Phil1111

Sarah Sanders, Feed her, or boot her?

JoeWeber

That you did not bristle at the implication that "Colored Only" facilities could be imposed by a private business advertises for all to see that you are a racist. That is not at all unusual for Southern Christians so it's no surprise that you lighted where you did.

Ron, before you transition get off your beliefs and go somewhere. Anywhere. Well, not a Chick-fil-A. I mean Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta or Bangkok or any of a shitload of places that are multicultural. Just sit and talk to people. Not about what you want them to believe but about what they are thinking. Listen to their lives. Try to see things as they see them just to understand. Or end your days in nowhere Georgia with a bag over your head, plugs in your ears and an ancient book of unerring truth in your hands.

I remember "colored only" in Tampa FL as a youngster. Since 1960 I have not seen nor have I heard anyone advocating that policy again. It may exist but not where I have resided.

All of that is your imagined characteristic of all Southerners.

I have been outside of GA and outside of the U.S.A. I am satisfied where my wife and I are because this is a spiritual center. This is the area where the Trail of Tears began. Later, in 1903, there was a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit near Murphy NC.

Check out Fields of the Wood.

We also have a strong contingent of Vietnam veterans as well as other patriots.

Those are the characteristics that bind us together. Well, that and we all love Chick-fil-a along with McDonald's, Zaxby's, Fatz, Longhorn Steak House, and DQ to name a few.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

They were reacting to someone, rather than setting their own standards. If they set their own standards, then they have to figure out who else is a cheater and/or liar, and refuse to serve them as well. If it's just political operatives, then they should make that clear, as well.

They weren't rude about it, but it's taking the low road, and providing a new (lower) bar for acceptable behavior in public.

As far as a willingness to consort with Republicans being an indicator of inferior moral fiber -- bullshit.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Liberals lose when they act like Donald Trump
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article213778174.html

"It might seem satisfying to liberals to see members of Donald Trump's administration fleeing from restaurants after being shamed by patrons or booted by the owner. That happened to three of Trump's people last week, including press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who was asked to leave the Red Hen in Lexington, Va., by its owner Friday night. Earlier, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and Trump adviser Stephen Miller were shouted out of Washington restaurants....

But such behavior shouldn't feel satisfying, and it's not necessary. It's liberals trying to beat Donald Trump by becoming Donald Trump."

Stephen Miller...mmmm..... thats a different equation?

wmw999

They were reacting to someone, rather than setting their own standards. If they set their own standards, then they have to figure out who else is a cheater and/or liar, and refuse to serve them as well.

There is zero reason to believe they do not do exactly that. Sanders is exceptional in the sense that she publicly advocates hate as part of her job. They do not need to ask every single Trump supporter to leave in order to be consistent.

wmw999

They weren't rude about it, but it's taking the low road …

They took the high road. That you would have acted differently (without necessarily resorting to the low road), doesn't change that any. Sanders' response was the low road, and illegal. It's very clear in the aftermath, the owners have acted with much greater dignity than the WH.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

billvon

>And I don't think it's Sanders who is coming out of this with a black eye, reputation wise.

In a normal administration she would, since it looks like her response violated federal law. But in this administration, illegal activity is the norm, and a little thing like a violation of federal ethics laws doesn't even move the needle.

=============
Ex-White House Ethics Chief: Sanders’ Tweet on Restaurant Eviction Violates the Law

By DANIEL POLITI
SLATE

JUNE 24, 201811:36 AM

When Sarah Huckabee Sanders took to her official Twitter account to recount how she was kicked out of a Virginia restaurant, it launched a vicious online attack campaign against the establishment. It also amounted to a violation of federal ethics laws. At least according to the former head of the U.S. office of Government Ethics. “Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left,” Sanders tweeted on Saturday from her official @PressSec account as online reports about the incident began to spread. “Her actions say far more about her than about me.”

Walter Shaub, who was the federal government’s top ethics watchdog for five years until mid-2017, said the tweet amounted to a clear violation of federal ethics laws. “Sarah, I know you don’t care even a tiny little bit about the ethics rules, but using your official account for this is a clear violation of 5 CFR 2635.702(a),” Shaub wrote on Twitter. He was referring to a section of the law that says government employees can’t use their public position for private gain. “It’s the same as if an ATF agent pulled out his badge when a restaurant tried to throw him/her out,” Shaub explained.
================

I am curious what was the "private gain"? The follow up example of the ATF agent is not anywhere near what reportedly happened.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

***>And I don't think it's Sanders who is coming out of this with a black eye, reputation wise.

In a normal administration she would, since it looks like her response violated federal law. But in this administration, illegal activity is the norm, and a little thing like a violation of federal ethics laws doesn't even move the needle.

