rushmc

Do you have the ability to distinguish a factual statement from an opinion statement?

Pew did a survey on that a while back. I'm posting a link with a 10-question quiz that you can take to see how well you can distinguish fact from opinion statements. Just to let you know up front I got all 10 correct.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/news-statements-quiz/

Please let us all know how you all do.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

AndyBoyd

All 10 correct. What's the point of this?

Maybe an eye-opener for some and levity for the rest of us!
Abraham Lincoln

jcd11235

***All 10 correct. What's the point of this?

I don't think he realizes how ridiculously easy that test was.

Here is one that's a bit more challenging.

, so that test is so easy, as you say, why are those of us who got both right only with 25% of the population in this country?
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

, so that test is so easy, as you say, why are those of us who got both right only with 25% of the population in this country?

One hypothesis would be that at least 75 percent of Americans are dumber than a box of rocks.

Another possible explanation is that many people rushed through, without reading carefully, and missed some.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Yet another explanation is that the survey was only a half step above click bait. Those percentages include demographics that you don't have to fill out when taking the survey. Probably an indicator....

There are 30 reasons why click bait is garbage, number 17 will shock you.

rushmc

Pew did a survey on that a while back. I'm posting a link with a 10-question quiz that you can take to see how well you can distinguish fact from opinion statements. Just to let you know up front I got all 10 correct.

I've noticed that with the current immigration debate (to put it mildly) a lot of stuff is going straight from "the person said this is what's happening" to "this is what is happening."

GoHuskers

Yet another explanation is that the survey was only a half step above click bait. Those percentages include demographics that you don't have to fill out when taking the survey. Probably an indicator....

To be fair, Pew Research Center are legitimate and credible.

Bob_Church

***Pew did a survey on that a while back. I'm posting a link with a 10-question quiz that you can take to see how well you can distinguish fact from opinion statements. Just to let you know up front I got all 10 correct.

I've noticed that with the current immigration debate (to put it mildly) a lot of stuff is going straight from "the person said this is what's happening" to "this is what is happening."

Yes with the majority of those people being NBC CBS ABC MSNBC CNN in the other main steam Lane Media
Abraham Lincoln

jcd11235

***All 10 correct. What's the point of this?

I don't think he realizes how ridiculously easy that test was.

Here is one that's a bit more challenging.

WOW!

I scored 15 out of 23 correct, three were don't know.

I was expecting a zero.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

That test, while interesting, is very misleading. It uses common terms like "dogs", "mammals", etc. and you are supposed to ignore that you know mammals are animals. The A, B, C portion was more fair.

- Dan G

rushmc

so that test is so easy, as you say, why are those of us who got both right only with 25% of the population in this country?

Do you think that because you got the test right that you always get it right in real life?

I’m reminded of an article I read on the Bedford Gulfstream crash (a fatal accident caused by gross airmanship failures) that pointed out the crew were both recently recertified on type. They knew perfectly well how to follow correct procedure, but they only switched that part of their brains on when they knew they were being tested. Kinda like the VW diesel emissions scandal.

So just because you passed this test (which doesn’t even look at ability to rate the reliability and veracity of purported factual statements), don’t think that’s a guarantee that your brain isn’t churning out giant clouds of smog when you’re out reading Breitbart, Infowars, Fox opinion pieces and wherever else you get your ‘facts’ from.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

DanG

That test, while interesting, is very misleading. It uses common terms like "dogs", "mammals", etc. and you are supposed to ignore that you know mammals are animals. The A, B, C portion was more fair.

That's the point. If you're not given that all mammals are animals, you cannot assume it. It's tricky on purpose, in order to catch people in a common logical error.

I understand, after taking the test and looking at their answers, that they were intentionally making it confusing by using common terms. It would have been fairer, and a better lesson, if they had stated that up front.

- Dan G

jcd11235

***That test, while interesting, is very misleading. It uses common terms like "dogs", "mammals", etc. and you are supposed to ignore that you know mammals are animals. The A, B, C portion was more fair.

That's the point. If you're not given that all mammals are animals, you cannot assume it. It's tricky on purpose, in order to catch people in a common logical error.

So it is, in essence, a test aimed at the "poorly educated" folk
that Trump loves.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

that Trump loves.

Not deliberately. It's a legitimate test of logical thinking, not click bait, with no ads or sales pitches.

Interesting that when you scroll down it looks like both Republicans and Democrats get it wrong on questions for which their party line favors it being fact vs opinion.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

kallend

******That test, while interesting, is very misleading. It uses common terms like "dogs", "mammals", etc. and you are supposed to ignore that you know mammals are animals. The A, B, C portion was more fair.

that Trump loves.

Welcome to America John. Your profession has done it's job so badly that you boast of it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

*********That test, while interesting, is very misleading. It uses common terms like "dogs", "mammals", etc. and you are supposed to ignore that you know mammals are animals. The A, B, C portion was more fair.

that Trump loves.

Welcome to America John. Your profession has done it's job so badly that you boast of it.

My profession prepares the future engineers of the USA. I'm sorry that you think US engineers are such a poor lot. It's amazing Apollo ever got to the Moon, or Galileo probe to Jupiter, and that one of our own alums invented the cell phone.

On the other hand...

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

airdvr

It's the professionals' fault, is it?*

When the Islamist insurgencies were winning back territory in Afghanistan in the mid to late 2000's was it because the US and Coalition soldiers on the ground were incompetent?

* Leaving aside that he works for a University, and therefore has nothing to do with the schools system.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***Welcome to America John. Your profession has done it's job so badly that you boast of it.

It's the professionals' fault, is it?*

When the Islamist insurgencies were winning back territory in Afghanistan in the mid to late 2000's was it because the US and Coalition soldiers on the ground were incompetent?

* Leaving aside that he works for a University, and therefore has nothing to do with the schools system.

Absolutely not...more than likely a problem with the folks who pull the strings.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne