2 2
billvon

Tariffs

So, are you saying the British Prime Minister is positioning us for war with Mexico? 

Or is it just that; Hitler made Number 2 on a toilet, Trump makes Number 2 on a toilet; therefore Trump is a Nazi. 

Thanks for stopping in with yet another one-liner zing without actually contributing to the dialogue. :(

14 hours ago, billvon said:

Hey, today he waved around a piece of paper and said it was a secret additional agreement that's REALLY REALLY great.  Not like that other stuff he lied about.  Why isn't everyone celebrating?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/11/post-photographer-snapped-an-image-trumps-alleged-secret-mexico-deal-heres-what-it-says/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cdaf640234f4

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Or is it just that; Hitler made Number 2 on a toilet, Trump makes Number 2 on a toilet; therefore Trump is a Nazi. 

There is no conceivable way in which that would be the metaphor. 

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Thanks for stopping in with yet another one-liner zing without actually contributing to the dialogue. :(

Hi Keith,

IMO he very definitely did 'contribute to the dialogue.'  It would seem to me that it went right over your head.

I think the term is:  Swoosh

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, jakee said:

There is no conceivable way in which that would be the metaphor.

It's not a metaphor; nor was it intended to be one. It's a really bad example of an ethymeme. I thought the liberals could relate better if I spoke as they do. 

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

It's not a metaphor; nor was it intended to be one. It's a really bad example of an ethymeme. I thought the liberals could relate better if I spoke as they do. 

That's such a bad example of an enthymeme as to not even be one. But you're intentionally misunderstanding again. There's no possible way that Kallend's post could be misinterpreted as suggesting that Trump is a Nazi. In the metaphor Trump is Chamberlain. Chamberlain was not a Nazi. I assume you are able to follow that.

By pretending you're incapable of comprehending either post just so you can get some digs in at a political opponent you speak like nothing as much as a modern conservativeo.O

• Like 1

(edited)

8 Minute Planet Money podcast is the first link. The second link is the more accurate 22-minute version which is worth listening to the end. 

Counterfeiting in China.  This is what U.S. businesses are up against in China, but the 8-minute version skips some important details, that are at the end of the 22-minute version.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/20/705252675/how-a-small-indiana-company-fought-back-against-chinese-counterfeiters

In this version of the podcast, NPR cut out the ending, which as a discussion that China will only go after counterfeiters in non-strategic industries. In this case a small glue manufacturer.  If this business were in a strategic industry like semiconductors, this would not have been the end result

This is the 22-minute version.  Skip to the last three minutes and contrast is with the shorter version. Different ending.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/03/15/702643451/episode-900-the-stolen-company

Edited by AlanS
Found the longer more accurate version of Podcast.

11 hours ago, AlanS said:

8 Minute Planet Money podcast is the first link. The second link is the more accurate 22-minute version which is worth listening to the end. 

Counterfeiting in China.  This is what U.S. businesses are up against in China, but the 8-minute version skips some important details, that are at the end of the 22-minute version.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/20/705252675/how-a-small-indiana-company-fought-back-against-chinese-counterfeiters

In this version of the podcast, NPR cut out the ending, which as a discussion that China will only go after counterfeiters in non-strategic industries. In this case a small glue manufacturer.  If this business were in a strategic industry like semiconductors, this would not have been the end result

This is the 22-minute version.  Skip to the last three minutes and contrast is with the shorter version. Different ending.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/03/15/702643451/episode-900-the-stolen-company

Its a shame when the media spins things and edits them for their own purposes and bias.

ESPECIALLY - public radio - 

They have an obligation to not do that.

12 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Its a shame when the media spins things and edits them for their own purposes and bias.

ESPECIALLY - public radio - 

They have an obligation to not do that.

Yes, I was disappointed with how they edited the 8-minute version of the podcast. They were creatively editing the ending to sell us on a conclusion that isn't supported in the longer version of the podcast. 

11 hours ago, AlanS said:

The tariffs we apply to a country should be tied directly to that country's freedom house index. If a country wants to trade with us, and our allies they need to improve their freedom house index. 

See the map associated with this article. 

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-media/freedom-media-2019

Is it me - or does this seem to be being ignored by the left leaning crowd, here in this forum for some reason?