=============
Ex-White House Ethics Chief: Sanders’ Tweet on Restaurant Eviction Violates the Law

By DANIEL POLITI
SLATE

JUNE 24, 201811:36 AM

When Sarah Huckabee Sanders took to her official Twitter account to recount how she was kicked out of a Virginia restaurant, it launched a vicious online attack campaign against the establishment. It also amounted to a violation of federal ethics laws. At least according to the former head of the U.S. office of Government Ethics. “Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left,” Sanders tweeted on Saturday from her official @PressSec account as online reports about the incident began to spread. “Her actions say far more about her than about me.”

Walter Shaub, who was the federal government’s top ethics watchdog for five years until mid-2017, said the tweet amounted to a clear violation of federal ethics laws. “Sarah, I know you don’t care even a tiny little bit about the ethics rules, but using your official account for this is a clear violation of 5 CFR 2635.702(a),” Shaub wrote on Twitter. He was referring to a section of the law that says government employees can’t use their public position for private gain. “It’s the same as if an ATF agent pulled out his badge when a restaurant tried to throw him/her out,” Shaub explained.
================

I am curious what was the "private gain"? The follow up example of the ATF agent is not anywhere near what reportedly happened.

The corollary is that official accounts cannot be used to single out individual persons or businesses for personal reasons, for which Sanders clearly used hers, as Trump did with his, subsequently.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

RonD1120

That you did not bristle at the implication that "Colored Only" facilities could be imposed by a private business advertises for all to see that you are a racist. That is not at all unusual for Southern Christians so it's no surprise that you lighted where you did.

Ron, before you transition get off your beliefs and go somewhere. Anywhere. Well, not a Chick-fil-A. I mean Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta or Bangkok or any of a shitload of places that are multicultural. Just sit and talk to people. Not about what you want them to believe but about what they are thinking. Listen to their lives. Try to see things as they see them just to understand. Or end your days in nowhere Georgia with a bag over your head, plugs in your ears and an ancient book of unerring truth in your hands.

I remember "colored only" in Tampa FL as a youngster. Since 1960 I have not seen nor have I heard anyone advocating that policy again. It may exist but not where I have resided.

I have been outside of GA and outside of the U.S.A. I am satisfied where my wife and I are because this is a spiritual center. This is the area where the Trail of Tears began. Later, in 1903, there was a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit near Murphy NC.

Those are the characteristics that bind us together. Well, that and we all love Chick-fil-a along with McDonald's, Zaxby's, Fatz, Longhorn Steak House, and DQ to name a few.

>I remember "colored only" in Tampa FL as a youngster. Since 1960 I have not seen >nor have I heard anyone advocating that policy again. It may exist but not where I >have resided.

That's great but not an answer. Do you think a private business should be allowed to exclude anyone they like regardless of reason as a fundamental prerogative? For example African Americans, Homosexuals, Sikhs, Muslims, Liars or anyone else that makes the business owner feel uncomfortable??

>All of that is your imagined characteristic of all Southerners.

I didn't state "all Southerners". I stated that racism is not unusual amongst Southern Christians. That, I believe, is a true statement.

>I have been outside of GA and outside of the U.S.A.

To what benefit? You do not write or think like any well travelled person I know. Travel and get to know the others, Ron. That's what I'm suggesting to you, not going to Tampa or expanding your junk food diet. Instead, try the food court in Singapore, or the carts in Penang, a bowl of Pho in Hanoi, the night market in Bangkok, a glass of Kolsh in Cologne or wine in Paris and talk to the locals. It's not too late.

The corollary is that official accounts cannot be used to single out individual persons or businesses for personal reasons, for which Sanders clearly used hers, as Trump did with his, subsequently.

One could argue this was not personal, but political. Had she been kicked out for a personal reason not related to her job...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

One could argue this was not personal, but political. Had she been kicked out for a personal reason not related to her job...

I think using it for political reasons is what is prohibited. I know Trump does it all the time. But Trump has no respect for laws that inhibit his actions. Only for laws that he can use to try to control others.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

SkyDekker

Yeah, birth control and dinner are totally the same.

That's downright silly. The issue is people deciding to not do their job because of their personal beliefs. It doesn't matter what the product or service is.

JoeWeber

>I remember "colored only" in Tampa FL as a youngster. Since 1960 I have not seen >nor have I heard anyone advocating that policy again. It may exist but not where I >have resided.

That's great but not an answer. Do you think a private business should be allowed to exclude anyone they like regardless of reason as a fundamental prerogative? For example African Americans, Homosexuals, Sikhs, Muslims, Liars or anyone else that makes the business owner feel uncomfortable??

I didn't state "all Southerners". I stated that racism is not unusual amongst Southern Christians. That, I believe, is a true statement.

