billvon

Trump's policy on 'detaining' children

SkyDekker

I have a theory about this:

We have been under the assumption this message was for us.
We were wrong.
The message was for just one recipient.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Trump tweet from this morning:

"We cannot allow our Country to be overrun by illegal immigrants as the Democrats tell their phony stories of sadness and grief, hoping it will help them in the elections. Obama and others had the same pictures, and did nothing about it!"

So one sentence - "those stories about separations are fake." Very next sentence - "Obama did it first!" That's some truthiness there.

Meanwhile the fine folks at FOX News had a segment on this. They pointed out that "they're not our kids!" "It's not like Trump is doing this to kids from Idaho or Texas!"

So that gives us the next in the long list of right wing excuses for Trump's (recently postponed) policy of separating families - they're not _our_ kids being separated.

Updated list:

- Trump didn't do it
- OK maybe he did do it but it's not that bad
- Obama did it first
- Clinton did it first
- It's the Democrat's fault
- The Bible said to do it
- We're not really doing it; they are fake families
- We're not really doing it; they are 'hardened adults' not kids
- We're not really doing it; the kids are actors
- It's not so bad; those cages are 'essentially summer camps'
- It's not so bad; those cages are really just warehouse walls that happen to be chain link fence
- It's not so bad; those cages are like baseball diamonds, and kids like those
- It's not so bad; they're not _our_ kids being separated from their families, so it's OK

billvon

And for wearing sneakers.

"but how do you champion yourself as a common person's political party and then wear $540 high-fashion, French-designed shoes to feed the homeless? Just another daily nugget of hypocrisy."

From FOX:

=======
Michelle Obama Wears $540 Designer Sneakers to Feed the Poor
Published May 01, 2009
Fox News

It's a first lady faux pas -- wearing expensive, high-fashion French designer sneakers to a food bank.

Michelle Obama wore the sneakers, made by Lanvin, while helping feed the poor at a Washington food bank on Wednesday. The pricetag on the footwear? A cool $540.

Keds, they're not.

The sneakers, which come in denim and satin, are a favorite of comic Ellen DeGeneres and rapper Kanye West -- and they're "certainly not a reflection of the poor economy," said FOX News' Noelle Watters
========

But asking about a first lady wearing an "I really don't care, do u?" jacket to an event where she was ostensibly trying to prove she cared about children separated from their parents and detained? That's inappropriate! Evil liberal media!

Then my dad's wife complained that the media was way too critical of Melania's wearing stilettos as she left the White House when the Trumps were headed to Texas to check out hurricane damage. At least Michelle was wearing a sneaker. Who wears high heels to a natural disaster??
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

It just seems so out of character for her. She's typically much classier than that.

I prefer to think that the target of the message was her husband. But who knows?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Although it's highly disgusting, I got admit it's fun watching you guys follow the media lies that have been posted about this one after another. Hope you guys are proud!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Do you realize that the children and the parents are detained together for 20 days and then deported as a family unit? It is not catch and release.

And, why do these children speak English so well if they are coming up from Spanish speaking countries?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

gowlerk

So Marc, now that Trump has backed down on holding children hostage are you done defending it?

I want to check something but googling any variation on it I can think of just deluges me with stuff about what's going on now.
I remember awhile back when they put out warnings to potential immigrants about what they'd find if they did get to the US border. It was a list of reasons not to even try and was distributed through pamphlets, radio broadcasts and advocates in a way that nobody thinking about coming to the US could miss it.
I'm trying to find out if the separation was part of it. I'm pretty sure it was but would like to know one way or other for certain. But I do remember that at the time the whole package was meant to serve as a deterrent. "No decent parent would bring their child here knowing that this would happen."

RonD1120

And, why do these children speak English so well if they are coming up from Spanish speaking countries?

Percentage of each country that is fluent in English.
Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/which-countries-are-best-at-english-as-a-second-language-4d24c8c8-6cf6-4067-a753-4c82b4bc865b/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

south-american-english.png

gowlerk

So Marc, now that Trump has backed down on holding children hostage are you done defending it?

Your post only exaggerates the lies that you are being fed by your faithful media! Congratulations! You should be proud.
Abraham Lincoln

RonD1120

Do you realize that the children and the parents are detained together for 20 days and then deported as a family unit? It is not catch and release.

You speak the truth. You have to realize they don't care Ron! This is about The political Vision needed for them to win the next election. Nothing more, nothing less.
Abraham Lincoln

>And, why do these children speak English so well if they are coming up from
>Spanish speaking countries?

