Phil1111

Sarah Sanders, Feed her, or boot her?

"The owner of the Virginia restaurant who asked White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave her establishment on Friday night said she did not regret her decision.

“I would have done the same thing again,” Stephanie Wilkinson, the owner of the Red Hen restaurant told the Washington Post. “We just felt there are moments in time when people need to live their convictions. This appeared to be one.”

The small restaurant found itself in the national spotlight after Sanders tweeted Saturday morning that she had been asked to leave Red Hen, which is located in Lexington Virginia, because she works in the Trump administration. Sanders did not mention Wilkinson by name, but it was clear the press secretary disagreed with her decision. “Her actions say far more about her than about me,” Sanders said. “I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”
http://time.com/5320482/sarah-huckabee-sanders-virginia-restaurant/

I would have treated her as just another customer. I assume all kinds of people, some of them actually far more evil than her eat there. I would have been careful not to let my wife know she was in the dining room though. Every time Sarah is on TV my wife wants to punch her in the throat.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

As someone said:

She was not refused service due to her race, gender, religion, nor sexual orientation;
She was refused service because she lies to the American public on a daily basis.
And liars are not a protected class.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Phil1111

What? No comments or votes for the pernicious "Chef" actions?

Adultering food is a crime.

I agree with Ryoder that liars aren't a protected class.

If she thinks she can do what she does with no consequences at all, then she has found out that some people will treat her badly because of what she does.

TFB (Too Bad).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Phil1111

What? No comments or votes for the pernicious "Chef" actions?

Wilkinson told the Post that she wasn’t even in the restaurant when Sanders initially entered; she received a call from the chef at 8 p.m., who told her that Sanders was in the restaurant and the staff was concerned. When she arrived at the restaurant, she told the staff that she could ask Sanders to leave, and they said they wanted her to do that.

Would be curious to know the immigration status of the chef and other employees.

Business owner saw a way to get a ton of free press and be seen as a hero to her employees. Hopefully all the employees are legal as they just painted a big bullseye on themselves.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

Business owner saw a way to get a ton of free press and be seen as a hero to her employees.

Or simply had integrity and backbone to do the honorable thing, despite the risks.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Phil1111

"Sanders did not mention Wilkinson by name, but it was clear the press secretary disagreed with her decision. “Her actions say far more about her than about me,” Sanders said. “I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”

So it's perfectly fine to refuse service to people because of their sexual orientation (for example the baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding), but it's not OK to refuse service to someone who advocates hurting children to send a message to their parents? :S>:(

Don

GeorgiaDon

***"Sanders did not mention Wilkinson by name, but it was clear the press secretary disagreed with her decision. “Her actions say far more about her than about me,” Sanders said. “I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”

So it's perfectly fine to refuse service to people because of their sexual orientation (for example the baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding), but it's not OK to refuse service to someone who advocates hurting children to send a message to their parents? :S>:(

Don

Did you read this Ron? I'll bet you felt all warm and fuzzy when the baker beat the gays. I expect you'll deny it but no one will believe you. And I'll also bet you were immediately outraged that SS was pitched out of a restaurant for what she believes and does and who she does it with. Because that's different, right?

They weren't being asked to put up her posters in the window for vote R, they were asked to do their job in a professional and adult manner. They were neither.
They managed to make themselves look like a bunch of petty, pissy little people.
I can't imagine eating any food they've been alone with.

GeorgiaDon

So it's perfectly fine to refuse service to people because of their sexual orientation (for example the baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding), but it's not OK to refuse service to someone who advocates hurting children to send a message to their parents?

SCOTUS didn't allow bakers to refuse service for LBQT related weddings. The narrow ruling essentially said that, no, you can't do that, but because the city were such assholes in the way they went about punishing this particular instance, you get a pass, this time.

Bob_Church

They weren't being asked to put up her posters in the window for vote R, they were asked to do their job in a professional and adult manner. They were neither.
They managed to make themselves look like a bunch of petty, pissy little people.
I can't imagine eating any food they've been alone with.

They refused service to a liar who routinely defends the indefensible actions of a corrupt, traitorous sexual predator (and those are his good points). As was pointed out, they have the right to refuse service to anyone, as long as it isn't discriminatory. Political affiliations aren't 'protected'. Neither are liars.

After being refused service, Sanders used her government Twitter account to make a petty, pissy little complaint. Which is illegal.
Go figure.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

It was an error in judgement to my mind. On the principle famously vocalized by Michelle Obama:

"When they go low, we go high."

