rushmc

hopefully, this is just the beginning of shutting down liberal college bias jackasses!

Iago

Are the U of M grads going to call the BRT to Batman out when their manager gives them their first performance review and they get marked "mediocre?". Quick Robin, to the BRTmobile!

Don't know if you've seen this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8XkJNaHbs
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

What it comes down to I guess is that I just can't adjust to the idea of university student's protesting against free speech instead of for it. It is a major change, and I don't think anyone can deny that. I remember soon after I'd started working at OU mentioning that I was going to Skokie Illinois (I was going to Paragear while I was visiting in Chicago, something I try to do regularly) and it drew blank looks? "Skokie, ok? What about it?" I tried to explain the ACLU's actions defending the neo-nazi's march and I'm not sure they believed me.
I'm just not good at adjusting.

The pendulum swings weird sometimes. But sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between giving the one in power the right to say anything (which he generally has anyway), and giving the powerless the right to say anything (which the one in power generally determines. We’re just in a power transition right now, and it’s not complete, and it’s messy, between the people who can’t believe they’re not the always-final determinants of OK and not-OK to say, and the ones who can’t believe they’re on top yet.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It'll take some straightening out. It will be interesting, if I'm still around long enough, to see what the next generation of students wants. The only thing certain is that it will be something different, and I don't mean that in a negative way.
In the meantime pretty much any university administration can look at the bright side by reminding themselves that they're not Evergreen College in Olympia.
As I typed that I heard a great voice cry out in the ether, the voice of a million higher education administrators shuddering.

Bob_Church

The only thing certain is that it will be something different, and I don't mean that in a negative way.
In the meantime pretty much any university administration can look at the bright side by reminding themselves that they're not Evergreen College in Olympia.

Because of what happened when the closeted alt-right professor outed himself as such?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Anyone interested in what actually happened at Evergreen should do a search on Bret Weinstein (no, no relation to THAT weinstein)

Here are a couple of good starts. The first one may be a little confusing because it was written before he resigned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/opinion/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own.html

"Bret Weinstein is a biology professor at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash., who supported Bernie Sanders, admiringly retweets Glenn Greenwald and was an outspoken supporter of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

You could be forgiven for thinking that Mr. Weinstein, who identifies himself as “deeply progressive,” is just the kind of teacher that students at one of the most left-wing colleges in the country would admire. Instead, he has become a victim of an increasingly widespread campaign by leftist students against anyone who dares challenge ideological orthodoxy on campus.

This professor’s crime? He had the gall to challenge a day of racial segregation."

His resignation is explained in

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/evergreen-professor-at-center-of-protests-resigns-college-will-pay-500000/