Hooknswoop

Trump Supporters

In 2016 I supported Donald Trump to defeat Hillary. Now I am content to let him do his job as a businessman in the office of President. Come 2020 I may support him again.

At that time if the middle class is doing well and has disposable income it will be easy.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I don’t support him, but a close friend is a strong advocate of his. My friend is a salesman and very successful at his job. He sees Trump as the master of making a deal. He sees his inflammatory statements as calculated moves not idiotic bumbling. So politicians normally work on consensus and finding middle ground, trump doesn’t and my friend sees this as major strength.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Some say the same about our Governor here in Florida. They see the decisions that they make as more of a business decision than a political decision like a "career" pol would make.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

Some say the same about our Governor here in Florida. They see the decisions that they make as more of a business decision than a political decision like a "career" pol would make.

If a country or a state is a business, who are the customers, what is the product or service and who are the owners?

Rick

That may well be true. But keep in mind that to a businessman, getting a golden parachute and declaring bankruptcy is often a good option. There's always another company.

Hooknswoop

Just can't help yourselves, can you? I want to understand why people support President Trump, not debate President Trump.

Derek V

I had a few things to add but it depends. Two questions for you. Do you have to be a Trump supporter, or can you post about people you know who are and especially in the (few) ways you agree with them? And two, can we just post it as what we have to say and move on. But I think we've answered that one.

Hooknswoop

Which is why the comment was about the Governor of Florida.

Is Trump the Governor of Florida?

President Trump is not the Governor of Florida and that also is not an opinion of why someone supports President TRump.

Derek V

Looks like you could have just left the comment alone then, but it would seem you just couldn't help yourself.

Hooknswoop

Why people you know support President Trump will help me understand just as well. There are a lot of smart people on both sides. I am thinking that both sides are allowing emotions to guide their opinions more than facts.

Derek V

I really think you’re over analyzing the whole thing. The vast majority of Trump supporters love Donald Trump simply for his ability to piss off the left.

The lack of our president and his supporters ability to live in a fact base world is exactly what is pissing off the left. To claim that the left is just as factless as the right is absurd.

billvon

***Some say the same about our Governor here in Florida. They see the decisions that they make as more of a business decision than a political decision like a "career" pol would make.

That may well be true. But keep in mind that to a businessman, getting a golden parachute and declaring bankruptcy is often a good option. There's always another company.

Very true. I was just agreeing with Nigel's post about the reason some business peeps would support Trump by showing an example I am familiar with.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201712/analysis-trump-supporters-has-identified-5-key-traits

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-rsquo-s-appeal-what-psychology-tells-us/

I like this one:
https://www.britac.ac.uk/blog/trust-people-how-psychology-can-help-us-understand-rise-donald-trump

and the "In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is."
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

So build walls, initiate tariffs, rule by decree and "gut instinct". Its all good, including the lying, for his Fox news followers.

Phil1111

[url]https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201712/analysis-trump-supporters-has-identified-5-key-traits">***[url]https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201712/analysis-trump-supporters-has-identified-5-key-traits

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-rsquo-s-appeal-what-psychology-tells-us/

I like this one:
https://www.britac.ac.uk/blog/trust-people-how-psychology-can-help-us-understand-rise-donald-trump

and the "In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is."
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

So build walls, initiate tariffs, rule by decree and "gut instinct". Its all good, including the lying, for his Fox news followers.

Let's not forget assuming that anyone who voted differently must be stupid or brain damaged. I don't think Trump supporters have any sort of lock on condescending ranting.

Hooknswoop

Why people you know support President Trump will help me understand just as well. There are a lot of smart people on both sides. I am thinking that both sides are allowing emotions to guide their opinions more than facts.

Derek V

It's interesting that so few Trump supporters have posted. It's almost as if they are ashamed that they support him.

I came across an old issue of Rolling Stone recently (Sept 17). It talks largely about Trumps mental state, but in the middle is an interesting commentary on the "Jekyll & Hyde" nature of America.