They went low, and that allowed Sarah and company to make they look small.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Bob_Church

They weren't being asked to put up her posters in the window for vote R, they were asked to do their job in a professional and adult manner.

Which they did. Refusing service to a nazi-sympathizing administration member in no way negates that. Part of their job is to provide pleasant ambience for diners. It's pretty easy to understand how breaking bread near Sanders could turn a lot of peoples' stomachs.

Bob_Church

They managed to …

… demonstrate that they have spines and integrity, unlike Sanders.

Phil1111

"The owner of the Virginia restaurant who asked White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave her establishment on Friday night said she did not regret her decision.

“I would have done the same thing again,” Stephanie Wilkinson, the owner of the Red Hen restaurant told the Washington Post. “We just felt there are moments in time when people need to live their convictions. This appeared to be one.”

The small restaurant found itself in the national spotlight after Sanders tweeted Saturday morning that she had been asked to leave Red Hen, which is located in Lexington Virginia, because she works in the Trump administration. Sanders did not mention Wilkinson by name, but it was clear the press secretary disagreed with her decision. “Her actions say far more about her than about me,” Sanders said. “I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”

If a restaurant inside the Beltway refuses service to liars, it won't be in business long.

Anyone who thinks the current administration has exclusive rights to inaccuracy is delusional.

winsor

***"The owner of the Virginia restaurant who asked White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave her establishment on Friday night said she did not regret her decision.

If a restaurant inside the Beltway refuses service to liars, it won't be in business long.

Anyone who thinks the current administration has exclusive rights to inaccuracy is delusional.

Once people start using the term Nazi there just isn't much sense in discussion. I wonder what would happen if we started referring to people we disagree with as Klingons? It makes as much sense.

winsor

Very true.

But the current administration has far exceeded the level of deliberate lies, not just 'inaccuracies' by a large (and I mean HYOOOOGE) margin.
Not to mention the embracing of monstrous dictators, praise of Nazis, alienation of our historical allies, nepotism and corruption. All on an unprecedented scale.

Once people start using the term Nazi there just isn't much sense in discussion. I wonder what would happen if we started referring to people we disagree with as Klingons? It makes as much sense.

But who is using that term? They refused her service for being a liar, not a Nazi. As far as I know you are the first to bring up that word. The restaurant owner certainly did not call Sarah that.

jcd11235

***So it's perfectly fine to refuse service to people because of their sexual orientation (for example the baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding), but it's not OK to refuse service to someone who advocates hurting children to send a message to their parents?

SCOTUS didn't allow bakers to refuse service for LBQT related weddings. The narrow ruling essentially said that, no, you can't do that, but because the city were such assholes in the way they went about punishing this particular instance, you get a pass, this time.That is true, regarding the actual scope of the SCOTUS ruling. Nevertheless, the Trump administration spoke about the ruling as if it legitimized discriminating against same-sex couples on "religious freedom" grounds. We saw the same (uninformed) reaction from some Trumpites here in SC. The Trump administration blatantly promotes discrimination against people based on religion, sexual orientation, race, financial status, national origin, education ("I love the poorly educated"), and probably a few more things I haven't mentioned. They even insist that people they don't like should not have basic constitutional rights such as due process. Yet, they demand that they themselves must be treated with "respect" at all times. Well, "respect" or "absolute deference".

Don

gowlerk

But who is using that term? They refused her service for being a liar, not a Nazi. As far as I know you are the first to bring up that word. The restaurant owner certainly did not call Sarah that.

I've yet to see a discussion about this or just about anything else that didn't use the term Nazi. I'm not talking about at the restaurant but the resulting discussions.
What I worry about is whether or not the attitudes that hating Trump has created will stay after he's gone. Will we ever go back to talking like adults again?

Bob_Church

You do understand that, after a Nazi ran a car into a crowd and killed a woman, that Trump defended the Nazis, saying that some of them were "Fine People", don't you?

When the term "Nazi" is brought up in reference to Trump, it's because he actually spoke up in their defense, as President of the United States.

This isn't standard 'name calling', it's calling out actual, despicable behavior on Trump's part.

They were quite professional. They politely asked her to leave and did not charge her for the food she had already eaten.

Actions have consequences.

>Once people start using the term Nazi there just isn't much sense in discussion. I wonder
>what would happen if we started referring to people we disagree with as Klingons? It makes as
>much sense.

If the President of the United States started defending Klingons and insisting some of them were fine people, and retweeting "Klingon" posts, and promoting "Klingon" politicians - then yes, people would discuss it. Even if you didn't understand why.

Don't want to talk about Nazis (or Klingons?) Get your president to stop supporting them.