and then every other retailer and restaurant in the known galaxy moved out there so there is a constant stream of heavy traffic between them and Parkersburg, but not that day. Nobody was going anywhere. Neil is stubborn, especially when it comes to a free meal but there are limits so they decided to drive on past the place and eat at the big Chinese place in Vienna Wv. Sure, just have your cargo type helicopter pick your car up. You can wave at the endless lines of cars below and the sea of people stubbornly waiting for their turn at the Hot Bar. Well, turn around. Nope, walled in. It was a long hungry afternoon while they waited hours to just drive away. It was a very memorable Memorial day.

jclalor

Inappropriate to offer a meal on Memorial Day, that’s more of a Veterans Day type of thing.

Only zombies need apply. Feed them free politician brains. If there is such a thing.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jclalor

Inappropriate to offer a meal on Memorial Day, that’s more of a Veterans Day type of thing.

You know what, I'm pretty sure I remembered wrong and it was Veteran's Day. Sorry about that. I'll ask Neil next time I see him but now I'm pretty certain that it wasn't Memorial Day but Veterans'.

The rest though, was the biggest mess Pburg had seen in a long time.