Hooknswoop

Trump Supporters

I agree. I had a lot of these discussions with longtime friends in Texas. We can talk politics and disagree easily. I till too much wine is consumed, then it gets more vehement.

Connecting with feelings matters.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hooknswoop

It's interesting that so few Trump supporters have posted. It's almost as if they are ashamed that they support him.

Or they don't want to be attacked and have to defend why they support him.

There are smart people that support him, I would like to understand why. I thought I could gain some insight with this thread, purposefully thanking anyone who would share to encourage more people to share.
I tried to stop debates into their reasoning so that more people would share. I failed.

Derek V

I know several actual Trump supporters. Not people who consider Trump the lesser of two evils but actually like him as President. I admit that I don't understand them, and believe me, they've tried to explain. But what I do know is that they're absolutely nothing like they're portrayed. Some of the smartest and best educated people I know are full tilt Trump supporters. One thing I've noticed about most people who describe Trump supporters is that it becomes very obvious very quickly that they're talking out of their ass.

If all of President Trump's supporters were not smart, it would be easy to dismiss them. They are not.

No it wouldn't. Not smart people sometimes have smart reasoning.

Seeking understanding is indeed laudable. In my case, I have now seen so many Trump supporters be completely opposed to facts that reasoning really doesn't matter anymore.

I'll give you an example. I know a strong and proud Trump supporter who often posts clearly photoshopped pictures as "evidence" she bases her opinions on. This person will never admit a picture is fake. At that point any reasoning doesn't matter anymore.

Below are the 12 categories and 81 wins cited by the White House. My personal reasons are below.

Jobs and the economy

Passage of the tax reform bill providing $5.5 billion in cuts and repealing the Obamacare mandate.
Increase of the GDP above 3 percent.
Creation of 1.7 million new jobs, cutting unemployment to 4.1 percent.
Saw the Dow Jones reach record highs.
A rebound in economic confidence to a 17-year high.
A new executive order to boost apprenticeships.
A move to boost computer sciences in Education Department programs.
Prioritizing women-owned businesses for some $500 million in SBA loans.

Killing job-stifling regulations

Signed an Executive Order demanding that two regulations be killed for every new one creates. He beat that big and cut 16 rules and regulations for every one created, saving $8.1 billion.
Signed 15 congressional regulatory cuts.
Withdrew from the Obama-era Paris Climate Agreement, ending the threat of environmental regulations.
Signed an Executive Order cutting the time for infrastructure permit approvals.
Eliminated an Obama rule on streams that Trump felt unfairly targeted the coal industry.

Fair trade

Made good on his campaign promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Opened up the North American Free Trade Agreement for talks to better the deal for the U.S.
Worked to bring companies back to the U.S., and companies like Toyota, Mazda, Broadcom Limited, and Foxconn announced plans to open U.S. plants.
Worked to promote the sale of U.S products abroad.
Made enforcement of U.S. trade laws, especially those that involve national security, a priority.
Ended Obama’s deal with Cuba.

Boosting U.S. energy dominance

The Department of Interior, which has led the way in cutting regulations, opened plans to lease 77 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling.
Trump traveled the world to promote the sale and use of U.S. energy.
Expanded energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL Pipeline snubbed by Obama.
Ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to kill Obama’s Clean Power Plan.
EPA is reconsidering Obama rules on methane emissions.

Protecting the U.S.

Laid out new principles for reforming immigration and announced plan to end "chain migration," which lets one legal immigrant to bring in dozens of family members.
Made progress to build the border wall with Mexico.
Ended the Obama-era “catch and release” of illegal immigrants.
Boosted the arrests of illegals inside the U.S.
Doubled the number of counties participating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement charged with deporting illegals.
Removed 36 percent more criminal gang members than in fiscal 2016.
Started the end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival program.
Ditto for other amnesty programs like Deferred Action for Parents of Americans.
Cracking down on some 300 sanctuary cities that defy ICE but still get federal dollars.
Added some 100 new immigration judges.

Protecting communities

Justice announced grants of $98 million to fund 802 new cops.
Justice worked with Central American nations to arrest and charge 4,000 MS-13 members.
Homeland rounded up nearly 800 MS-13 members, an 83 percent one-year increase.
Signed three executive orders aimed at cracking down on international criminal organizations.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions created new National Public Safety Partnership, a cooperative initiative with cities to reduce violent crimes.

