gowlerk

Doug Ford Thread

Canada's largest province just elected Doug Ford, brother of the late Toronto mayor and Canada's answer to The Mango Mussolini as premier. He is sure to provide oodles of entertainment. Just last week his brother's widow launched a lawsuit claiming he embezzeled a large part of Doug's estate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-election-vote-ford-horwath-wynne-pc-ndp-liberal-green-1.4696736
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

nolhtairt

What's up with that? Wasn't there any other viable candidates? Should be fun to watch nonetheless.

You didn't think Trump's supporters were the world's only morons, did you? Other countries have citizens who are just as mind-numbingly dumb.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

nolhtairt

What's up with that? Wasn't there any other viable candidates? Should be fun to watch nonetheless.

First, he got the leadership position of the conservative Party. Then he won an election with 40.3 % support. In a parliamentary system with a left party, a centre left party and a right party.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

nolhtairt

No, there really weren't.

I am a member of both the provincial and federal conservative party. I absolutely abhorred the "election" of Ford as the leader of the party. It normally would have caused me to vote for a different party.

However, voting for the Liberals was not an option this go around. if nothing else they had to be removed from power.

The NDP is too far left for me to take seriously as a candidate for my vote.

It was quite the conundrum.

I absolutely abhorred the "election" of Ford as the leader of the party.

Of course, an advantage of the parliamentary system is that the party can elect a new leader, who would become Premier, should Ford prove too damaging.

What I really disliked about the campaign was the way the PC platform promised all these cuts to taxes and Hydro (electricity rates, for non-Canadians who may be wondering) without saying how anything would be paid for. I can't imagine people really want a 20-30% cut in the number of teachers, but that's what they will likely get to pay for the promised tax cuts. Same for universities, and every other government service. A tax cut might not taste so sweet when your kid suddenly finds they are in classes with 40 or 50 other kids, and when they graduate and try to go to university there is no room for them, or the major they wanted isn't offered any more. That tax cut might taste downright bitter when you have some medical emergency and find 20 or 30% of the hospitals have been closed .

Don

GeorgiaDon

I absolutely abhorred the "election" of Ford as the leader of the party.

Of course, an advantage of the parliamentary system is that the party can elect a new leader, who would become Premier, should Ford prove too damaging.

What I really disliked about the campaign was the way the PC platform promised all these cuts to taxes and Hydro (electricity rates, for non-Canadians who may be wondering) without saying how anything would be paid for. I can't imagine people really want a 20-30% cut in the number of teachers, but that's what they will likely get to pay for the promised tax cuts. Same for universities, and every other government service. A tax cut might not taste so sweet when your kid suddenly finds they are in classes with 40 or 50 other kids, and when they graduate and try to go to university there is no room for them, or the major they wanted isn't offered any more. That tax cut might taste downright bitter when you have some medical emergency and find 20 or 30% of the hospitals have been closed .

Don

They could elect a new leader, though in practice it rarely happens. On top of that, the process is rather "shady".

I agree, the platforms of all three parties were a joke.

The Liberal platform was really just bread and circuses. They were giving everything to everybody and ramping up debt to do it.

The Conservative platform is 2 pages of idiotic promises. $1 a beer. Cut this, cut that, no plan on where it is coming.

NDP platform is take money from rich and give to poor. It also had a $1.5 billion "oopsie".

The whole election was an embarrassment, I think reflected in the low voter turnout.

I think the technical term is: Shit Show.

SkyDekker

NDP platform is take money from rich and give to poor. It also had a $1.5 billion "oopsie".

Ah, so it is the inverse of our GOP, but with just 1/10 of the "oopsie".:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.