Trump represents the side of America that held black people in slavery for the first 90 years of it's existence (and long before independence) and held them in an underclass for the next 100 years.
The side of America that claimed "Manifest Destiny" as an excuse for the systematic extermination of the native population.
The side of America that claims to support "democracy and freedom' yet have supported and installed some truly horrific dictators.

I know people who support Trump, claiming that he is a 'successful businessman', yet ignore his multiple, repeated failures.
They completely ignore his blatant fraud and bribing of prosecutors in the "Trump University" crap. Or the fraud and bribing of prosecutors in NYC over the condo development that his kids were part of.
Both should have been prosecuted as felony fraud, but were ignored.
They also ignore the pretty obvious behavior as a sexual predator, downplaying or completely disregarding it ('locker room talk').

What it boils down to is they want to hear what he says. To the point that they ignore reality.
When Obama made the "bitterly clinging to their guns and religion" comment, he was severely criticized.

But he was very close to the truth. Many people in the "Rust Belt" have seen their way of life pretty much disappear.
Manufacturing jobs have largely gone overseas. The ones that are left pay a lot lower than the 'days of old', when one 'mill job' income could easily support a family.
When Trump said he'd bring back those jobs, those people wanted to hear it and bought into it, despite the simple fact that there's no way it was going to happen.

Those same people saw Obama elected, and the systemic and endemic racism came to the front.
The 'birther' garbage came from it.

And Trump jumped on the "Birther" bandwagon, claiming several times that he would produce evidence of it 'soon'. Yet never did (and none of his supporters seem to have cared).

Then he blamed Muslims & Mexicans for all the problems. Those same people bought into it, despite the blatant bigotry and complete lack of truth.

Same with the "Lock Her Up" garbage. I don't like, don't support and didn't vote for HRC, but if the Rs investigated her for as long as they did and couldn't find anything to indict her for, then she likely didn't do anything.
Yet the Trump supporters continue to bring her up. She hasn't put herself into the public eye for a while, yet they keep using her as a point of contention.

I don't think it's any coincidence that many Trump supporters are also climate change deniers.

In both cases, they ignore objective facts, clear evidence and blatant reality because they don't want to believe it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's interesting that so few Trump supporters have posted. It's almost as if they are ashamed that they support him.

Or they don't want to be attacked and have to defend why they support him.

There are smart people that support him, I would like to understand why. I thought I could gain some insight with this thread, purposefully thanking anyone who would share to encourage more people to share.
I tried to stop debates into their reasoning so that more people would share. I failed.

Derek V

Folks desiring of access including traditional Off Road Vehicle access to federal public lands for hunting and fishing or whatever - the type that cannot or do not want to hire big buck guides - have been being methodically prohibited by the federal Interior agencies via rule making, litigation, environmental advocacy PR etc. and for myriad other reasons unacceptable to them (for sure system rigged in favor of environmental attorneys) therefore IMHO hundreds of thousands if not millions of them love Trump and what is happening now whether they personally benefit or not. Just a guess but I do have some experience in that arena.

May want to give up the endeavor hook. ;)

Nice try though.

Hooknswoop

Or they don't want to be attacked and have to defend why they support him.

There are smart people that support him, I would like to understand why. I thought I could gain some insight with this thread, purposefully thanking anyone who would share to encourage more people to share.
I tried to stop debates into their reasoning so that more people would share. I failed.

Derek V

Do you think they're really in fear of being "attacked"? It seems like it would be more similar to why most racist people aren't openly racist. They know it's not 'right', but they still have reasons to feel that way. I think there is an element of shame that comes with such views.

Most Trump positions come down "us vs them". Not many americans want to admit they don't care about the rest of the world. Even less would admit they don't care about minorities. But when they do behind closed doors to vote, and they are promised a better life at the expense of others, guess which choice they will make? Am I getting warmer?

You seem to presume that smart people would have smart reasons for something. That correlation is faulty.

No, smart people can and do make poor decisions. If all of President Trump's supporters were not smart, it would be easy to dismiss them. They are not.

I am just trying to get an understanding of why people support him. I think seeking understanding, even if I don't agree with it, should be applauded and encouraged, not criticized.

Derek V