Accountability

Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
Ordered ethical standards including a lobbying ban.
Called for a comprehensive plan to reorganize the executive branch.
Ordered an overhaul to modernize the digital government.
Called for a full audit of the Pentagon and its spending.

Combating Opioids

First, the president declared a Nationwide Public Health Emergency on opioids.
His Council of Economic Advisors played a role in determining that overdoses are underreported by as much as 24 percent.
The Department of Health and Human Services laid out a new five-point strategy to fight the crisis.
Justice announced it was scheduling fentanyl substances as a drug class under the Controlled Substances Act.
Justice started a fraud crackdown, arresting more than 400.
The administration added $500 million to fight the crisis.
On National Drug Take Back Day, the Drug Enforcement Agency collected 456 tons.

Protecting life

In his first week, Trump reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy that blocks some $9 billion in foreign aid being used for abortions.
Worked with Congress on a bill overturning an Obama regulation that blocked states from defunding abortion providers.
Published guidance to block Obamacare money from supporting abortion.

Helping veterans

Signed the Veterans Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act to allow senior officials in the Department of Veterans Affairs to fire failing employees and establish safeguards to protect whistleblowers.
Signed the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act.
Signed the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, to provide support.
Signed the VA Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 to authorize $2.1 billion in additional funds for the Veterans Choice Program.
Created a VA hotline.
Had the VA launch an online “Access and Quality Tool,” providing veterans with a way to access wait time and quality of care data.
With VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin, announced three initiatives to expand access to healthcare for veterans using telehealth technology.

Promoting peace through strength

Directed the rebuilding of the military and ordered a new national strategy and nuclear posture review.
Worked to increase defense spending.
Empowered military leaders to “seize the initiative and win,” reducing the need for a White House sign off on every mission.
Directed the revival of the National Space Council to develop space war strategies.
Elevated U.S. Cyber Command into a major warfighting command.
Withdrew from the U.N. Global Compact on Migration, which Trump saw as a threat to borders.
Imposed a travel ban on nations that lack border and anti-terrorism security.
Saw ISIS lose virtually all of its territory.
Pushed for strong action against global outlaw North Korea and its development of nuclear weapons.
Announced a new Afghanistan strategy that strengthens support for U.S. forces at war with terrorism.
NATO increased support for the war in Afghanistan.
Approved a new Iran strategy plan focused on neutralizing the country’s influence in the region.
Ordered missile strikes against a Syrian airbase used in a chemical weapons attack.
Prevented subsequent chemical attacks by announcing a plan to detect them better and warned of future strikes if they were used.
Ordered new sanctions on the dictatorship in Venezuela.

Restoring confidence in and respect for America

Trump won the release of Americans held abroad, often using his personal relationships with world leaders.
Made good on a campaign promise to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Conducted a historic 12-day trip through Asia, winning new cooperative deals. On the trip, he attended three regional summits to promote American interests.
He traveled to the Middle East and Europe to build new relationships with leaders.
Traveled to Poland and on to Germany for the G-20 meeting where he pushed again for funding of women entrepreneurs.

PERSONAL REASONS

I like his negotiation style.
I like that he will re-focus the Democrats - because if they don't; they will fade into the sunset.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Below are the 12 categories and 81 wins cited by the White House. My personal reasons are below.

Jobs and the economy

Passage of the tax reform bill providing $5.5 billion in cuts and repealing the Obamacare mandate.

Signed an Executive Order demanding that two regulations be killed for every new one creates. He beat that big and cut 16 rules and regulations for every one created, saving $8.1 billion.
Withdrew from the Obama-era Paris Climate Agreement, ending the threat of environmental regulations.
Eliminated an Obama rule on streams that Trump felt unfairly targeted the coal industry.

Fair trade

Made good on his campaign promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Opened up the North American Free Trade Agreement for talks to better the deal for the U.S.
Worked to bring companies back to the U.S., and companies like Toyota, Mazda, Broadcom Limited, and Foxconn announced plans to open U.S. plants.
Made enforcement of U.S. trade laws, especially those that involve national security, a priority.

The Department of Interior, which has led the way in cutting regulations, opened plans to lease 77 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling.
Expanded energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL Pipeline snubbed by Obama.