To what benefit? You do not write or think like any well travelled person I know. Travel and get to know the others, Ron. That's what I'm suggesting to you, not going to Tampa or expanding your junk food diet. Instead, try the food court in Singapore, or the carts in Penang, a bowl of Pho in Hanoi, the night market in Bangkok, a glass of Kolsh in Cologne or wine in Paris and talk to the locals. It's not too late.

I stated my belief regarding the rights of business owners above. It is my belief, it is not the law.

At this stage of life, the places we will visit are in America only. My wife wants to go to Alaska but I am reluctant. She also wants to get me on a cruise. I say no way. We'll see, she is persuasive.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>That's downright silly. The issue is people deciding to not do their job because of their
>personal beliefs. It doesn't matter what the product or service is.

So it doesn't matter whether the service you are withholding is table service in a fancy restaurant or medical care?

I am glad that most people disagree.

Bob_Church

******The restaurant owner and her staff have a lot of like minded people out there.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/alex-barker-pharmd/2015/08/pharmacists-refusing-to-fill-spark-national-controversy

Yeah, birth control and dinner are totally the same.

That's downright silly. The issue is people deciding to not do their job because of their personal beliefs. It doesn't matter what the product or service is.

Of course it matters. Some jobs are easily done by others, some jobs not so much. Some impacts are significantly bigger than others.

Then there is the issue around protected classes.

Why is there such a need to simplify everything in the US and take any nuance out of things?

>Why is there such a need to simplify everything in the US and take any nuance out
>of things?

It's bothsiderism. Any two opinions have equal weight. This extends to issues like this as well. Any two services are equally important. Can't finish your dinner at a fancy restaurant? That's no different than being denied medication by your pharmacist. Separating families and detaining the kids? That's no different than when Obama picked up unaccompanied kids and put them in detention. A congresswoman says push back? That's no different than when Trump promised to pay the legal bills of anyone who physically attacked protesters, or when his campaign manager assaulted a reporter. Flat earthers vs. geographers? They both have to be given equal time. Everything has equal weight.

RonD1120

I stated my belief regarding the rights of business owners above. It is my belief, it is not the law.

At this stage of life, the places we will visit are in America only. My wife wants to go to Alaska but I am reluctant. She also wants to get me on a cruise. I say no way. We'll see, she is persuasive.

To be clear, it is this statement. Correct?

>I believe strongly that any business person has the right to refuse service to anyone.

jclalor

Wait until an establishment refuses service to Christians or Veterans... The revolution will be on.

I am simply stunned, unlike more seasoned SC posters, that Ron would openly and in a public forum admit to condoning racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry or any other pretense, no matter how thin or unfair, as perfectly legitimate reasons to discriminate and yet in the same breath also claim to be a follower of Christ.

This hurts my head. I think I need to be banned again.

JoeWeber

***Wait until an establishment refuses service to Christians or Veterans... The revolution will be on.

I am simply stunned, unlike more seasoned SC posters, that Ron would openly and in a public forum admit to condoning racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry or any other pretense, no matter how thin or unfair, as perfectly legitimate reasons to discriminate and yet in the same breath also claim to be a follower of Christ.

This hurts my head. I think I need to be banned again.

He is a christian who prefers to be around like minded people. You seem to make the mistake that you think that means fellow christians as the most important factor. I think it is pretty clear that other factors are more important, the christian part is a "nice to have".

"Christian" is the name Ron's tribe uses to describe itself. They show very little inclination to follow the teaching of Christ. They are only interested in two aspects of it. The white western cultural connections, and the promise of magically being absolved of their sins. They see Christ not as a leader, but as a tool to be used.

God gave them Trump as POTUS, but somehow was unable to stop Satan from forcing Obama on them. It's sort of like a horse wearing blinkers. Only they choose to be partially blinded on purpose. They are far from being the only group of people using religion in this way though. Keeping the tribe together is one of the main goals of most religions.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

that Ron would openly and in a public forum admit to condoning racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry or any other pretense, no matter how thin or unfair, as perfectly legitimate reasons to discriminate and yet in the same breath also claim to be a follower of Christ.

He didn't. He said that he thought that any business person has the right to refuse service to anyone. That's not the same as "condoning racism." At most it is providing others with the opportunity to be racists.

You think it should be legal to own guns. Does that mean you publicly condone murder?

billvon

that Ron would openly and in a public forum admit to condoning racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry or any other pretense, no matter how thin or unfair, as perfectly legitimate reasons to discriminate and yet in the same breath also claim to be a follower of Christ.

He didn't. He said that he thought that any business person has the right to refuse service to anyone. That's not the same as "condoning racism." At most it is providing others with the opportunity to be racists.

You think it should be legal to own guns. Does that mean you publicly condone murder?

Not publicly. If Ron believes it's cool for a business to turn someone away for no other reason than the color of their skin, how is that not condoning racism?