chutem

Blind Spot

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2015/june/bias-blind-spot.html

I found this piece interesting while looking at ways that I myself might be affected by bias. It appears the more we think we are not biased the more biased we may be. (based on their research)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational

This article presents 12 cognitive biases that prevent us from being rational.

My challenge to the group is to identify one or more of the biases that you yourself are affected by without pointing out other poster's bias.

For myself, I am affected by Neglecting probability as it relates to firearms in the home and CCW.

I'm also interested in your thoughts on the first article.

I can easily claim confirmation and in-group bias.

Because of my life experiences I prefer to be with my own kind. Those of my tribe are easier to communicate with, to seek help from, to offer help to, and generally more enjoyable people.

We have a good time and are willing to share the good things in life. We do not try to get one up on others. We do not like battles of wit unless the rules are clearly defined.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I question myself constantly to see if I'm falling into one of them. But I'm sure that the more stressed I am, the more likely I am to fall into one of them. The older I get, the more I'm comfortable with the status quo, but because of how I was raised (multiple moves, multiple countries, multiple types of schools,etc), I'm way more tolerant of change than most people are as far as I can tell.

I probably spend too much time analyzing to see if I'm biasing my thinking, and not enough time thinking. I do know that in-group bias happens, but it's fairly situational. Current moment bias -- that's what drives snacking :ph34r:

There's no way I'm bias-free, but I hope that by considering these actively as a framework, I am at least aware of their effects. Sometimes. Maybe.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I admit to being biased against pathological liars, sexual predators, con-men and narcissists.

There's a very well qualified target for all these traits living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

chutem

Thanks for participating. :)
I'm hoping for answers that are at least a little more introspective than that.

Hey, I think it quite rational to be to biased against pathological liars, sexual predators, con-men and narcissists, and on introspection I find that I am.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.