Protecting the U.S.

Laid out new principles for reforming immigration and announced plan to end "chain migration," which lets one legal immigrant to bring in dozens of family members.
Doubled the number of counties participating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement charged with deporting illegals.
Cracking down on some 300 sanctuary cities that defy ICE but still get federal dollars.

Protecting communities

Justice worked with Central American nations to arrest and charge 4,000 MS-13 members.
Signed three executive orders aimed at cracking down on international criminal organizations.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions created new National Public Safety Partnership, a cooperative initiative with cities to reduce violent crimes.

Accountability

Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Combating Opioids

His Council of Economic Advisors played a role in determining that overdoses are underreported by as much as 24 percent.
The Department of Health and Human Services laid out a new five-point strategy to fight the crisis.
Justice announced it was scheduling fentanyl substances as a drug class under the Controlled Substances Act.

Protecting life

In his first week, Trump reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy that blocks some $9 billion in foreign aid being used for abortions.
Worked with Congress on a bill overturning an Obama regulation that blocked states from defunding abortion providers.

Helping veterans

Signed the Veterans Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act to allow senior officials in the Department of Veterans Affairs to fire failing employees and establish safeguards to protect whistleblowers.
Signed the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, to provide support.
Signed the VA Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 to authorize $2.1 billion in additional funds for the Veterans Choice Program.
Created a VA hotline.
Had the VA launch an online “Access and Quality Tool,” providing veterans with a way to access wait time and quality of care data.
With VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin, announced three initiatives to expand access to healthcare for veterans using telehealth technology.

Directed the rebuilding of the military and ordered a new national strategy and nuclear posture review.
Empowered military leaders to “seize the initiative and win,” reducing the need for a White House sign off on every mission.
Directed the revival of the National Space Council to develop space war strategies.
Withdrew from the U.N. Global Compact on Migration, which Trump saw as a threat to borders.
Pushed for strong action against global outlaw North Korea and its development of nuclear weapons.
Announced a new Afghanistan strategy that strengthens support for U.S. forces at war with terrorism.
Approved a new Iran strategy plan focused on neutralizing the country’s influence in the region.
Ordered missile strikes against a Syrian airbase used in a chemical weapons attack.
Prevented subsequent chemical attacks by announcing a plan to detect them better and warned of future strikes if they were used.

Trump won the release of Americans held abroad, often using his personal relationships with world leaders.
Made good on a campaign promise to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Conducted a historic 12-day trip through Asia, winning new cooperative deals. On the trip, he attended three regional summits to promote American interests.
He traveled to the Middle East and Europe to build new relationships with leaders.
Traveled to Poland and on to Germany for the G-20 meeting where he pushed again for funding of women entrepreneurs.

PERSONAL REASONS

I like that he will re-focus the Democrats - because if they don't; they will fade into the sunset.

+1
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Annual increase of GDP since inauguration is 2.3%.

The Paris Climate Agreement didn't have any mandatory regulations.

I won't go through the rest of the list. The real trumpians couldn't be bothered by facts anyways.

BIGUN

Jobs and the economy

Fair trade

Protecting the U.S.

Protecting communities

Accountability

Combating Opioids

Protecting life

Helping veterans

Created a VA hotline.

PERSONAL REASONS

"Life expectancy in the U.S. dropped for the second year in a row, according to the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics.

The new average life expectancy for Americans is 78.7 years, which puts the U.S. behind other developed nations and 1.5 years lower than the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) average life expectancy of 80.3. The OECD is a group of developed countries that includes Canada, Germany, Mexico, France, Japan, and the U.K."
http://fortune.com/2018/02/09/us-life-expectancy-dropped-again/

Unemployment rate for US dropped .8% over the first 11/2 years of all of trumps collective actions.
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

Overall unweighted US wage growth has slowed .3% to 3.2% (same 11/2 year period).

GDP growth 2% A full 4% less than trump forecast.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4810077;page=95;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/06/trump-defies-data-with-6-percent-gdp-growth-forecast.html

CBO projects grim budget outlook under Trump
"To keep the debt burden at its current level, Congress would have to cut spending or increase revenues by a combined 1.9 percent of GDP every year. ...