Because it is taught almost everywhere.

I thought "they don't even speak English" was one of the primary reasons to not let them in.

"But online and in live media, they're paid for being first, and/or most shocking (click bait). So while truth is a goal, they're not paid for it. And some people (particularly the ones who mainly copy and paste others' news) really don't care as much about the story as they do about making their (liberal or conservative) customers comfortably smug in their beliefs. Because that gets more clicks.

Wendy P. "

I feel sorry for the photojournalism students. I've seen how hard they work, how they're trained and what they hope to do. I can remember when all that paid off and many of them, people I knew personally, made a difference. Now they don't have a chance.

This is not true. Your sources are incorrect. 20 days is the maximum that the children can be held in detention. Deporting the parents takes much longer. With the backup in the system, it is typically years. In the meantime all these dark skinned people will be busy making anchor babies. Your country is going to turn darker and darker skinned every day. They will even be infesting the GA hills sooner or later. The good news is that they are Christians, so they will fit right into your church.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I feel sorry for the photojournalism students. I've seen how hard they work, how they're trained and what they hope to do. I can remember when all that paid off and many of them, people I knew personally, made a difference. Now they don't have a chance.

Many still do. NPR, the BBC, AP, AFP and The Economist are all sources that put a higher priority on content than on clickbait. (Primarily because they provide news to _other_ organizations that are more interested in clickbait.) But there is definitely a smaller market for journalists who want to be a reporter and not an enticer.

billvon

>And, why do these children speak English so well if they are coming up from

I thought "they don't even speak English" was one of the primary reasons to not let them in.

No, the primary reason not to let them in is that they are seeking to enter illegally. A country without borders is not a country.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

ryoder

Percentage of each country that is fluent in English.
Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/which-countries-are-best-at-english-as-a-second-language-4d24c8c8-6cf6-4067-a753-4c82b4bc865b/

Its all part of their MS-13 training. How can they rob someone if they only speak Spanglish?

>No, the primary reason not to let them in is that they are seeking to enter illegally.

Then the solution is simple - make it legal and give them a path to citizenship.

>A country without borders is not a country.

So Iceland and Australia are not countries?

>Are you suggesting the border should be opened and anybody can just walk right up
>and get a rubber-stamp?

Nope. Biometric scan to see if they are criminals. Yes? Immediate deportation. No? He gets a date for his first hearing. Hearing determines what happens next, and gives a little time for the prospective immigrant to prepare an application and/or the government to prepare an objection.

Then the hearing happens. Is this guy a truck driver or a nurse? He might get an immediate application for a green card - because those professions are strongly in demand. Or is he a liquor store owner? Then he might get a 60-180 day work visa that allows him to work for a while in the US. At the end of that his case gets reviewed again. Is he doing well, lots of references, letter from the local Chamber of Commerce? He's on the path to green card. Is he doing OK, no problems? Maybe another hearing in 180 days. Arrested for driving drunk, then resisting arrest? Back he goes. (And now we have his biometrics, so he won't find it so easy to come back.)

Such systems would do more than anything else to end illegal immigration - because now there would be a legal option for people who arrive at the border with nothing.

My grandparents showed up in New York Harbor (well, my grandfather actually) with nothing; he spent everything he had on the ticket. Fortunately after a physical and a test he was allowed to enter, and he spent the next several years working to make enough to bring my grandmother over. They were not illegal immigrants because they didn't need to be - the US, at that time, opened its doors to immigrants who followed the rules, and that process made the US what it is today.

>Problem is there are far more people that want to come through the gate than the
>system and country can absorb . . . .

Why do you think that? Immigration as a percentage of our population is lower than when my grandparents came over; that wasn't "more than we could absorb." Ever since before the US has been a country, people here have been saying that immigrants will end the US; that everyone will be speaking German (or Italian, or be drunk all the time like the Irish) rather than English. Has never happened. Every group of immigrants we've added has made the country a little stronger and a little more diverse. And we're not even seeing as many, on a percentage basis, as we were in 1910.

RonD1120

***>And, why do these children speak English so well if they are coming up from

No, the primary reason not to let them in is that they are seeking to enter illegally. A country without borders is not a country.

Binary thinking, as always. Ron, your black and white world view may work in your backwoods Georgia world that you hold so dear but out here in the wider real world you come off as woefully ignorant. Again.

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1010900865602019329?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"We cannot allow all of these people to invade our Country. When somebody comes in, we must immediately, with no Judges or Court Cases, bring them back from where they came."

I guess his education never got as far as the 14th Amendment.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.