In 2019 alone, that would amount to a tax increase that would add $1,300 in taxes for people in the middle of the tax distribution, or, alternatively, a Social Security cut that would reduce payments by $1,800 for people in the middle of the lifetime earnings distribution."
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/394142-interest-payments-to-exceed-social-security-cost-by-2048-cbo

Rising debt, slowing wage growth, rising mortality rates, slowing economy at 1/3 the forecast growth rate. MAGA trump style.

Meanwhile:
"U.S. companies are carrying about $4 trillion in debt that needs to be refinanced over the next five years, according to a new analysis from Wells Fargo Securities. That’s about two-thirds of all outstanding corporate debt, and some analysts are worried about what could happen to businesses if interest rates keep rising over that period.

Corporate America partied like never before on cheap money over the past decade, and now comes the hangover,
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/4-trillion-debt-coming-due-211424604.html

Consumer debt is set to reach $4 trillion by the end of 2018
Up from $1 trillion in 1995
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/21/consumer-debt-is-set-to-reach-4-trillion-by-the-end-of-2018.html

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

PERSONAL REASONS

His negotiation style.
Because of all the fucks he does not give. Seriously. [gowlerk]
He will re-focus the Democrats - because if they don't; they will fade into the sunset.
Never seen a President SO under attack by the media - and yet, he gives a dismissive wave and continues to carry on with his agenda.
Part 2 of the media - They're going to fuck around and attack him so much that they're going engage in some kind of rebound effect and put him in for a second term.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

We were spending $9 billion a year on foreign abortions?

No, we were spending $9 billion on humanitarian aid to a lot of countries (mainly Africa). The policy in place doesn't allow any NGO to get funded from the $9 billion dollars if they advocate abortions.

The Mexico City Policy was enacted in 1973. The policy has been rescinded by every Democratic president since, and then reinstated by every republican president.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

BIGUN

PERSONAL REASONS

His negotiation style.
Because of all the fucks he does not give. Seriously. [gowlerk]
He will re-focus the Democrats - because if they don't; they will fade into the sunset.

Politics and life is about compromise. Some honesty and integrity goes along with that. trump is a loser in all those respects. The backstabbing and leaks within the WH show that.

This week the only bank in the US left that would lend to trump failed a US FED stress test:
"WASHINGTON/NEW YORK, June 28 (Reuters) - Deutsche Bank AG’s U.S. subsidiary failed on Thursday the second part of the U.S. Federal Reserve’s annual stress tests due to “widespread and critical deficiencies” in the bank’s capital planning controls.

The Fed board’s unanimous objection to Deutsche Bank’s U.S. capital plan marks another blow for the German lender, sending its shares down 1 percent after hours. Its financial health globally has been under intense scrutiny after S&P cut its rating and questioned its plan to return to profitability. "
https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-fed-stresstests/update-2-deutsche-bank-fails-fed-stress-test-while-3-us-lenders-stumble-idUSL1N1TU21A

Mysterious triangle: Donald Trump, Deutsche Bank and the Kremlin 'cookie jars'
https://www.smh.com.au/world/mysterious-triangle-donald-trump-deutsche-bank-and-the-kremlin-cookie-jars-20171219-h07afc.html

"Trump's outrageous behaviour vis-a-vis Deutsche Bank might have been anticipated. He was, after all, someone who had been through a slew of corporate bankruptcies. His Taj Mahal casino, his other casinos in Atlantic City, his Plaza Hotel in NYC all filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in the early 1990s.

After those failures, US banks that had previously advanced the capital to Trump for building projects, believing them to be sound investments, stopped lending. Chase Manhattan, Citibank, and other burned Wall Street houses declined further credit and refused his calls....

According to an analysis by Bloomberg, by the time he became the 45th president, Trump owed Deutsche Bank around $US300 million. ...

During the same period Deutsche was doing something abnormal - something that would provoke the interest of regulators, and in turn lead to punishment. The bank was laundering money. Russian money. Not small amounts but many billions of dollars. This dubious tide flowed from Moscow to London, and from London to New York."

Donald Trump’s debt to Deutsche Bank

Deutsche faces various legal proceedings in the US, including an investigation by the Department of Justice into a Russian money-laundering scheme for which the bank paid about $600m of fines to other regulators in January. It is also facing a probe by the DoJ into whether Deutsche’s traders, and those of other banks, manipulated the prices of US Treasuries.
https://www.ft.com/content/8c6d9dca-882c-11e7-bf50-e1c239b45787

trump can't even get phone calls returned by most major US banks. The one bank that does lend to him is convicted of Russian money laundering and is under investigation for other crimes. Now its the sole US bank that failed the FED stress test.

For the OP of this thread:
trump enjoys a VERY substantial part of his current support because of the current US economy. Unemployment is at historic lows and the stock market historic highs. As president he gets credit for that. The recovery in jobs, wage growth and the markets was well underway during the last two years of Obama's government.

The problem is debt, rising rates and the end of the economic cycle. Soon all the federal stimulus in the world won't be there to help trump and his supporters.

Sure, going through life telling everyone to go Fu*k themselves is going to be successful.

Keep telling yourself that.

DanG

Do you feel Trump's attacks on the media are one of the reasons you support him?

You know, Dan. I think its more a matter of the media attacks on him.

I know we are not “allowed” to debate in this thread, but I see Trump’s attacks on the media as extremely dangerous. He attacks respected outlets for reporting negative facts. That’s some tin hat dictator shit.

- Dan G

BIGUN

***Do you feel Trump's attacks on the media are one of the reasons you support him?

You know, Dan. I think its more a matter of the media attacks on him.

What about Republicans asking for violence against journalists. Is that part of attacks on the media?

How about people leaving Fox because they are turning into a propaganda machine for Trump?

How about Alex Jones inciting violence against a pizza place?

How about Sean Hannity spreading lie after lie?

All of that gets waved away, as if it is equal to the NYT making a mistake and publishing a correction.

Every step is a little worse, every step a little further. None enough to really get outraged about.

DanG

I know we are not “allowed” to debate in this thread, but I see Trump’s attacks on the media as extremely dangerous. He attacks respected outlets for reporting negative facts. That’s some tin hat dictator shit.

What I see as dangerous is a media who constantly lies and slants it's "news" to push an agenda!!
It ( the main stream media) has been going on for decades.

The only way to counter that shit is call them out on it.
This is one of the main reasons I like Trump!

I do NOT see that as dangerous but I see it as NESSESARY!
Abraham Lincoln

What I am enjoying the most is the now limited affect the main stream media and supporters of said media like you, are having on the people who are paying attention.

In the heart of the media’s hoax-narrative about President Trump’s separation of illegal alien families at the border, Trump’s approval ratings with Hispanics jumped ten points, according to the latest Harvard CAPS/Harris poll.

Abraham Lincoln

Just found another one for you!

More than two-thirds of Americans, a full 72 percent, believe “traditional news outlets knowingly report false or misleading stories,” according to a Axios/SurveyMonkey poll.

A full 92 percent of Republicans believe the media intentionally mislead the public. Independents are not far behind, with 79 percent. Even a majority of Democrats, 52 percent, agree, with only 46 percent disagreeing.

https://www.axios.com/trump-effect-92-percent-republicans-media-fake-news-9c1bbf70-0054-41dd-b506-0869bb10f08c.html

Figuratively speaking, the media needs attacked (your words) or called out! (my words)
Abraham Lincoln

What I got from that is: the so called main stream media is all lies, but guys like Sean Hannity and networks like Fox News are all truth.

You guys are getting gaslighted. Facts simply have no effect, it is all about the feels. That attitude isn't going to end well.

The Dictator of North Korea, the leader of Russia, the murderer in charge of the Philippines all honourable, upstanding people. But, the press, they are the enemy of the people.

NRA puts out videos telling the NYT they are coming for them.
Milo puts out comments that journalists need to be killed.

All behaviour that is applauded by Republicans.

SkyDekker

What I got from that is: the so called main stream media is all lies, but guys like Sean Hannity and networks like Fox News are all truth.

You guys are getting gaslighted. Facts simply have no effect, it is all about the feels. That attitude isn't going to end well.

The Dictator of North Korea, the leader of Russia, the murderer in charge of the Philippines all honourable, upstanding people. But, the press, they are the enemy of the people.

NRA puts out videos telling the NYT they are coming for them.
Milo puts out comments that journalists need to be killed.

All behaviour that is applauded by Republicans.

I knew you couldn't back the shit up you was saying!
Abraham Lincoln